Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mobile phone

I am not a phone geek. My first and only smart phone is a Doogee x5 Max
which cost less than 80 a few years ago. It is absolutely fine, but it is
Android 6 and I feel I need a newer version for compatability with newer
apps and devices.
I definately don't want a status symbol and I would rather pay up front
rather than a monthly fee.
Any thoughts on where to look - or any recommendations?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
I am not a phone geek. My first and only smart phone is a Doogee x5 Max
which cost less than 80 a few years ago. It is absolutely fine, but it
is Android 6 and I feel I need a newer version for compatability with
newer apps and devices. I definately don't want a status symbol and I
would rather pay up front rather than a monthly fee. Any thoughts on
where to look - or any recommendations?

Bought mine (4 models back iPhone) from John Lewis. It's now 5 models back!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2020 10:24, charles wrote:
In article ,
JohnP wrote:
I am not a phone geek. My first and only smart phone is a Doogee x5 Max
which cost less than £80 a few years ago. It is absolutely fine, but it
is Android 6 and I feel I need a newer version for compatability with
newer apps and devices. I definately don't want a status symbol and I
would rather pay up front rather than a monthly fee. Any thoughts on
where to look - or any recommendations?

Bought mine (4 models back iPhone) from John Lewis. It's now 5 models back!

i seem to be on android 9..

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2020 09:21, JohnP wrote:
I am not a phone geek. My first and only smart phone is a Doogee x5 Max
which cost less than Ł80 a few years ago. It is absolutely fine, but it is
Android 6 and I feel I need a newer version for compatability with newer
apps and devices.
I definately don't want a status symbol and I would rather pay up front
rather than a monthly fee.
Any thoughts on where to look - or any recommendations?

HTC refurb from GiffGaff?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2020 09:21, JohnP wrote:
I am not a phone geek. My first and only smart phone is a Doogee x5 Max
which cost less than £80 a few years ago. It is absolutely fine, but it is
Android 6 and I feel I need a newer version for compatability with newer
apps and devices.
I definately don't want a status symbol and I would rather pay up front
rather than a monthly fee.
Any thoughts on where to look - or any recommendations?

A samsung galaxy is pretty boring and stock
Depending on whether you need special carrier features you cab get a
cheapo even in Argos

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2020 13:32, ARW wrote:
On 27/12/2020 12:44, Richard wrote:
On 27/12/2020 09:21, JohnP wrote:
I am not a phone geek. My first and only smart phone is a Doogee x5 Max
which cost less than £80 a few years ago. It is absolutely fine, but
it is
Android 6 and I feel I need a newer version for compatability with
newer
apps and devices.
I definately don't want a status symbol and I would rather pay up front
rather than a monthly fee.
Any thoughts on where to look - or any recommendations?

A samsung galaxy is pretty boring and stock

Compared to what?

An iron.

I'm not gonna fall for that one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 27/12/2020 16:35, Richard wrote:
On 27/12/2020 13:32, ARW wrote:
On 27/12/2020 12:44, Richard wrote:
On 27/12/2020 09:21, JohnP wrote:
I am not a phone geek. My first and only smart phone is a Doogee x5
Max
which cost less than £80 a few years ago. It is absolutely fine,
but it is
Android 6 and I feel I need a newer version for compatability with
newer
apps and devices.
I definately don't want a status symbol and I would rather pay up
front
rather than a monthly fee.
Any thoughts on where to look - or any recommendations?

A samsung galaxy is pretty boring and stock

Compared to what?

An iron.

I'm not gonna fall for that one.

I would have been disappointed had you done so:-)

My Galaxy 2017 A5 went to the grave a few weeks ago. Suicide jump off
the top of the tower scaffold.

I had a second hand S6 as a backup (that runs on Android 7).

My next phone will also be a galaxy. Probably the S8.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 27/12/2020 09:21, JohnP wrote:
I am not a phone geek. My first and only smart phone is a Doogee x5 Max
which cost less than Ł80 a few years ago. It is absolutely fine, but it is
Android 6 and I feel I need a newer version for compatability with newer
apps and devices.
I definately don't want a status symbol and I would rather pay up front
rather than a monthly fee.
Any thoughts on where to look - or any recommendations?

Bought my last few from CEX. Never had any problems.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2020 09:21, JohnP wrote:
I am not a phone geek. My first and only smart phone is a Doogee x5 Max
which cost less than Ł80 a few years ago. It is absolutely fine, but it is
Android 6 and I feel I need a newer version for compatability with newer
apps and devices.
I definately don't want a status symbol and I would rather pay up front
rather than a monthly fee.
Any thoughts on where to look - or any recommendations?

