Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mobile phone

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:11:32 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Its all completely automatic on an iphone. If your phone dies like

his
did, just replace it, enter your apple ID on the replacement
and carry on regardless.

Same with android phones ...

Only if you've let Apple/Google have your data (I don't) or run your
own cloud/sync server (I do). Or use something like "My Phone
Explorer".

I'm *really* not sure I want to give Apple or Google my phone book, etc.

--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:11:32 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Its all completely automatic on an iphone. If your phone dies like

his
did, just replace it, enter your apple ID on the replacement
and carry on regardless.

Same with android phones ...

Only if you've let Apple/Google have your data (I don't) or run your
own cloud/sync server (I do). Or use something like "My Phone
Explorer".

I'm *really* not sure I want to give Apple or Google my phone book, etc.

I tend to agree, but by simply using their OS how do you know you're not
doing that anyway, whether you have an Apple or Google account or not?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:11:32 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Its all completely automatic on an iphone. If your phone dies like

his
did, just replace it, enter your apple ID on the replacement
and carry on regardless.

Same with android phones ...

Only if you've let Apple/Google have your data (I don't) or run your
own cloud/sync server (I do). Or use something like "My Phone
Explorer".

I'm *really* not sure I want to give
Apple or Google my phone book, etc.

Its completely safe with Apple, they can't even
give it to the FBI if the FBI demands it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 05:05:00 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

Its completely safe with Apple, they can't even
give it to the FBI if the FBI demands it.

Idiot!

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

I'm *really* not sure I want to give Apple or Google my phone book, etc.

You don't have to of course, but you won't get the benefits of syncing
with google or apple unless you do, or go to the effort of providing
your own syncing service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 22:41:57 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:11:32 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Its all completely automatic on an iphone. If your phone dies like

his
did, just replace it, enter your apple ID on the replacement
and carry on regardless.

Same with android phones ...

Only if you've let Apple/Google have your data (I don't) or run your
own cloud/sync server (I do). Or use something like "My Phone
Explorer".

I try to avoid cloud - how do you do your sync?

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Dec 2020 at 14:00:06 GMT, ""Dave Plowman" News)"
wrote:

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:11:32 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Its all completely automatic on an iphone. If your phone dies like

his
did, just replace it, enter your apple ID on the replacement
and carry on regardless.

Same with android phones ...

Only if you've let Apple/Google have your data (I don't) or run your
own cloud/sync server (I do). Or use something like "My Phone
Explorer".

I'm *really* not sure I want to give Apple or Google my phone book, etc.

I don't know about Apple, but I think Google have got your contacts via
Android whether you use their storage or not.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

I think Google have got your contacts via
Android whether you use their storage or not.

No, you can choose to untick "sync" for contacts under the google
account, then they stay in a local database on the phone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Fred wrote:

Its all completely automatic on an iphone. If your phone dies
like his did, just replace it, enter your apple ID on the
replacement and carry on regardless.

Same with android phones ...

Only if you've let Apple/Google have your data (I don't)

I can't remember the process fully, and I'm not going to wipe my phone
just to find out, but when I upgraded from Nexus5X to Pixel3 there was
an option to transfer apps/data between them using a USB-C to USB-C
cable, possibly initiated by tapping them back-to-back for NFC.

I don't know if this works on Samsung/Huwaei/OnePlus/etc phones, or just
Google's own devices.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

* Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:11:32 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Its all completely automatic on an iphone. If your phone dies like
his
did, just replace it, enter your apple ID on the replacement
and carry on regardless.

Same with android phones ...

Only if you've let Apple/Google have your data (I don't) or run your
own cloud/sync server (I do). Or use something like "My Phone
Explorer".

I'm *really* not sure I want to give
Apple or Google my phone book, etc.

Its completely safe with Apple, they can't even
give it to the FBI if the FBI demands it.

And you have Apple's word that it's all safe with them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â* Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:11:32 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Its all completely automatic on an iphone. If your phone dies like
his
did, just replace it, enter your apple ID on the replacement
and carry on regardless.

Same with android phones ...

Only if you've let Apple/Google have your data (I don't) or run your
own cloud/sync server (I do). Or use something like "My Phone
Explorer".

I'm *really* not sure I want to give
Apple or Google my phone book, etc.

Its completely safe with Apple, they can't even
give it to the FBI if the FBI demands it.

And you have Apple's word that it's all safe with them?

I believe Apple feel they have an obligation to keep an *American citizen's*
information from the FBI. I doubt they feel any such obligation to a
non-American citizen. And note that, like our law, the American security law
makes it illegal for a person/organisation to tell the customer when they have
voluntarily or compulsorily revealed their information, for instance to the
security services who they may feel are more deserving than the FBI.

I think if I had secrets I would rather use Huawei, on the grounds that the
Chinese government are unlikely to give my information to MI5. Though I
wouldn't rely on that.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Dec 2020 at 11:25:41 GMT, "Andy Burns" wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:

I think Google have got your contacts via
Android whether you use their storage or not.

No, you can choose to untick "sync" for contacts under the google
account, then they stay in a local database on the phone.

And in Google's databases, as you have given permission for them to use your
information for sundry commercial purposes.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â* Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Also, how does a user know that Apple are not using their data to
Apple's advantage?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Fred wrote:

Its all completely automatic on an iphone. If your phone dies
like his did, just replace it, enter your apple ID on the
replacement and carry on regardless.
Same with android phones ...

