Posted to uk.d-i-y
SH[_4_] SH[_4_] is offline

Default Virgin Media ...

On 26/05/2021 08:11, John Armstrong wrote:
On Wed, 26 May 2021 00:10:17 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 25/05/2021 16:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

Do you mean ta ta to the newsgroups, or to their news server (which is a
re-sold service from an external provider anyway these days)?

I got an email from Virgin on Monday which says:

"We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being
removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this
time you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform."

So I take it that they're removing the news server. No apology, no
more advice. Pity, because their broadband and cable tv are quite
efficient.

Could someone please recommend where I could now get Usenet access?

I had been with Virginmedia for getting on for nearly 10 years and I
used the VM news server.

Fibre was laid in my street and so I jumped ship from Virginmedia to
Vodafone.

Vodafone don't have a news server.

Being the tight git I am, I signed up with AIOE and also with Eternal
September.

Both news servers do not do binaries so if that is your thing, then
you're looking at a paid service from the likes of Astraweb or Giganews.