I've been happy with several entry level and budget "Motorolas" with
good deals by staying "one model behind" and/or "returns".

Currently on a Huawei which is OK but not perfect (wifi speed can drop
right off and sometimes have problems with BBC Sounds (which could be
wifi speed related).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

..

Ordered a Motorola G9 Play today from John Lewis.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 18:47, JohnP wrote:
.

Ordered a Motorola G9 Play today from John Lewis.

I went for the standard G8, which turns out to be pretty neat for 120 notes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 January 2021 at 21:24:55 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 08/01/2021 18:47, JohnP wrote:
.

Ordered a Motorola G9 Play today from John Lewis.

I went for the standard G8, which turns out to be pretty neat for 120 notes.

The Play is a nice phone but I have the G8. Great phone although I couldnt put a compass app on it. Got my wife the G9 and she now hardly uses her laptop. Had mine for a couple of years now after Id lost my new Galaxy. Wouldnt go back to an expensive Samsung again (Im sim only)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2020 09:21, JohnP wrote:
I am not a phone geek. My first and only smart phone is a Doogee x5 Max
which cost less than Ł80 a few years ago. It is absolutely fine, but it is
Android 6 and I feel I need a newer version for compatability with newer
apps and devices.
I definately don't want a status symbol and I would rather pay up front
rather than a monthly fee.
Any thoughts on where to look - or any recommendations?

I have an Xiaomi MI A2 bought about two years ago. At the time a fairly
good phone for the money. I won't control the washing machine though I
have never understood why I would want it to. On Xmas day I found that
it would control a Roberts radio that I bought a few years ago.

I did manage to enable Wifi calling but I can't force it to use Wifi
rather than the flaky mobile signal where I live. My Vodafone
Shuresignal box died after 27 months just like all the others. I change
some capacitors but alas it still does not work.

We had a power cut at 01.15 this morning and I was able to find out
details using the mobile. Power was not restored until just after 12.30.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
On 27/12/2020 09:21, JohnP wrote:
I am not a phone geek. My first and only smart phone is a Doogee x5 Max
which cost less than Ł80 a few years ago. It is absolutely fine, but it
is
Android 6 and I feel I need a newer version for compatability with newer
apps and devices.
I definately don't want a status symbol and I would rather pay up front
rather than a monthly fee.
Any thoughts on where to look - or any recommendations?

I have an Xiaomi MI A2 bought about two years ago. At the time a fairly
good phone for the money.

I won't control the washing machine though I have never understood why I
would want it to.

So you can have some programs you use all
the time and just tap on the one you want
with a particular wash instead of farting
around selecting the right program on the
machine with its unique way of doing things.

Same with the microwave with those
too stupid to work out how to use one.

On Xmas day I found that it would control a Roberts radio that I bought a
few years ago.

I did manage to enable Wifi calling but I can't force it to use Wifi
rather than the flaky mobile signal where I live. My Vodafone Shuresignal
box died after 27 months just like all the others. I change some
capacitors but alas it still does not work.

We had a power cut at 01.15 this morning and I was able to find out
details using the mobile. Power was not restored until just after 12.30.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2020 16:36, Fred wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
On 27/12/2020 09:21, JohnP wrote:
I am not a phone geek. My first and only smart phone is a Doogee x5 Max
which cost less than Ł80 a few years ago. It is absolutely fine, but
it is
Android 6 and I feel I need a newer version for compatability with newer
apps and devices.
I definately don't want a status symbol and I would rather pay up front
rather than a monthly fee.
Any thoughts on where to look - or any recommendations?

I have an Xiaomi MI A2 bought about two years ago.* At the time a
fairly good phone for the money.

I won't control the washing machine though I have never understood why
I would want it to.

So you can have some programs you use all
the time

Yes. I have one.

and just tap on the one you want
In a unique way of doing things
with a particular wash instead of farting
around selecting the right program on the
machine with its unique way of doing things.

This guy has cognitive dissonance. If its got 'programs' it must be better.

Back in the day in Jo burg we all had Blackomatics. Fully voice
activated and could sense the type of wash needed and do the ironing and
put the clothes in the drawers as well.

When a washing machine can do all that, automatically, I might consider
more than the basic..

