Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ethanol

Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10 petrol - coming
here later this year - will damage many older cars. Much of it the usual
press ********, after all E5 has been around for quite some time, and is
known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel pipes. Which don't last
forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one specific was mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those made of brass).
Any comments?

--
*It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 00:32:54 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10 petrol -
coming here later this year - will damage many older cars. Much of it
the usual press ********, after all E5 has been around for quite some
time, and is known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel pipes. Which
don't last forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one specific
was mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those made of brass).
Any comments?

I used an ethanol added (~10%) petrol in the fifties, sixties and
seventies in my Triumph T100 motorbike and in my Ford RS1600 car. It was
called Cleverland Discol and proved to be an excellent fuel with a
perceived extra zip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10 petrol - coming
here later this year - will damage many older cars. Much of it the usual
press ********, after all E5 has been around for quite some time, and is
known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel pipes. Which don't last
forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one specific was mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those made of brass).
Any comments?

Nope, but if I had a classic car:
https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/e...r-classic-car/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2021 06:18, Richard wrote:
Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10 petrol - coming
here later this year - will damage many older cars. Much of it the usual
press ********, after all E5 has been around for quite some time, and is
known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel pipes. Which don't last
forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one specific was
mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those made of brass).
Any comments?

Nope, but if I had a classic car:

Or petrol lawn mower.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu.../fuel-fit.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jon" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 00:32:54 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10 petrol -
coming here later this year - will damage many older cars. Much of it
the usual press ********, after all E5 has been around for quite some
time, and is known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel pipes. Which
don't last forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one specific
was mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those made of brass).
Any comments?

I used an ethanol added (~10%) petrol in the fifties, sixties and
seventies in my Triumph T100 motorbike and in my Ford RS1600 car. It was
called Cleverland Discol and proved to be an excellent fuel with a
perceived extra zip.

Its actually got reduced zip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Can you explain though why there is a different smell to the exhaust
on Ethanol powered cars. Its like its sweet and almost sugary on the
tip of ones tongue, or is this just me and my peculiar sense organs!

Probably. We have always had E10 here and I have used
it to see if its better value and havent found that it is.

"jon" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 00:32:54 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10 petrol -
coming here later this year - will damage many older cars. Much of it
the usual press ********, after all E5 has been around for quite some
time, and is known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel pipes. Which
don't last forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one specific
was mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those made of brass).
Any comments?

I used an ethanol added (~10%) petrol in the fifties, sixties and
seventies in my Triumph T100 motorbike and in my Ford RS1600 car. It was
called Cleverland Discol and proved to be an excellent fuel with a
perceived extra zip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 19:37:46 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10 petrol - coming
here later this year - will damage many older cars. Much of it the usual
press ********, after all E5 has been around for quite some time, and is
known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel pipes. Which don't last
forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one specific was mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those made of brass).
Any comments?

I'm not a chemist, but as far as I know, Ethanol doesn't attack solder.
However, Acetic Acid (Ethanoic Acid - oxydised Ethanol - vinegar) does
react with Lead and maybe there's some of that present.

The reaction product is Lead Acetate which used to be called 'Sugar of
Lead' because of its sweet taste, and maybe that explains the sweet
smell referred to by Brian Gaff later.

[Lead used to be hung in beer which has gone off to remove the vinegar
and replace it with Sugar of Lead. This is no longer done. Health and
safety gone mad, I say.]

--
Cheers
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m posted
On 04/03/2021 06:18, Richard wrote:
Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10 petrol - coming
here later this year - will damage many older cars. Much of it the usual
press ********, after all E5 has been around for quite some time, and is
known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel pipes. Which don't last
forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one specific was
mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those made of brass).
Any comments?

Nope, but if I had a classic car:

Or petrol lawn mower.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu.../fuel-fit.html

This doesn't answer the question of whether E10 fuel will damage petrol
lawn mowers, though.