Only if you've let Apple/Google have your data (I don't)

I can't remember the process fully, and I'm not going to wipe my phone
just to find out, but when I upgraded from Nexus5X to Pixel3 there was
an option to transfer apps/data between them using a USB-C to USB-C
cable, possibly initiated by tapping them back-to-back for NFC.

I don't know if this works on Samsung/Huwaei/OnePlus/etc phones, or just
Google's own devices.

It really is worth getting My Phone Explorer. That gives you access to
pretty well everything on your phone and allows you to back it up on your
PC. And would give you the choice of what to transfer to another.

--
*I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:11:32 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Its all completely automatic on an iphone. If your phone dies like
his
did, just replace it, enter your apple ID on the replacement
and carry on regardless.

Same with android phones ...

Only if you've let Apple/Google have your data (I don't) or run your
own cloud/sync server (I do). Or use something like "My Phone
Explorer".

I'm *really* not sure I want to give
Apple or Google my phone book, etc.

Its completely safe with Apple, they can't even
give it to the FBI if the FBI demands it.

And you have Apple's word that it's all safe with them?

Nope, we know it is because they couldn’t even give
it to the FBI when the FBI tried to **** them over
using the US legal system and make them do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2020 17:22, Fred wrote:

Â* Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:11:32 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Its all completely automatic on an iphone. If your phone dies like
his
did, just replace it, enter your apple ID on the replacement
and carry on regardless.

Same with android phones ...

Only if you've let Apple/Google have your data (I don't) or run your
own cloud/sync server (I do). Or use something like "My Phone
Explorer".

I'm *really* not sure I want to give
Apple or Google my phone book, etc.

Its completely safe with Apple, they can't even
give it to the FBI if the FBI demands it.

And you have Apple's word that it's all safe with them?

Nope, we know it is because they couldnt even give
it to the FBI when the FBI tried to **** them over
using the US legal system and make them do that.

no proof it wasn't given to google or stolen by the chinese though

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

But we do know that the FBI had to try to **** over Apple in the
court system to get that data, and failed. They wouldnt have done
that if Apple had given them the data and said nothing about that.

I think if I had secrets I would rather use Huawei, on the grounds that
the
Chinese government are unlikely to give my information to MI5. Though I
wouldn't rely on that.

Apple can't give the data to MI5 even if they want to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

We know that none of the data is used
by anyone, we never get any ads etc.

Apple even encrypts the navigation data so even
Apple doesnt know where you have been.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2020 17:22, Fred wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:11:32 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Its all completely automatic on an iphone. If your phone dies like
his
did, just replace it, enter your apple ID on the replacement
and carry on regardless.

Same with android phones ...

Only if you've let Apple/Google have your data (I don't) or run your
own cloud/sync server (I do). Or use something like "My Phone
Explorer".

I'm *really* not sure I want to give
Apple or Google my phone book, etc.

Its completely safe with Apple, they can't even
give it to the FBI if the FBI demands it.

And you have Apple's word that it's all safe with them?

Nope, we know it is because they couldnt even give
it to the FBI when the FBI tried to **** them over
using the US legal system and make them do that.

no proof it wasn't given to google

Yes, there is, the FBI would have gotten it from
google instead of looking very stupid when
they couldnt make apple give them it.

or stolen by the chinese though

Trivial to prove that with some bait entries that never escape.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 22:43:39 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:

Only if you've let Apple/Google have your data (I don't) or run

your
own cloud/sync server (I do). Or use something like "My Phone
Explorer".

I try to avoid cloud - how do you do your sync?

For the server end orginally OwnCloud running on my server. Now using
NextCloud but still on my server. Android phone/tablet uses DAVx5
(formerly DAVDroid).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 10:32:51 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 22:43:39 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:

Only if you've let Apple/Google have your data (I don't) or run

your
own cloud/sync server (I do). Or use something like "My Phone
Explorer".

I try to avoid cloud - how do you do your sync?

For the server end orginally OwnCloud running on my server. Now using
NextCloud but still on my server. Android phone/tablet uses DAVx5
(formerly DAVDroid).

Thanks - I'll have to have a look though I want to run the server side
on my main machine (laptop). Currently I am using radicale both under
Win10 and dual booted Linux with the data on a shared partition. It
seems ok but there are idiosyncrasies and I don't know whether they
are server software based, client based or Davx5 (using the FDroid
rep).

Recurring tasks don't seem well handled but that might be the Open
Tasks app on Android.

Makes me realise how well Microsoft Outlook (XP) and my Windows CE
phone sync worked for all these (13+) yrs.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

..

Ordered a Motorola G9 Play today from John Lewis.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 18:47, JohnP wrote:
.

Ordered a Motorola G9 Play today from John Lewis.

I went for the standard G8, which turns out to be pretty neat for 120 notes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 January 2021 at 21:24:55 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 08/01/2021 18:47, JohnP wrote:
.

Ordered a Motorola G9 Play today from John Lewis.

I went for the standard G8, which turns out to be pretty neat for 120 notes.

The Play is a nice phone but I have the G8. Great phone although I couldnt put a compass app on it. Got my wife the G9 and she now hardly uses her laptop. Had mine for a couple of years now after Id lost my new Galaxy. Wouldnt go back to an expensive Samsung again (Im sim only)