Same with the microwave with those
too stupid to work out how to use one.

And here we see what is behind the cognitive dissonance. The man thinks
that by having lots of knobs and dials and fiddleables and a touch
screen, he is showing off how intelligent he is, whereas to the
professional IT man, he is merely showing how stupid he was to have
bought such a piece of blinged up consumer tat in the first place..

If Rattner had made consumer electronics, it would all have had a touch
screen

Smart people used dumb technology. Stupid people buy smart technology.

--
A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
We did this ourselves.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2020 16:36, Fred wrote:

[...]

We'll see...

If its got 'programs' it must be better.

Nope, just more convenient so you dont have
to remember how each appliance does things.
Ideal for stupids like you who can't even manage
to get a digital microwave to heat whats in it at
full power for 4 minutes.

Back in the day in Jo burg we all had Blackomatics. Fully voice activated
and could sense the type of wash needed and do the ironing and put the
clothes in the drawers as well.

And now you are so destitute that you have to
do it yourself and can't even manage to answer
an incoming call on a mobile phone.

When a washing machine can do all that, automatically, I might consider
more than the basic..

You have always been completely irrelevant.

Same with the microwave with those
too stupid to work out how to use one.

And here we see what is behind the cognitive dissonance.

We'll see...

The man thinks that by having lots of knobs and dials and fiddleables and
a touch screen, he is showing off how intelligent he is,

Nope, how much more convenient it is to do stuff like
rice which needs more than just a power level and a time.

whereas to the professional IT man,

Who can't even manage to answer
an incoming call on a mobile phone.

he is merely showing how stupid he was to have bought such a piece of
blinged up consumer tat in the first place..

If Rattner had made consumer electronics, it would all have had a touch
screen

Smart people used dumb technology.

Clearly not you who can't even manage to
answer an incoming call on a mobile phone.

Stupid people buy smart technology.

Smart people buy tech which makes things more
convenient like a smartphone which tells you which
supermarket has all the stuff on your shopping list
in stock and even lets you avoid standing in line at
the checkout and get infected with the virus when
their country is too stupid to handle the virus without
an immense pile of corpses. And even gets really
radical and tells you when it opens and closes too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 04:19:13 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

Stupid people buy smart technology.

Smart people buy tech which makes things more

ONLY mindless consumers such as yourself, will buy any new-fangled idiotic
gadgets to compensate for their emotional deficiencies, you absolutely
idiotic, typical, senile Google, M$, Apple and Amazon adorer!

Go have another chat with your one and only "girlfriend", senile asshole:
Alexa! LOL

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 17:19, Fred wrote:

On 27/12/2020 16:36, Fred wrote:

[...]

Yup! :-)

When a washing machine can do all that, automatically, I might
consider more than the basic..

You have always been completely irrelevant.

Oh dear...

Same with the microwave with those
too stupid to work out how to use one.

And here we see what is behind the cognitive dissonance.

We'll see...

The man thinks that by having lots of knobs and dials and fiddleables
and a touch screen, he is showing off how intelligent he is,

Nope, how much more convenient it is to do stuff like
rice which needs more than just a power level and a time.

No, it doesn't actually,.

whereas to the professional IT man,

Who can't even manage to answer
an incoming call on a mobile phone.

he is merely showing how stupid he was to have bought such a piece of
blinged up consumer tat in the first place..

If Rattner had made consumer electronics, it would all have had a
touch screen

Smart people used dumb technology.

Clearly not you who can't even manage to
answer an incoming call on a mobile phone.

Oh dear

Stupid people buy smart technology.

Smart people buy tech which makes things more
convenient like a smartphone which tells you which
supermarket has all the stuff on your shopping list
in stock and even lets you avoid standing in line at
the checkout and get infected with the virus when
their country is too stupid to handle the virus without
an immense pile of corpses. And even gets really
radical and tells you when it opens and closes too.

Poor Fred. Thinks he is dead smart cos he can use almost 1% of the
featrures on his mobile phone

--
WOKE is an acronym... Without Originality, Knowledge or Education.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2020 09:21, JohnP wrote:
I am not a phone geek. My first and only smart phone is a Doogee x5 Max
which cost less than Ł80 a few years ago. It is absolutely fine, but it is
Android 6 and I feel I need a newer version for compatability with newer
apps and devices.
I definately don't want a status symbol and I would rather pay up front
rather than a monthly fee.
Any thoughts on where to look - or any recommendations?

