Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default No compact 10.8v drills - has everyone gone power mad?

I have been vaguely looking for a second combi-drill/impact-driver set
to complement my existing Titan 10.8v pair which I love.

However no one (well neither Screwfix nor Toolstation) now seem to
have anything vaguely similar, there's not a single drill that doesn't
have a bulky sticking-out battery on the end of the handle.

The whole beauty of my 10.8v Titans is that the handle and battery are
all the same diameter. They are perfectly capable of driving all the
screws (up to 6mm) that I want to drive and with one spare battery can
keep up well with my use.

I think everyone has gone power mad! I don't need battery capacity
sufficient for a serious SDS drill, I just get my old mains powered
one if I need that. The portability and 'ease in the hand' of my
10.8v drills is what makes them so good for me.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

I have been vaguely looking for a second combi-drill/impact-driver set
to complement my existing Titan 10.8v pair which I love.

I have a pair of 10.8V drill/drivers (handy avoid keep having to swap
pilot drill/countersink and screwdriver bits)

Even at the time I got them, it seemed 10.8V was being phased-out for
14V/18V
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2020 09:34, Chris Green wrote:
I have been vaguely looking for a second combi-drill/impact-driver set
to complement my existing Titan 10.8v pair which I love.

However no one (well neither Screwfix nor Toolstation) now seem to
have anything vaguely similar, there's not a single drill that doesn't
have a bulky sticking-out battery on the end of the handle.

The whole beauty of my 10.8v Titans is that the handle and battery are
all the same diameter. They are perfectly capable of driving all the
screws (up to 6mm) that I want to drive and with one spare battery can
keep up well with my use.

I think everyone has gone power mad! I don't need battery capacity
sufficient for a serious SDS drill, I just get my old mains powered
one if I need that. The portability and 'ease in the hand' of my
10.8v drills is what makes them so good for me.

Makita still do a fairly large range of 10.8V tools, but they seem to
have moved away from the slim "in handle" battery design for a more
traditional wide batt.

Some of the Bosch ones in a similar format are still available:

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/bosch-g...iver-body-only

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 10:07:46 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

I have been vaguely looking for a second combi-drill/impact-driver set
to complement my existing Titan 10.8v pair which I love.

I have a pair of 10.8V drill/drivers (handy avoid keep having to swap
pilot drill/countersink and screwdriver bits)

Even at the time I got them, it seemed 10.8V was being phased-out for
14V/18V

Bosch 10.8V are now 12V but can be used with the 10.8V battery.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

I have been vaguely looking for a second combi-drill/impact-driver set
to complement my existing Titan 10.8v pair which I love.

I have a pair of 10.8V drill/drivers (handy avoid keep having to swap
pilot drill/countersink and screwdriver bits)

Even at the time I got them, it seemed 10.8V was being phased-out for
14V/18V

Bosch 10.8V are now 12V but can be used with the 10.8V battery.

But if you use a 10.8v battery is it a neat 'seamless' handle?

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes
I have been vaguely looking for a second combi-drill/impact-driver set
to complement my existing Titan 10.8v pair which I love.

However no one (well neither Screwfix nor Toolstation) now seem to
have anything vaguely similar, there's not a single drill that doesn't
have a bulky sticking-out battery on the end of the handle.

The whole beauty of my 10.8v Titans is that the handle and battery are
all the same diameter. They are perfectly capable of driving all the
screws (up to 6mm) that I want to drive and with one spare battery can
keep up well with my use.

I think everyone has gone power mad! I don't need battery capacity
sufficient for a serious SDS drill, I just get my old mains powered
one if I need that. The portability and 'ease in the hand' of my
10.8v drills is what makes them so good for me.

Marketing?

Everyone, including you and me:-) already has an early version of
battery hand tools! Mostly with batteries that are overdue for
replacement.

New sales are based on better performance/features.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 18 December 2020 at 11:09:34 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
[...]

The old maxim applies, you can have too little power but you can never have too much.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

Bosch 10.8V are now 12V but can be used with the 10.8V battery.

