Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; Virgin Media service.

Modem died on Monday PM, part of the telly/landline/internet package. Modem
10-12 years old?

Called Virgin Media around 7pm. Guy said he would send a new modem FOC, it
would take 3 days to arrive. It arrived today, took 5 mins to install
following the idiot guide supplied.

Not even charging me for the time I was off line.

I call that excellent after sales service.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman scribeth thus
Modem died on Monday PM, part of the telly/landline/internet package. Modem
10-12 years old?

Called Virgin Media around 7pm. Guy said he would send a new modem FOC, it
would take 3 days to arrive. It arrived today, took 5 mins to install
following the idiot guide supplied.

Is that one of the little Blue ones there very good

Not even charging me for the time I was off line.

I call that excellent after sales service.

Yep there're not half as bad as people make them out to be, and the 10
meg service what I pay for is what I get

Unlike the Bizz ADSL where we're paying for 8 but rarely get that;(..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Modem died on Monday PM, part of the telly/landline/internet package.
Modem 10-12 years old?

Called Virgin Media around 7pm. Guy said he would send a new modem FOC,
it would take 3 days to arrive. It arrived today, took 5 mins to install
following the idiot guide supplied.

Not even charging me for the time I was off line.

I call that excellent after sales service.

Exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Modem died on Monday PM, part of the telly/landline/internet package. Modem
10-12 years old?

Called Virgin Media around 7pm. Guy said he would send a new modem FOC, it
would take 3 days to arrive. It arrived today, took 5 mins to install
following the idiot guide supplied.

Not even charging me for the time I was off line.

I call that excellent after sales service.

I had a very similar experience with VM a few months back.

I find it quite interesting that we have been so conditioned by poor
service that we tend to comment when we get the sort of service we
always hope for?!!

Some years ago when I moved from NTL dial-up to their Broadband, the
installer gave me his mobile number and said to call him if I had any
problems in the first couple of weeks and thereafter gave me a freephone
number to bypass the high charging helpline for free.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Modem died on Monday PM, part of the telly/landline/internet package.
Modem 10-12 years old?

Called Virgin Media around 7pm. Guy said he would send a new modem FOC,
it would take 3 days to arrive. It arrived today, took 5 mins to install
following the idiot guide supplied.

Not even charging me for the time I was off line.

I call that excellent after sales service.

Retired church friend had a problem with her VM dsl a couple of weeks back.
She called VM
"Oh, we are planning on changing your modem anyway next month as part of the
upgrade to higher speed broadband, we'll not do anything until then"
So she's without mail and broadband for the best part of a month. I was
disgusted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Modem died on Monday PM, part of the telly/landline/internet
package. Modem 10-12 years old?

Called Virgin Media around 7pm. Guy said he would send a new modem
FOC, it would take 3 days to arrive. It arrived today, took 5 mins
to install following the idiot guide supplied.

Not even charging me for the time I was off line.

I call that excellent after sales service.

I had a very similar experience with VM a few months back.

I find it quite interesting that we have been so conditioned by poor
service that we tend to comment when we get the sort of service we
always hope for?!!

Some years ago when I moved from NTL dial-up to their Broadband, the
installer gave me his mobile number and said to call him if I had any
problems in the first couple of weeks and thereafter gave me a
freephone number to bypass the high charging helpline for free.

When I did the same about 3 years ago, now, I had to have a new e-mail
address with the promise that they would transfer my original one as well.
Well.....despite numerous calls to India and promises nothing has been done
about it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 23:12:14 +0100, "OG"
wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. com...
Modem died on Monday PM, part of the telly/landline/internet package.
Modem 10-12 years old?

Called Virgin Media around 7pm. Guy said he would send a new modem FOC,
it would take 3 days to arrive. It arrived today, took 5 mins to install
following the idiot guide supplied.

Not even charging me for the time I was off line.

I call that excellent after sales service.

Retired church friend had a problem with her VM dsl a couple of weeks back.
She called VM
"Oh, we are planning on changing your modem anyway next month as part of the
upgrade to higher speed broadband, we'll not do anything until then"
So she's without mail and broadband for the best part of a month. I was
disgusted.

Probably because she rang the cable company support instead of the
DSL side and they assumed she was talking about a cable modem and not
a DSL modem. The two never meet and do not talk the same language.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

It could almost sound like you think that's her fault!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
OG wrote:

Retired church friend had a problem with her VM dsl a couple of weeks back.
She called VM

Ah, there is the mistake in my experience. Ringing VM can be a bit of a
lottery...

I have however (as have friends) found that contacting them via their
support usenet newsgroup (admittedly requires your VM line to be working -
or borrow a neighbours ) or via their twitter address to be fantastic.

You get a real person not just some call centre script reading droid and
they all seem to be uk based (in fact, they appear to share an office).

http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/ge...newsgroups_faq

http://twitter.com/Virginmedia

(the latter will often require you to have at least attempting to ring
CS first though )

"Oh, we are planning on changing your modem anyway next month as part of the
upgrade to higher speed broadband, we'll not do anything until then"
So she's without mail and broadband for the best part of a month. I was
disgusted.

