Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car dash cameras

On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 10:30:43 AM UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 02:20:58 -0800, fred wrote:

I have the Nextbase 322GW, with the rear view camera, fixed behind the
rear view mirror. The files are quite large and take a bit of time to
down load to the phone and even then to see the rear view footage the
file has to be downloaded to a desktop machine. I have found no way to
transmit the footage on the phone to a PC other than by removing the
card from the camera and putting it into a card reader.

I have a 522GW and it uploads to the Windows application from NexBase.
Via the USB connector.

It is possible to upload the video via the Nextbase website the uploaded video doesn't include rear camera footage.
Connect the phone to the PC doesn't work for me either. The only success I had was by extracting the card from the camera and inserting it into a card reader/ Then I get the full list of all video's.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NY wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Mount it where the tax disc used to go. ;-)

Same problem: outside the area that the wipers clear, with the added problem
that the bonnet/wing partly obscures the field of view.

Mine clips on the interior mirror. It is often easier to fish cables
behind the trims from there than on a dash. And I simply refuse to use
anything plugged into a fag lighter socket. ;-)

--
*Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , nightjar
writes
On 25/01/2021 08:01, tim... wrote:
"nightjar" wrote in message
om...
On 24/01/2021 07:49, Peter James wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a dash camera for the car, as I* nearly had
someone
drive into me in the Co-op
car park yesterday.
Any recommendations from the NG?
Peter

I am very happy with this one, which also has a waterproof rear view
camera and GPS input:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/%E3%80%90Up...91APEMAN-Recor
ding-Detection-Monitoring-C-550/dp/B07GPWV9RV

Though I'm at a loss to work out, how a blob stuck to the windscreen
is "completely hidden from view" (second picture)

Perhaps hidden from the driver's field of view would be more accurate.
Mine is also behind the interior mirror and is not visible during
normal driving.

Perhaps so that over zealous plod can't pull; you u for obstructing the
view out the windscreen.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert wrote:
Perhaps so that over zealous plod can't pull; you u for obstructing the
view out the windscreen.

Good to know you think it is OK to drive with your vision obscured. ;-)

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 05:35:52 -0800, fred wrote:

It is possible to upload the video via the Nextbase website the
uploaded video doesn't include rear camera footage.
Connect the phone to the PC doesn't work for me either. The only success
I had was by extracting the card from the camera and inserting it into a
card reader/ Then I get the full list of all video's.

I just connected the camera to the PC via USB. It appeared as a drive and
I copied the files.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 14:21:01 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
bert wrote:
Perhaps so that over zealous plod can't pull; you u for obstructing the
view out the windscreen.

Good to know you think it is OK to drive with your vision obscured. ;-)

Given how questionable / blinkered Burks view of many things are I'm
not sure it would make much difference. ;-)

One thing I will bring in when I'm PM (as a general strengthening of
the general 'obscuring your vision' legislation) is that anyone with
anything dangling from the interior mirror can be dragged to the
gutter and shot and their body hung from an overhead gantry as a form
of ironic warning to others (or maybe not as it could be distracting).
;-)

WTF would you want your car smelling of pine and a cardboard tree
swinging about in your car, especially in your field of view?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2021 07:49, Peter James wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a dash camera for the car, as I nearly had someone
drive into me in the Co-op
car park yesterday.
Any recommendations from the NG?
Peter

The free dascam app on my iPhone works well.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2021 10:44, Tim Streater wrote:

I have the Nextbase 322GW,

When connected to your desktop, does it just appear as an external drive? In
which case one could just copy the files. What does the Windows app do?

Mine does. There's an HD file and an SD file for each period of time.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert wrote:
Perhaps so that over zealous plod can't pull; you u for obstructing the
view out the windscreen.

Good to know you think it is OK to drive with your vision obscured. ;-)

The driver's vision is always a compromise. One thing will always
obscure another.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2021 03:14, Rod Speed wrote:

Thats very arguable if its your fault.

No because you have the option of removing it.

Not that easy with some of them and the
mount is still there with the others and
you may well be seen removing it anyway,

They're all easy to remove. The presence of the mount doesn't prove that
there was a dashcam in place. You might well not be seen removing it, if
you have any sense at all.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2021 07:35, alan_m wrote:
On 25/01/2021 03:14, Rod Speed wrote:

Not that easy with some of them and the
mount is still there with the others and
you may well be seen removing it anyway,

Sometimes the hassle is disconnecting the power

Nextbase power disconnects by itself when you pull the unit back slightly.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" wrote in message

https://www.amazon.co.uk/%E3%80%90Up.../dp/B07GPWV9RV

Though I'm at a loss to work out, how a blob stuck to the windscreen is
"completely hidden from view" (second picture)

Perhaps hidden from the driver's field of view would be more accurate.
Mine is also behind the interior mirror and is not visible during normal
driving.

so how is it usable as a reversing camera then?

