Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Smith[_21_] John Smith[_21_] is offline

Default Virgin Media ...

On 2021-05-26 07:11:33 +0000, John Armstrong said:

On Wed, 26 May 2021 00:10:17 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 25/05/2021 16:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

Do you mean ta ta to the newsgroups, or to their news server (which is a
re-sold service from an external provider anyway these days)?

I got an email from Virgin on Monday which says:

"We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being
removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this
time you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform."

So I take it that they're removing the news server. No apology, no
more advice. Pity, because their broadband and cable tv are quite
efficient.

Could someone please recommend where I could now get Usenet access?

I use the VM news server - have been on Usenet groups for many years
using various servers. I have not had this email.

I can give +1 for Astraweb - just buy a block not a monthly sub and it
will last you probably a lifetime if you use mainly news and not binary
groups. It also has a long retention so you can browse back over the
years, at least to 2003 I think.