That's just the old marketing vs technical MOAAR POWAH! argument

3x3.6V = 10.8V nominal or 3x4V=12V fully charged
5x3.6V = 18V nominal or 5x4V=20V fully charged
10x3.6V = 36V nominal or 10x4V=40V fully charged

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

Yes you can have too much, my Metabo 12v cordless driver (N.B. not an
imapct driver) shears m4 and m5 screws quite easily! :-)

The little 10.8v impact driver is *much* more practical for just about
everything I do. It's still working fine, batteries sound, etc. I
just want *another* so that I can keep it/them in two places.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2020 11:17, Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

Oh yes you can!
Tail happy sports cars come to mind

Richard

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.

Herbert Spencer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2020 11:18, Andy Burns wrote:
PeterC wrote:

Bosch 10.8V are now 12V but can be used with the 10.8V battery.

That's just the old marketing vs technical MOAAR POWAH! argument

3x3.6V = 10.8V nominal or 3x4V=12V fully charged
5x3.6V = 18V nominal or 5x4V=20V fully charged
10x3.6V = 36V nominal or 10x4V=40V fully charged

Actually its 3.7V and 4.2V

3x3.7V = 11.1V nominal or 3x4.2V=12.6V fully charged
5x3.7V = 18.5V nominal or 5x4.2V=21V fully charged
10x3.7V = 37V nominal or 10x4.2V=42V fully charged

Of course the voltage is supremely irrelevant and goes back to the days
when all there was was a 600mAh 1.2v sub C nickel cell. If you wanted
more capacity you had to stack em in series.

And you can wind a motor for any voltage you want. And build a lithium
cell to any capacity you want...

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.

Herbert Spencer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2020 09:34, Chris Green wrote:
I have been vaguely looking for a second combi-drill/impact-driver set
to complement my existing Titan 10.8v pair which I love.

However no one (well neither Screwfix nor Toolstation) now seem to
have anything vaguely similar, there's not a single drill that doesn't
have a bulky sticking-out battery on the end of the handle.

The whole beauty of my 10.8v Titans is that the handle and battery are
all the same diameter. They are perfectly capable of driving all the
screws (up to 6mm) that I want to drive and with one spare battery can
keep up well with my use.

I think everyone has gone power mad! I don't need battery capacity
sufficient for a serious SDS drill, I just get my old mains powered
one if I need that. The portability and 'ease in the hand' of my
10.8v drills is what makes them so good for me.

I can recommend Metabo 10.8 drill/drivers (mine came with a handy angled
drive attachments). The batteries are quite small and last a very long
time between charges.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 18/12/2020 09:34, Chris Green wrote:
I have been vaguely looking for a second combi-drill/impact-driver set
to complement my existing Titan 10.8v pair which I love.

However no one (well neither Screwfix nor Toolstation) now seem to
have anything vaguely similar, there's not a single drill that doesn't
have a bulky sticking-out battery on the end of the handle.

The whole beauty of my 10.8v Titans is that the handle and battery are
all the same diameter. They are perfectly capable of driving all the
screws (up to 6mm) that I want to drive and with one spare battery can
keep up well with my use.

I think everyone has gone power mad! I don't need battery capacity
sufficient for a serious SDS drill, I just get my old mains powered
one if I need that. The portability and 'ease in the hand' of my
10.8v drills is what makes them so good for me.

I don't really understand the question. What's wrong with this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-GSB-1.../dp/B01N4PT3ST

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

Bosch 10.8V are now 12V but can be used with the 10.8V battery.

That's just the old marketing vs technical MOAAR POWAH! argument

3x3.6V = 10.8V nominal or 3x4V=12V fully charged
5x3.6V = 18V nominal or 5x4V=20V fully charged
10x3.6V = 36V nominal or 10x4V=40V fully charged

Actually its 3.7V and 4.2V

3x3.7V = 11.1V nominal or 3x4.2V=12.6V fully charged
5x3.7V = 18.5V nominal or 5x4.2V=21V fully charged
10x3.7V = 37V nominal or 10x4.2V=42V fully charged

Of course the voltage is supremely irrelevant and goes back to the days
when all there was was a 600mAh 1.2v sub C nickel cell. If you wanted
more capacity you had to stack em in series.