Exactly the sort of thing to tweet at VM - poor service from CS tends to
get followed up effectively on there.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"OG" gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Retired church friend had a problem with her VM dsl a couple of weeks
back. She called VM
"Oh, we are planning on changing your modem anyway next month as part of
the upgrade to higher speed broadband, we'll not do anything until then"
So she's without mail and broadband for the best part of a month. I was
disgusted.

Hold on one mo...

If she's on DSL, why doesn't she just go out and buy a bog standard DSL
modem/router? £30 or so for a cheapie, £40 for a good 'un, £50 with
wireless from somebody like BroadbandBuyer. It'd be back up and kicking
by tomorrow - or pay a chunk more, go to PCWoe or their ilk, and be back
this afternoon.

Gawd alone knows why people go to VM for DSL. For cable, yes - they're
the only game in town. For DSL? No. Just... no. Mind you, none of the
pikey end of the domestic DSL suppliers are any better for customer
service. That's how they're so cheap. Pay money, take choice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , OG
scribeth thus

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. com...
Modem died on Monday PM, part of the telly/landline/internet package.
Modem 10-12 years old?

Called Virgin Media around 7pm. Guy said he would send a new modem FOC,
it would take 3 days to arrive. It arrived today, took 5 mins to install
following the idiot guide supplied.

Not even charging me for the time I was off line.

I call that excellent after sales service.

Retired church friend had a problem with her VM dsl a couple of weeks back.
She called VM
"Oh, we are planning on changing your modem anyway next month as part of the
upgrade to higher speed broadband, we'll not do anything until then"
So she's without mail and broadband for the best part of a month. I was
disgusted.

Well she should have asked to be put through to the cancellations dept
that works wonders..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Retired church friend had a problem with her VM dsl a couple of weeks back.
She called VM
"Oh, we are planning on changing your modem anyway next month as part of the
upgrade to higher speed broadband, we'll not do anything until then"
So she's without mail and broadband for the best part of a month. I was
disgusted.

Probably because she rang the cable company support instead of the
DSL side and they assumed she was talking about a cable modem and not
a DSL modem. The two never meet and do not talk the same language.

Yeabut she shouldn't have to have done that or even known they are like
that, all she was concerned with was getting her BB service back!..

And on that note I'm pleased to say that we've only had around Two
outages in the last Three years and one of them was due to "give paddy a
digger and a hole in the road"...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dmc scribeth
thus
In article ,
OG wrote:

Retired church friend had a problem with her VM dsl a couple of weeks back.
She called VM

Ah, there is the mistake in my experience. Ringing VM can be a bit of a
lottery...

I have however (as have friends) found that contacting them via their
support usenet newsgroup (admittedly requires your VM line to be working -
or borrow a neighbours ) or via their twitter address to be fantastic.

You get a real person not just some call centre script reading droid and
they all seem to be uk based (in fact, they appear to share an office).

In fact all utilities would do well to bring their call centres back to
the UK..

Thats one reason its such a pleasure dealing with Zen for the ADSL
service we use elsewhere, they have a UK call centre well if you
consider *Rochdale to be in the UK..

*Well I suppose the peoples republic of Lancashire to be in the UK..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian
scribeth thus
[...]

Ummm M8 ... I know several people who'd pay a LOT of money to be on
cable rather then ADSL supplied over copper ally string out in the
sticks.

Cable requires a cable modem which aren't available in the shops these
devices interface between the co-axial cable and your PC by either an
ethernet connection or a USB one ..

Don't confuse an ADSL and a Cable modem different animals...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

[...]

Yes, dear. I know, dear.

Cable requires a cable modem which aren't available in the shops these
devices interface between the co-axial cable and your PC by either an
ethernet connection or a USB one ..

Yes, dear. I know, dear.

Don't confuse an ADSL and a Cable modem different animals...

I'm not sure that I'm the person who's doing so... You may wish to look
back at the bit in the OP which says "VM dsl". Oh, look. You even quoted
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian
scribeth thus
[...]

Perhaps if your so clever -dearest- you might have pointed that out..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Retired church friend had a problem with her VM dsl a couple of
weeks back.

Don't confuse an ADSL and a Cable modem different animals...

I'm not sure that I'm the person who's doing so... You may wish to look
back at the bit in the OP which says "VM dsl". Oh, look. You even quoted
it.

Perhaps if your so clever -dearest- you might have pointed that out..

I didn't really think I needed to, since it was in the bit I quoted...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I call that excellent after sales service.

Can you fix their before-sales service?

They keep putting leaflets through my letterbox.

My house is not in a VM area.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Champ
scribeth thus
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I call that excellent after sales service.

Can you fix their before-sales service?

They keep putting leaflets through my letterbox.

My house is not in a VM area.

Andy

They can and do supply broadband over BT copper...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

Gawd alone knows why people go to VM for DSL. For cable, yes - they're
the only game in town. For DSL? No. Just... no. Mind you, none of the
pikey end of the domestic DSL suppliers are any better for customer
service. That's how they're so cheap. Pay money, take choice.

Actually if your exchange is LLUd Virgin net are a reseller of *a Cable and
Wireless ADSL2+ product.
speed is good, price is very competitive, but it still suffers from all
that's wrong with Virginmedia*as an ISP.****
\0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I call that excellent after sales service.

Can you fix their before-sales service?

They keep putting leaflets through my letterbox.

My house is not in a VM area.

Share the problem though a user of the service. At least they are more
recyclable than AOL discs were.