The sales blurb seems to imply that use (though doesn't say it explicitly)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
On 25 Jan 2021 at 10:30:38 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 02:20:58 -0800, fred wrote:

I have the Nextbase 322GW, with the rear view camera, fixed behind the
rear view mirror. The files are quite large and take a bit of time to
down load to the phone and even then to see the rear view footage the
file has to be downloaded to a desktop machine. I have found no way to
transmit the footage on the phone to a PC other than by removing the
card from the camera and putting it into a card reader.

I have a 522GW and it uploads to the Windows application from NexBase.
Via the USB connector.

When connected to your desktop, does it just appear as an external drive?
In
which case one could just copy the files. What does the Windows app do?

I always found it easier to take the card out and read it into my PC with a
card reader

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2021 16:59, tim... wrote:

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 25/01/2021 08:01, tim... wrote:

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 24/01/2021 07:49, Peter James wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a dash camera for the car, as IÂ* nearly had
someone
drive into me in the Co-op
car park yesterday.
Any recommendations from the NG?
Peter

I am very happy with this one, which also has a waterproof rear view
camera and GPS input:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/%E3%80%90Up.../dp/B07GPWV9RV

Though I'm at a loss to work out, how a blob stuck to the windscreen
is "completely hidden from view" (second picture)

Perhaps hidden from the driver's field of view would be more accurate.
Mine is also behind the interior mirror and is not visible during
normal driving.

so how is it usable as a reversing camera then?

It isn't. The separate rear view camera is there to record what is
happening behind you while driving. That would have been useful when a
chap drove into the back of me while I was stopped in traffic, except
that he admitted full responsibility, so I didn't need to provide any
evidence.
The sales blurb seems to imply that use (though doesn't say it explicitly)

The parking option mentioned means the camera will turn on and record if
it detects a disturbance while parked - somebody trying to break in or
the car getting a knock from another car.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2021 16:53, williamwright wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* bert wrote:
Perhaps so that over zealous plod can't pull; you u for obstructing the
view out the windscreen.

Good to know you think it is OK to drive with your vision obscured. ;-)

The driver's vision is always a compromise. One thing will always
obscure another.

Bill

The A pillars on my Astra H are pretty good at obscuring what
is going on under certain circumstances.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Radio Man" wrote in message
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 07:49:27 +0000, Peter James wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a dash camera for the car, as I nearly had
someone drive into me in the Co-op car park yesterday.
Any recommendations from the NG?
Peter

Get one that catches the rear view too. Invaluable if you like sending
clips of morons on their phones to your local constabulary.

Do the police do anything other than stop people walking while drinking
coffee these days?

They do usually do something about fresh and rotting corpses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 25/01/2021 08:01, tim... wrote:

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 24/01/2021 07:49, Peter James wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a dash camera for the car, as I nearly had
someone
drive into me in the Co-op
car park yesterday.
Any recommendations from the NG?
Peter

I am very happy with this one, which also has a waterproof rear view
camera and GPS input:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/%E3%80%90Up.../dp/B07GPWV9RV

Though I'm at a loss to work out, how a blob stuck to the windscreen is
"completely hidden from view" (second picture)

Perhaps hidden from the driver's field of view would be more accurate.
Mine is also behind the interior mirror and is not visible during normal
driving.

But that means that it looks thru the uncleaned
part of the windscreen with most cars.

Makes a hell of a lot more sense for them to
be designed into the car than added on later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2021 09:28, alan_m wrote:
On 25/01/2021 09:08, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 25/01/2021 07:35, alan_m wrote:
On 25/01/2021 03:14, Rod Speed wrote:

Not that easy with some of them and the
mount is still there with the others and
you may well be seen removing it anyway,

Sometimes the hassle is disconnecting the power whist still trying to
keep the power lead neat and hidden inside the roof lining etc.

After a while the new toy is less of a novelty and more of an annoyance
if being removed every time you get out of the car. I guess that most
people with a after market dash cam leave it there 24/365.

Except for an MOT. If it's anywhere in your field of view, it's a fail.

The first time my car had an MOT the garage phoned to say it would fail
if they didn't remove the dashcam, so I told them to take it off. The
daftest thing about this is that it is completely hidden by the sun
visor! So if that's down it blocks far more than the dashcam does. Add
to that the car's central camera/sensor console, which blocks even more
from your field of view through the windscreen, and it all makes even
less sense.

There is a specified area of the windscreen that must be kept clear
irrespective of an MOT. It is the same regulation that should stop you
having the fluffy dice or the air freshener swinging from your rear view
mirror on a piece of string.

Sun visors are allowed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...en-obscuration

That legislation was written before dashcams became popular. It mentions
"In practice, the annual test will check that items placed in or stuck
to the windscreen... do not seriously obscure the vision of the driver."
It make little sense to allow sun visors yet outlaw anything placed
behind them.