--
Algernon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

I always thought the smell of the exhaust of high-performance engines
such as in sports and racing cars at hill climb meetings etc was due
to the use of 'Castrol' somewhere in the fuel mix (whatever Castrol
was)

"Castrol R" based on castor oil.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

"jon" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 00:32:54 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10 petrol -
coming here later this year - will damage many older cars. Much of it
the usual press ********, after all E5 has been around for quite some
time, and is known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel pipes.
Which don't last forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one
specific was mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those made of
brass).
Any comments?

I used an ethanol added (~10%) petrol in the fifties, sixties and
seventies in my Triumph T100 motorbike and in my Ford RS1600 car. It
was called Cleverland Discol and proved to be an excellent fuel with a
perceived extra zip.

Of course most petrol had lead in it up to the nineties.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

I always thought the smell of the exhaust of high-performance engines
such as in sports and racing cars at hill climb meetings etc was due
to the use of 'Castrol' somewhere in the fuel mix (whatever Castrol
was), but I'm probably wrong.

"Castrol R", it was the classic engine oil used in early racing
engines, do a web search and you can read all about it.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

I always thought the smell of the exhaust of high-performance engines
such as in sports and racing cars at hill climb meetings etc was due
to the use of 'Castrol' somewhere in the fuel mix (whatever Castrol
was), but I'm probably wrong.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/july-2000/55/castrol-r

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 09:54:20 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 09:41:01 +0000, Clive Arthur

[...]

The Romans used 'sugar of lead' to sweeten their wines. Said to be the
underlying cause of the fall of the Roman Empire as they all slowly went
mad and lost their powers of reason.

I always thought the smell of the exhaust of high-performance engines
such as in sports and racing cars at hill climb meetings etc was due to
the use of 'Castrol' somewhere in the fuel mix (whatever Castrol was),
but I'm probably wrong.

Lead in the petrol caused the sweetnes, Castrol was a vegetable oil used
in racing and left a very distinctive smell when burnt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Possibly, though unlikely. Bioethanol is made from fermentation of sugar
(from cane). Sucrose is said to be slightly soluble in ethanol (about 1
in 170), so I wonder if any could be carried over in the final stage
distillation process. If it was, and that was burnt, it could account
for a caramel odour. I would very much doubt it, though, and it would
need a very sensitive nose to detect it.

--

Jeff

On 04/03/2021 08:21, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Can you explain though why there is a different smell to the exhaust on
Ethanol powered cars. Its like its sweet and almost sugary on the tip of
ones tongue, or is this just me and my peculiar sense organs!

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 09:58:54 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

I always thought the smell of the exhaust of high-performance engines
such as in sports and racing cars at hill climb meetings etc was due
to the use of 'Castrol' somewhere in the fuel mix (whatever Castrol
was)

"Castrol R" based on castor oil.

Don't think it was the same the and the resultant smell was nice but
weren't you able to apply a shot (or shots) of 'Redex' (an Upper
Cylinder Lubricant) in with your fuel?

I'm pretty sure all those lads running 'racing' bikes / cars of the
day would use it, as did my Dad in his Austin A40 a few times (as he
would let me add it). You just told them how many shots you applied
(if it was self service). ;-)

Those were the days when you could have loads of things out on the
forecourt and they wouldn't generally get stolen ... including the
tyre inflator (that would be on a quick connector).

Watering cans, Redex shot dispenser, buckets with water and a sponge
and squeegee in, small oil display racks etc.

Now it's just firewood, disposable BBQ's and bags of charcoal, flowers
and bottled water?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was under the impression that all cars running on unleaded were burning
10% ethanol. Or are you talking about the difference between diesel and
petrol? I doubt there are any ethanol fuelled cars outside of a race track
or drag strip.

Tim

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Can you explain though why there is a different smell to the exhaust on
Ethanol powered cars. Its like its sweet and almost sugary on the tip of
ones tongue, or is this just me and my peculiar sense organs!

Brian

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 00:32:54 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10 petrol - coming
here later this year - will damage many older cars. Much of it the usual
press ********, after all E5 has been around for quite some time, and is
known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel pipes. Which don't last
forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one specific was mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those made of brass).
Any comments?

