Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ethanol

On 11/03/2021 20:17, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:52:30 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 06:17:28 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 02:56, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 01:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:05:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Â* Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 00:32:54 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10
petrol -
coming here later this year - will damage many older cars.
Much
of it
the usual press ********, after all E5 has been around for
quite
some
time, and is known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel
pipes.
Which
don't last forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one
specific
was mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those
made of
Â*
brass).
Any comments?

I can remember when unleaded petrol was being phased in, and
some
cockwombling fire chief scored weeks of publicity saying it
was a
bad
thing as it was more flammable that real petrol.

Which suggests (as always) the 80:20 law still applies, and
80% of
reportage is utter ********.

My feeling too. Or the articles I've read try to simplify things
for
us
peasants and invent 'science' that doesn't exist.

This one's a classic of pseudo-scientific misdirection:
https://www.theautochannel.com/news/...r-out-air.html

(Adverts at about 11:20)

One said the ethanol absorbs moisture from air.

It does; it's hygroscopic. But not noticeably so (see above).
However,
you can't separate them again by simple fractional distillation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azeotrope

And that 'condensation'
will attack lead, zinc, brass, copper and of course steel. As
well
as
rubber and some plastics.

I believe ethanol will dissolve some plastics (e.g., perspex?)

No it doesn't.

The consensus is that it does, but not to a marked effect with
perspex.

First link I came across:

https://www.eplastics.com/blog/chemi...lic-plexiglass

Which says, with
absolute ethanolÂ*Â*Â*Â* G - Little or no damage after 30 days of
constant
exposure to the reagent.
ethanol 40%Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* E - 30 days of constant exposure with no
damage.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Plastic may even tolerate
chemical
for years.

I'm genuinely surprised with your reply, crazing of perspex with
ethanol
is well known

How odd that it didn't get a
N - Not recommended for continuous use. Immediate damage may
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* occur such as severe crazing, cracking, or permeation losses.

and I thought you had a chemical background?

I can read, too.

Do you disagree that where a solvent causes an amorphous polymer to
craze,

Ethanol doesn't with perspex.

I think you'll find that it does.

I know that mine doesn't.

"Yours"? What would you need reagent-grade ethanol for?

Its much less likely to damage what you are cleaning.

Fortifying your watery beer?

Nothing watery about my beer and I distil as well as brew
beer, in a reflux still which produces the best ethanol.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...by_ethanol.jpg

this is because the polymer is principally soluble in it?

Perspex isnt with ethanol.

Maybe we shouldn't get too fixed on the idea of "dissolving". There
can be no question that ethanol has a detrimental effect on perspex.

How odd that mine doesn't.

Well, we all know you're a bit "special", Rod.

Pathetic. The link that Fred waved around also says that it doesn't happen.

If you look up "ethanol" in that link, it does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 01:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:05:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

absolute ethanol G - Little or no damage after 30 days of
constant
exposure to the reagent.
ethanol 40% E - 30 days of constant exposure with no
damage.
[...]

Bull**** it does, I have quoted those two lines in the table, above.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 17:17:03 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

If you look up "ethanol" in that link, it does.

Bull**** it does, I have quoted those two lines in the table, above.

Yeah, teach him what he gets for consistently feeding a trolling senile
asshole like you! BG

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 01:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:05:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Then you're blind:
Ethanol F N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 01:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:05:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman
(News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

There is no N with ethanol ****wit and the F is only at 50C
and for a week. Thats not what is being discussed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 01:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:05:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman
(News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

OK see the problem now I was using the ethyl
alcohol lines, you are using that ethanol line. That
table is useless. No surprise you waved it around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2021 15:08, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 01:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:05:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman
(News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Oh good, you finally twigged :-)

BTW: N - Not recommended for continuous use. Immediate damage may occur
such as severe crazing, cracking, or permeation losses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 15:34:07 +0000, Fredxx, the notorious, troll-feeding,
senile smartass, blathered again:

Oh good, you finally twigged :-)

Maybe. But you didn't yet, troll-feeding senile idiot!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 01:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:05:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman
(News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thats only with temperatures we arent discussing and
why are you so sure that the ethanol line is correct and
not the ethyl alcohol lines ? That table is useless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 01:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:05:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman
(News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You do realise that ethanol and ethyl alcohol are the same thing dont you ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:13 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER TWO HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 03:13:25 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

03:13??? So you KNOW already that you will be up (and trolling) ALL NIGHT
LONG, yet again! And of course also the following morning and day!