And you can wind a motor for any voltage you want. And build a lithium
cell to any capacity you want...

Contact resistance and electronics tend to favour a higher voltage lower
current. The limit being what is considered safe for the human body and
how many cells you can get in a package.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

[...]

Not necessarily. There is a broad sweet spot between 10v and 200V. and
10A an 100A. Contact resistance doesn't come into a modern variable
speed brushless.

And calculations show that where motors are concerned the same weight of
copper in a few fat turns or a lot of thin ones ends up the same if you
adjust the voltage..

To be sure if you are cheapskating the power FETS a higher voltage lower
current is a bit less demanding in terms of 'on resistance'

And wires in excess of 100A get pretty unweildy.

"Saki"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

[...]

Battery contact resistance and general wiring in a cordless tool can be
significant. I think an earlier post established a typical stall current.

100V would not be tolerated in a system that has unshrouded terminals.
Hence why 60V systems are going to be as high as they're going to get.

And calculations show that where motors are concerned the same weight of
copper in a few fat turns or a lot of thin ones ends up the same if you
adjust the voltage..

There is a gradual loss of efficiency of windings with thin wire where
insulation takes a higher proportion of wire diameter. I doubt that will
be much of an issue with cordless tools.

To be sure if you are cheapskating the power FETS a higher voltage lower
current is a bit less demanding in terms of 'on resistance'

This is all about cost.

And wires in excess of 100A get pretty unweildy.

For extended periods, yes, as do contacts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
I have been vaguely looking for a second combi-drill/impact-driver set
to complement my existing Titan 10.8v pair which I love.

However no one (well neither Screwfix nor Toolstation) now seem to
have anything vaguely similar, there's not a single drill that doesn't
have a bulky sticking-out battery on the end of the handle.

The whole beauty of my 10.8v Titans is that the handle and battery are
all the same diameter. They are perfectly capable of driving all the
screws (up to 6mm) that I want to drive and with one spare battery can
keep up well with my use.

I think everyone has gone power mad! I don't need battery capacity
sufficient for a serious SDS drill, I just get my old mains powered
one if I need that. The portability and 'ease in the hand' of my
10.8v drills is what makes them so good for me.

Other thing is a full sized cordless usually has a 1/2" chuck. Which won't
take small drills. As well as being a bit heavy for electronics stuff
where you rarely need large drills or much power, but do need to drill
holes larger than a hobby drill can manage. I had a nice little 7.2v
Russell which was a good screwdriver too - but getting long in the tooth
with Ni-Cad batteries, and a key chuck.

I got a nice 10.8v 1.3 amp.hr Li-Ion from Lidl as a replacement. Battery
fits inside the handle. Not really looked, but they do still seem to offer
some tools with the same sort of battery, so the drills may also come up.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:
The old maxim applies, you can have too little power but you can never
have too much.

I prefer the Rolls Royce version - adequate.

--
*Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Yes you can have too much, my Metabo 12v cordless driver (N.B. not an
imapct driver) shears m4 and m5 screws quite easily! :-)

The little 10.8v impact driver is *much* more practical for just about
everything I do. It's still working fine, batteries sound, etc. I
just want *another* so that I can keep it/them in two places.

Surely any half decent drill designed for screwdriving has torque setting?
Even my cheap, cheerful and ancient Russell does.

--
* What do they call a coffee break at the Lipton Tea Company? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bosch used to make one about 7 years ago. I wonder what the perceived
problem was?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Chris Green wrote:

I have been vaguely looking for a second combi-drill/impact-driver set
to complement my existing Titan 10.8v pair which I love.