The kids have always had the Moto G ones - very well made by Lenovo
(sold under the Motorola name), and are extremely good value for money.
I would say 10% below the top of the range from Apple or Samsung in
terms of performance/look, for only around 15-20% of the price.
They come with the latest version of Android and are the first to
receive any update if and when they become available.

This one for example (just bought one for my daughter) is light years
ahead of what you currently have in your pocket in terms of speed,
quality of the camera, compatibility (wifi, bluetooth, etc) and they all
come with 2 year warranty.

https://www.johnlewis.com/motorola-g...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote in
:

https://www.johnlewis.com/motorola-g...4gb-ram-6-4-in
ch-4g-lte-sim-free-64gb/p4934676?sku=238626632&colour=P

Many thanks - I will do some comparisons.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote in
:

https://www.johnlewis.com/motorola-g...4gb-ram-6-4-in
ch-4g-lte-sim-free-64gb/p4934676?sku=238626632&colour=Pearl+White&s_ppc
=2dx92700055386116203&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=Cj0K CQiA_qD_BRDiARIsANjZ2
LCE_NpErNGTwMMF8dga1Q-gsBkqwsmz4-7S3iZ3ue-6oVORv7DILXUaAv8KEALw_wcB&gcl
src=aw.ds

My wife's Lenovo Tablet is excellent.

Thinking I may add NTFC to my "wants"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2020 22:53, JohnP wrote:
JoeJoe wrote in
:

https://www.johnlewis.com/motorola-g...4gb-ram-6-4-in
ch-4g-lte-sim-free-64gb/p4934676?sku=238626632&colour=Pearl+White&s_ppc
=2dx92700055386116203&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=Cj0K CQiA_qD_BRDiARIsANjZ2
LCE_NpErNGTwMMF8dga1Q-gsBkqwsmz4-7S3iZ3ue-6oVORv7DILXUaAv8KEALw_wcB&gcl
src=aw.ds

My wife's Lenovo Tablet is excellent.

Thinking I may add NTFC to my "wants"

This model does not support NFC - particularly useful if you want to use
contactless payment.

If you want NFC then you will have to go for the more expensive 8 Plus
version - the one I bought for my daughter:
https://www.motorola.co.uk/smartphon...g-plus-gen-8/p for example

Note that the 2 year warranty comes from Motorola, so nothing is lost if
not buying from John Lewis

The best website for detailed comparison that I found is
https://www.gsmarena.com/ which allows you to place 3 different models
side by side with all their features listed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
JoeJoe wrote in
:

https://www.johnlewis.com/motorola-g...4gb-ram-6-4-in
ch-4g-lte-sim-free-64gb/p4934676?sku=238626632&colour=Pearl+White&s_ppc
=2dx92700055386116203&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=Cj0K CQiA_qD_BRDiARIsANjZ2
LCE_NpErNGTwMMF8dga1Q-gsBkqwsmz4-7S3iZ3ue-6oVORv7DILXUaAv8KEALw_wcB&gcl
src=aw.ds

My wife's Lenovo Tablet is excellent.

Thinking I may add NTFC to my "wants"

Yeah, I would, I pay for everything with the phone
now. Much more secure than a contactless card
with even the most shonky operation because
the merchant never sees any of your details and
cant skim the card and cant do any transactions
if you lose the card or it gets stolen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yeah, I would, I pay for everything with the phone
now. Much more secure than a contactless card
with even the most shonky operation because
the merchant never sees any of your details and
cant skim the card and cant do any transactions
if you lose the card or it gets stolen.

One of the good things to come from the pandemic is the widespread
acceptance of cashless payments for even piddling amounts.

another is not having to kiss virtual strange women as a courtesy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/12/2020 18:27, JohnP wrote:

Yeah, I would, I pay for everything with the phone
now. Much more secure than a contactless card
with even the most shonky operation because
the merchant never sees any of your details and
cant skim the card and cant do any transactions
if you lose the card or it gets stolen.

One of the good things to come from the pandemic is the widespread
acceptance of cashless payments for even piddling amounts.

Not if you are stuck behind a driver using cashless at Dunham Bridge.

another is not having to kiss virtual strange women as a courtesy.

That's their loss.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 10:45:57 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

Yeah, I would, I pay for everything with the phone
now.

Yeah, you ARE that kind of a typical mindless senile consumer who is "proud"
of being a "progressive" senile asshole, senile Rodent!

--
John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"