There is an E10 compatibility checker:
https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol

Says E10 petrol is cleared for use in all models with petrol engines
from 1st January 2000 (Nissan).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Mar 2021 11:29:21 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

I was under the impression that all cars running on unleaded were burning
10% ethanol. Or are you talking about the difference between diesel and
petrol? I doubt there are any ethanol fuelled cars outside of a race track
or drag strip.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e10-petrol-explained

E10 means petrol contains up to 10% renewable ethanol. To date, petrol
in the UK has contained up to 5% renewable ethanol (known as E5).

E10 petrol is already widely used around the world, including across
Europe, the US and Australia. It has also been the reference fuel
against which new cars are tested for emissions and performance since
2016.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2021 06:18, Richard wrote:
Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10 petrol - coming
here later this year - will damage many older cars. Much of it the usual
press ********, after all E5 has been around for quite some time, and is
known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel pipes. Which don't last
forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one specific was
mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those made of brass).
Any comments?

Nope, but if I had a classic car:
https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/e...r-classic-car/

Only applies to 95 octane petrol. The super grade will remain
at 5%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10 petrol - coming
here later this year - will damage many older cars. Much of it the usual
press ********, after all E5 has been around for quite some time, and is
known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel pipes. Which don't last
forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one specific was mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those made of brass).
Any comments?

There is an E10 compatibility checker:
https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol

Says E10 petrol is cleared for use in all models with petrol engines
from 1st January 2000 (Nissan).

Some versions of the Avensis between 2004 and 2008?
cannot use it though, but they can still use the super grade
of petrol.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

I always thought the smell of the exhaust of high-performance engines
such as in sports and racing cars at hill climb meetings etc was due
to the use of 'Castrol' somewhere in the fuel mix (whatever Castrol
was)

"Castrol R" based on castor oil.

which explains the name.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10 petrol - coming
here later this year - will damage many older cars. Much of it the usual
press ********, after all E5 has been around for quite some time, and is
known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel pipes. Which don't last
forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one specific was mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those made of brass).
Any comments?

You're probably already using E5 petrol, E10 is just more of the same.

The biggest concern is that ethanol is hygroscopic, it absorbs water,
and you don't want a watery fuel stagnating in your fuel tank.
Especially if you only use your car once in a while.

You can get ethanol corrosion inhibitor to slow/stop these effects.

I'm surprised the equivalent of diesel bug isn't an issue?

As long as the fuel is dry or has corrosion inhibitor then it shouldn't
attack either lead (in old solder) or zinc (in brass).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 00:32:54 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10 petrol -
coming here later this year - will damage many older cars. Much of it
the usual press ********, after all E5 has been around for quite some
time, and is known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel pipes. Which
don't last forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one specific
was mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those made of brass).
Any comments?

I can remember when unleaded petrol was being phased in, and some
cockwombling fire chief scored weeks of publicity saying it was a bad
thing as it was more flammable that real petrol.

Which suggests (as always) the 80:20 law still applies, and 80% of
reportage is utter ********.

My feeling too. Or the articles I've read try to simplify things for us
peasants and invent 'science' that doesn't exist.

One said the ethanol absorbs moisture from air. And that 'condensation'
will attack lead, zinc, brass, copper and of course steel. As well as
rubber and some plastics.

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Can you explain though why there is a different smell to the exhaust on
Ethanol powered cars. Its like its sweet and almost sugary on the tip of
ones tongue, or is this just me and my peculiar sense organs!

Brian

Current 95 octane is E5 - 5% alcohol. The proposed new E10, so 10%. Some
countries have E85. And if a poorer country, likely a larger proportion of
old cars?

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10 petrol - coming
here later this year - will damage many older cars. Much of it the usual
press ********, after all E5 has been around for quite some time, and is
known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel pipes. Which don't last
forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one specific was mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those made of brass).
Any comments?

There is an E10 compatibility checker:
https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol

Says E10 petrol is cleared for use in all models with petrol engines
from 1st January 2000 (Nissan).