I have a pair of 10.8V drill/drivers (handy avoid keep having to swap
pilot drill/countersink and screwdriver bits)

Even at the time I got them, it seemed 10.8V was being phased-out for
14V/18V

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Actually its 3.7V and 4.2V

3x3.7V = 11.1V nominal or 3x4.2V=12.6V fully charged
5x3.7V = 18.5V nominal or 5x4.2V=21V fully charged
10x3.7V = 37V nominal or 10x4.2V=42V fully charged

Yes, but of course none of the tool manufacturers make batteries
advertised as any of those voltages.

And you can wind a motor for any voltage you want. And build a lithium
cell to any capacity you want...

Contact resistance and electronics tend to favour a higher voltage lower
current. The limit being what is considered safe for the human body and
how many cells you can get in a package.

Dewalt have switchable 18V/54V batteries, presume without talking to a
high-voltage tool the battery defaults to 18V to avoid users touching
54V terminals, and so counts as ELV?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
[...]

Nothing, but Toolstation and Screwfix haven't anything like it. It
seems that Bosch are it.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Chris Green wrote:

I have been vaguely looking for a second combi-drill/impact-driver set
to complement my existing Titan 10.8v pair which I love.

I have a pair of 10.8V drill/drivers (handy avoid keep having to swap
pilot drill/countersink and screwdriver bits)

Even at the time I got them, it seemed 10.8V was being phased-out for
14V/18V

Bosch 10.8V are now 12V but can be used with the 10.8V battery.

But if you use a 10.8v battery is it a neat 'seamless' handle?

Yes.

The 12v is the same voltage as the 10.8v they have just changed the name

--
djc

(̿Ĺ̯̿ ̿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 18/12/2020 15:29, Chris Green wrote:
GB wrote:
[...]

Some of the Lidl offering seem to be based on the Bosch design.

--
djc

(̿Ĺ̯̿ ̿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
[...]

Be nice to know where all the various Lidl tools originate from.

I got a real oddity from them. It's basically a circle cutter for wood - a
small router and guides. It cuts smaller holes than my conventional router
will manage, so I've found it very useful for loudspeaker cut-outs. But
the bits are all imperial sized rather than metric, suggesting it
originated from something for the US market. Dremel supply bits that fit,
but are rather pricey.

--
*If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

I have been vaguely looking for a second combi-drill/impact-driver set
to complement my existing Titan 10.8v pair which I love.

I have a pair of 10.8V drill/drivers (handy avoid keep having to swap
pilot drill/countersink and screwdriver bits)

Even at the time I got them, it seemed 10.8V was being phased-out for
14V/18V

Bosch 10.8V are now 12V but can be used with the 10.8V battery.

But if you use a 10.8v battery is it a neat 'seamless' handle?

Yes.

The 12v is the same voltage as the 10.8v they have just changed the name

Yes, it's just a /marketing thing really. I bought a '12V' realcement battery
and it is exactly the same as my original 10.8v battery

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/blo...-10-8v-to-12v/.

I've got a Blue bosch 10.8/12v drill/driver + impact driver set and they are
great, as you say, really handy and suprisingly verstile for thier size. My go
to ones for most jobs.

These I think (though bought in a different set)

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bos...ies-06019a6979

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 18 December 2020 at 09:48:06 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Makita TD110DZ 10.8V CXT Impact Driver Bare Unit
https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Ma...iver-Bare-Unit

However you are unlikely to be able to use a 10.8v battery pack in any other device. With 12 or 18v there is a reasonable possibility of finding them usable in other tools.

If compact, low voltage is needed, there are still 7.2v Makita screwdriver/drills.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
However you are unlikely to be able to use a 10.8v battery pack in any
other device. With 12 or 18v there is a reasonable possibility of
finding them usable in other tools.

Wouldn't it be nice if battery packs were standardised across makers?

--
*Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice if battery packs were standardised across makers?

There's this https://www.cordless-alliance-system.com

But I can't see any of the bigger names turning their backs on their
existing tools/batteries, there are adapter plates ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 13:46:08 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
However you are unlikely to be able to use a 10.8v battery pack in any
other device. With 12 or 18v there is a reasonable possibility of
finding them usable in other tools.