It further mentions windscreen Zones A and B. As far as I can see, the
camera/sensor console on my car encroaches on, and therefore contravenes
the requirements, of Zone B; "Windscreen stickers, or other
obstructions, shall not encroach more than 40mm." It might actually
encroach into Zone A; I'll have a look tomorrow.

My car has had a couple of MOTs with the dash cam mounted behind the
rear view mirror. It cannot be seen in the driving position.

The camera/sensor console is directly behind my rearview mirror!

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 04:43:57 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

--
about senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2021 18:07, Jeff Layman wrote:

That legislation was written before dashcams became popular. It mentions
"In practice, the annual test will check that items placed in or stuck
to the windscreen... do not seriously obscure the vision of the driver."
It make little sense to allow sun visors yet outlaw anything placed
behind them.

But 99.9% of the time a sun visor is hinged out of the way but it does
obstruct part of the view when being used - but you can probably see the
road ahead better when the visor blocks the sun when low in the sky
ahead of you.

A sun visor on the drivers side that cant be stowed in the €˜off
screen position can also be a MOT failure.

It further mentions windscreen Zones A and B. As far as I can see, the
camera/sensor console on my car encroaches on, and therefore contravenes
the requirements, of Zone B; "Windscreen stickers, or other
obstructions, shall not encroach more than 40mm." It might actually
encroach into Zone A; I'll have a look tomorrow.

Then perhaps you car should fail the MOT on that point alone? Or maybe
it conforms to one of the alternative EU directives when your car was built.

The MOT failures mainly relate to windscreen damage and anything you may
have stuck to the windscreen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2021 17:43, Rod Speed wrote:

"nightjar" wrote in message

Perhaps hidden from the driver's field of view would be more accurate.
Mine is also behind the interior mirror and is not visible during
normal driving.

But that means that it looks thru the uncleaned
part of the windscreen with most cars...

Not on any car I have ever owned.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 16:56:35 +0000, williamwright wrote:

On 25/01/2021 07:35, alan_m wrote:
On 25/01/2021 03:14, Rod Speed wrote:

Not that easy with some of them and the mount is still there with the
others and you may well be seen removing it anyway,

Sometimes the hassle is disconnecting the power

Nextbase power disconnects by itself when you pull the unit back
slightly.

Bill

The rear camera plugs directly into the main unit rather than the mount,
rather annoyingly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Thats very arguable if its your fault.

No because you have the option of removing it.

Not that easy with some of them and the
mount is still there with the others and
you may well be seen removing it anyway,

They're all easy to remove.

Not without being seen doing that they arent.

The presence of the mount doesn't prove that there was a dashcam in place.

Doesnt require proof if they see you
removing the dashcam and are about
to grab it and prove they werent at fault.

You might well not be seen removing it, if you have any sense at all.

And then there is when your wife
or daughter is driving alone etc...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" wrote in message

Perhaps hidden from the driver's field of view would be more accurate.
Mine is also behind the interior mirror and is not visible during normal
driving.

But that means that it looks thru the uncleaned
part of the windscreen with most cars...

Not on any car I have ever owned.

Then you need to own more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 00:35, Rod Speed wrote:
williamwright wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Thats very arguable if its your fault.

No because you have the option of removing it.

Not that easy with some of them and the
mount is still there with the others and
you may well be seen removing it anyway,

They're all easy to remove.

Not without being seen doing that they arent.

You have to pick your moment.

The presence of the mount doesn't prove that there was a dashcam in
place.

Doesnt require proof if they see you
removing the dashcam and are about
to grab it and prove they werent at fault.

You've changed your ground.

You might well not be seen removing it, if you have any sense at all.

And then there is when your wife
or daughter is driving alone etc...

My daughters are more clued up than most men.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote
Rod Speed wrote
williamwright wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Thats very arguable if its your fault.

No because you have the option of removing it.

Not that easy with some of them and the
mount is still there with the others and
you may well be seen removing it anyway,

They're all easy to remove.

Not without being seen doing that they arent.

You have to pick your moment.

Not even possible with plenty of accidents when the
others have seen it there initially and its not there later.

The presence of the mount doesn't prove that there was a dashcam in
place.

Doesnt require proof if they see you
removing the dashcam and are about
to grab it and prove they werent at fault.

You've changed your ground.

Nope.

You might well not be seen removing it, if you have any sense at all.

And then there is when your wife
or daughter is driving alone etc...

My daughters are more clued up than most men.

Plenty arent, including one who ran into me.

She was in tears.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 12:05:30 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 19:26:58 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
In article ,
bert wrote:
Perhaps so that over zealous plod can't pull; you u for obstructing the
view out the windscreen.

Good to know you think it is OK to drive with your vision obscured. ;-)

The driver's vision is always a compromise. One thing will always
obscure another.

As it happens I watched an old 'Vera' last night. Interior shots of her
LandRover showed her mobile phone in a windscreen holder near enough in
front of the driver. But it would be unlikely she'd get a pull from the
plod, unless they had a death wish.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*