BL said none of their vehicles pre 1992 (or whatever) could be run on
unleaded without modification or the use of an additive. Which was
nonsense. But did apply to some of their old engine designs, like the
Mini. So I'd not take what a maker says as gospel. They have no legal
responsibility for 20 year old cars, but a vested interest in selling new
ones.

--
*A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:12:27 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Wasn't it the case that the ones with the Honda engines were okay?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Current 95 octane is E5 - 5% alcohol.

That's up to 5%, though apparently it is 0% from Esso in a handful of
areas (Devon, Cornwall, Teesside, Scotland, NW England).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The Romans used 'sugar of lead' to sweeten their wines. Said to be the
underlying cause of the fall of the Roman Empire as they all slowly
went mad and lost their powers of reason.

I don't know about the Romans but it's currently thought to be the cause
of Beethoven's deafness, irascibility and early demise.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Can you explain though why there is a different smell to the exhaust on
Ethanol powered cars. Its like its sweet and almost sugary on the tip of
ones tongue, or is this just me and my peculiar sense organs!

Brian

Current 95 octane is E5 - 5% alcohol.

My mistake. Quite right.

The proposed new E10, so 10%. Some
countries have E85. And if a poorer country, likely a larger proportion of
old cars?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:12:27 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

All their models with alluminimum cylinder heads - so valve seat inserts -
were OK. Including all those with the Rover V8. And others too. It was
only those with cast iron heads which suffered.

--
*A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote

Possibly, though unlikely. Bioethanol is made from fermentation of sugar
(from cane). Sucrose is said to be slightly soluble in ethanol (about 1 in
170), so I wonder if any could be carried over in the final stage
distillation process.

Nope, not with a proper reflux still and thats what all industrial
processes use.

If it was, and that was burnt, it could account for a caramel odour. I
would very much doubt it, though, and it would need a very sensitive nose
to detect it.

He gets that from the dog genes that are
the result of his more unspeakable ancestors
doing unspeakable things with dogs.

Beats the NZers tho, they just get funny voices and weird hair.

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Can you explain though why there is a different smell to the exhaust on
Ethanol powered cars. Its like its sweet and almost sugary on the tip of
ones tongue, or is this just me and my peculiar sense organs!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote

I was under the impression that all cars running
on unleaded were burning 10% ethanol.

Nope. We have a choice of two grades of unleaded here
and E10 as well. The E10 is the only one that contains
ethanol and is a bit cheaper but doesnt give as good a mpg.

Or are you talking about the difference between diesel and petrol?

Nope.

I doubt there are any ethanol fuelled
cars outside of a race track or drag strip.

There are actually in some countrys like Brazil.

Engines designed to run fine on pure ethanol or unleaded petrol.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Can you explain though why there is a different smell to the exhaust on
Ethanol powered cars. Its like its sweet and almost sugary on the tip of
ones tongue, or is this just me and my peculiar sense organs!

Brian

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
[...]

No bugs like an ethanol water mix.

As long as the fuel is dry or has corrosion inhibitor then it shouldn't
attack either lead (in old solder) or zinc (in brass).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

It does and its quite hard to get absolute ethanol
with no water in it at all. Distillation doesn’t do it.

And that 'condensation' will attack lead, zinc,
brass, copper and of course steel. As well as
rubber and some plastics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 05:49:07 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

JimK addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"I really feel the quality of your trolling has dropped in the last few
months..."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 06:11:12 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2021 09:57, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 00:32:54 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Been quite a few scare stories in the press about how E10 petrol -
coming here later this year - will damage many older cars. Much of it
the usual press ********, after all E5 has been around for quite some
time, and is known to attack older 'rubber' flexible fuel pipes. Which
don't last forever anyway. Much of it generalization, but one specific
was mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter floats (those made of brass).
Any comments?

I can remember when unleaded petrol was being phased in, and some
cockwombling fire chief scored weeks of publicity saying it was a bad
thing as it was more flammable that real petrol.

Which suggests (as always) the 80:20 law still applies, and 80% of
reportage is utter ********.

Now if he said it was more carcinogenic he would have been right, from
the increased levels of benzene and other aromatic compounds.