Wouldn't it be nice if battery packs were standardised across makers?

Certainly would.

I keep wishing for some cordless kitchen appliances (e.g. stick mixer) - but would want to have to buy extra packs. And I am sure there are many other areas than power tools that could use the same battery packs - if everyone were so minded. And there could be real competition in terms of capacity, reliability, price, etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:
However you are unlikely to be able to use a 10.8v battery pack in any
other device. With 12 or 18v there is a reasonable possibility of
finding them usable in other tools.

Wouldn't it be nice if battery packs were standardised across makers?

Certainly would.

I keep wishing for some cordless kitchen appliances (e.g. stick mixer) -
but would want to have to buy extra packs. And I am sure there are many
other areas than power tools that could use the same battery packs - if
everyone were so minded. And there could be real competition in terms of
capacity, reliability, price, etc.

I made sure that when I bought a cordless chainsaw, strimmer and hedge
trimmer, they were all of the same make (Black and Decker) and had
interchangeable batteries. This allows me to have one battery in use, one
that is cooling down waiting to accept charge, and one that has already
cooled and is charging, when I'm doing a lot of sawing up tree branches into
firewood logs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

GB wrote:
[...]

Actually, Screwfix do.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwaukee...l-driver/774HF

I suspect that what you actually want is something a lot cheaper, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
[...]

Er, yes, a bit out of my price range. I suspect I don't work tools
hard enough to justify spending that sort of money.

It does look rather nice though! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 19/12/2020 15:07, Chris Green wrote:

It does look rather nice though! :-)

Doesn't it!

Toolstation do a 30 quid Bauker drill driver, but no matching impact driver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
[...]

I suspect that GIYF on this. I found an Einhell set:
https://www.mpmoran.co.uk/impact-dri...-12v-109116018

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2020 12:06, polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

There are quite a range of Mak tools that take that 10.8V platform:

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/catalog...makita%2010.8v

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

There are quite a range of Mak tools that take that 10.8V platform:

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/catalog...makita%2010.8v

Yes, for the "slide-on" 10.8V battery, what has more or less been
discontinued now are the tools that take a cylindrical/triangular
"shove-in" 10.8V battery, e.g.

https://cromwell.co.uk/shop/p/p/p/p/MAK2756693M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2020 08:58, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

There are quite a range of Mak tools that take that 10.8V platform:

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/catalog...makita%2010.8v

Yes, for the "slide-on" 10.8V battery, what has more or less been
discontinued now are the tools that take a cylindrical/triangular
"shove-in" 10.8V battery, e.g.

https://cromwell.co.uk/shop/p/p/p/p/MAK2756693M

Yup, I have almost that exact set - except mine has the combi version of
the drill[1] and it came in a fabric carry case. I have a small recip
saw that takes the same battery. One slight annoyance is that they only
do 1.3Ah batts for it. Probably worth recelling them with higher
capacity cells when the time comes.

[1] One slight flaw with the combi is the built in work light LED. Since
the function select collar adds a small amount of extra length, the
chuck ends up casting a shadow at the end of the drill bit.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...AndSpacing.jpg

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2020 09:34, Chris Green wrote:
I have been vaguely looking for a second combi-drill/impact-driver set
to complement my existing Titan 10.8v pair which I love.

However no one (well neither Screwfix nor Toolstation) now seem to
have anything vaguely similar, there's not a single drill that doesn't
have a bulky sticking-out battery on the end of the handle.

The whole beauty of my 10.8v Titans is that the handle and battery are
all the same diameter. They are perfectly capable of driving all the
screws (up to 6mm) that I want to drive and with one spare battery can
keep up well with my use.

I think everyone has gone power mad! I don't need battery capacity
sufficient for a serious SDS drill, I just get my old mains powered
one if I need that. The portability and 'ease in the hand' of my
10.8v drills is what makes them so good for me.

My Lidl drill and multi tool both have compact batteries in line with
the handle.

Mike