Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default Ethanol

On 12/03/2021 23:19, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 12/03/2021 22:32, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 12/03/2021 16:21, Rod Speed wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 12/03/2021 15:08, Rod Speed wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 12/03/2021 06:17, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 11/03/2021 20:17, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:52:30 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 06:17:28 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 02:56, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 01:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Custos Custodum" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:05:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave
Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Â* Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 00:32:54 +0000, Dave Plowman
(News) wrote:

Been quite a few scare stories in the press
about how
E10
petrol -
coming here later this year - will damage many
older
cars. Much
of it
the usual press ********, after all E5 has been
around
for quite
some
time, and is known to attack older 'rubber'
flexible
fuel pipes.
Which
don't last forever anyway. Much of it
generalization,
but one
specific
was mentioned.
It attacks the solder used on carburetter
floats
(those
made of
Â*
brass).
Any comments?

I can remember when unleaded petrol was being
phased in, and some
cockwombling fire chief scored weeks of
publicity saying it was a
bad
thing as it was more flammable that real petrol.

Which suggests (as always) the 80:20 law still
applies, and 80% of
reportage is utter ********.

My feeling too. Or the articles I've read try to
simplify things
for
us
peasants and invent 'science' that doesn't exist.

This one's a classic of pseudo-scientific
misdirection:
https://www.theautochannel.com/news/...r-out-air.html

(Adverts at about 11:20)

One said the ethanol absorbs moisture from air.

It does; it's hygroscopic. But not noticeably so
(see above).
However,
you can't separate them again by simple fractional
distillation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azeotrope

And that 'condensation'
will attack lead, zinc, brass, copper and of
course steel. As well
as
rubber and some plastics.

I believe ethanol will dissolve some plastics
(e.g., perspex?)

No it doesn't.

The consensus is that it does, but not to a marked
effect with
perspex.

First link I came across:

https://www.eplastics.com/blog/chemi...lic-plexiglass

Which says, with
absolute ethanolÂ*Â*Â*Â* G - Little or no damage after 30
days of constant
exposure to the reagent.
ethanol 40%Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* E - 30 days of constant
exposure with no damage.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Plastic may even
tolerate chemical
for years.

I'm genuinely surprised with your reply, crazing of
perspex with
ethanol
is well known

How odd that it didn't get a
N - Not recommended for continuous use. Immediate
damage may
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* occur such as severe crazing, cracking, or
permeation losses.

and I thought you had a chemical background?

I can read, too.

Do you disagree that where a solvent causes an
amorphous polymer to
craze,

Ethanol doesn't with perspex.

I think you'll find that it does.

I know that mine doesn't.

"Yours"? What would you need reagent-grade ethanol for?

Its much less likely to damage what you are cleaning.

Fortifying your watery beer?

Nothing watery about my beer and I distil as well as brew
beer, in a reflux still which produces the best ethanol.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...by_ethanol.jpg

this is because the polymer is principally soluble in it?

Perspex isnt with ethanol.

Maybe we shouldn't get too fixed on the idea of
"dissolving". There
can be no question that ethanol has a detrimental effect
on perspex.

How odd that mine doesn't.

Well, we all know you're a bit "special", Rod.

Pathetic. The link that Fred waved around also says that it
doesn't happen.

If you look up "ethanol" in that link, it does.

Bull**** it does, I have quoted those two lines in the table,
above.

Then you're blind:
Ethanol F N

There is no N with ethanol ****wit and the F is only at 50C
and for a week. Thats not what is being discussed.

OK see the problem now I was using the ethyl
alcohol lines, you are using that ethanol line. That
table is useless. No surprise you waved it around.

Oh good, you finally twigged :-)

BTW: N - Not recommended for continuous use. Immediate damage may
occur such as severe crazing, cracking, or permeation losses.

Thats only with temperatures we arent discussing and
why are you so sure that the ethanol line is correct and
not the ethyl alcohol lines ?Â* That table is useless.

You do realise that ethanol and ethyl alcohol are the same thing
dont you ?

LOL I am aware. Trust you to check under the old name.

I didnt do that, it just caught my eye for some reason.

It does mean that table is useless when that fool doesnt realise that.

I did realise that with your post but couldn't be arsed to find another.

Translation: You tried but couldnt find even a single reputable
source that substantiated your stupid claim that ethanol dissolves
perspex, because there isnt even a single one that does that.

I thought you were better than this, and someone who said they were a
chemist. You should never clean acrylic wit alcohol. You've obviously
lost all of your knowledge, assuming you had some:

https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/...lic-plexiglass

https://www.instructables.com/Why-Yo...ol-Methyl-Eth/

https://falcon.phy.queensu.ca/SNO/st...STR-90-087.pdf

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._base_polymers

In some cases Ethanol is used intentionally to create microcracks.

You can deny as much as you like, in the same way the sun rises every
morning, alcohol attacks and crazes acrylic. Your personal example of
one is unique and you are mistaken.

I am disappointed in you, you actually know less than I thought.