But you don't care, TRUE sociopath that you are! BG Right, senile pest?

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2021 21:51, Rod Speed wrote:

Also, less healthy as you have to check it every day to make sure it's
not going off.

Thats very arguable too given that I always drink one 750ml
bottle every day, half before dinner and half with dinner.
There is some evidence that that level is good for your health.

There should have been a smiley at the end of my comment. You may have
more self-control than I have :-)

Actually with pubs closed, like you I typically drink one bottle of beer
most evenings.

Some years ago my wife went to Oz with a friend who had family there.
They went to their local pub one evening, IIRC it was a 120 mile round
trip. Their supermarket was nearer, but still a significant distance,
which does shift the calculations somewhat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2021 16:21, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 01:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:05:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave
Plowman (News)"
wrote:

(News) wrote:

[...]

not the ethyl alcohol lines ?Â* That table is useless.

You do realise that ethanol and ethyl alcohol are the same thing dont
you ?

LOL I am aware. Trust you to check under the old name.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Also, less healthy as you have to check it every day to make sure it's
not going off.

Thats very arguable too given that I always drink one 750ml
bottle every day, half before dinner and half with dinner.
There is some evidence that that level is good for your health.

There should have been a smiley at the end of my comment.

No need, it was obvious what you meant.

You may have more self-control than I have :-)

I do. Mate of mine said that I would drink a lot more once
I made my own, but I dont I drink exactly the same amount
and have done that for more than half a century now.

Actually with pubs closed, like you I typically drink one bottle of beer
most evenings.

Some years ago my wife went to Oz with a friend who had family there. They
went to their local pub one evening, IIRC it was a 120 mile round trip.
Their supermarket was nearer, but still a significant distance, which does
shift the calculations somewhat.

Another mate of mine still travels that far for the beer he drinks at home
and drinks a lot more than I do. It was odd to see him get out of the
passenger seat of ute with his wife driving, she never drives with both
of them in the car. He damned near fell out of the ute that time. Boy
was she ****ed off about him that time }-(

He used to regularly drive further than that for garage sales many weekends
before the virus ****ed the garage sales and did so again today.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 01:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:05:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman
(News)"
wrote:

(News) wrote:

[...]

I didnt do that, it just caught my eye for some reason.

It does mean that table is useless when that fool doesnt realise that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 09:32:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

dennis@home to know-it-all Rodent Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 09:30:48 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bill Wright addressing trolling senile Ozzie cretin Rodent Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 01:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:05:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave
Plowman (News)"
wrote:

(News) wrote:

[...]

I did realise that with your post but couldn't be arsed to find another.

However, google shows there are so many people claiming that ethanol
crazes acrylic I didn't feel the need to find a better link.

I respect, of course, your experience is different to everyone else's.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 01:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:05:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave
Plowman (News)"
wrote:

(News) wrote:

[...]

Translation: You tried but couldnt find even a single reputable
source that substantiated your stupid claim that ethanol dissolves
perspex, because there isnt even a single one that does that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 10:19 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER NINE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 10:19:57 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 01:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:05:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave
Plowman (News)"
wrote:

(News) wrote:

[...]

I thought you were better than this, and someone who said they were a
chemist. You should never clean acrylic wit alcohol. You've obviously
lost all of your knowledge, assuming you had some:

https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/...lic-plexiglass

https://www.instructables.com/Why-Yo...ol-Methyl-Eth/

https://falcon.phy.queensu.ca/SNO/st...STR-90-087.pdf

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._base_polymers

In some cases Ethanol is used intentionally to create microcracks.

You can deny as much as you like, in the same way the sun rises every
morning, alcohol attacks and crazes acrylic. Your personal example of
one is unique and you are mistaken.

I am disappointed in you, you actually know less than I thought.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 01:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:05:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave
Plowman (News)"
wrote:

(News) wrote:

[...]

reams of your mindless bull**** irrelevant to whether ethanol DISSOLVES
perspex as you stupidly claimed flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2021 00:00, Fredxx wrote:
On 12/03/2021 23:19, Rod Speed wrote:

snip

Translation: You tried but couldnt find even a single reputable
source that substantiated your stupid claim that ethanol dissolves
perspex, because there isnt even a single one that does that.

I thought you were better than this, and someone who said they were a
chemist. You should never clean acrylic wit alcohol. You've obviously
lost all of your knowledge, assuming you had some:

Proof that using mind altering chemical substances does not make one a
chemist.