Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why?

....do the AF nut sizes on 15mm compression fittings vary by so much? About
1.5mm between the smallest and largest here. All new. The threads seem the
same - you can interchange the nuts.

If space is tight, you need a good spanner fit. And I hate adjustables.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 6 December 2020 at 17:24:31 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
...do the AF nut sizes on 15mm compression fittings vary by so much? About
1.5mm between the smallest and largest here. All new. The threads seem the
same - you can interchange the nuts.

If space is tight, you need a good spanner fit. And I hate adjustables.

Agreed - it seems odd that no-one seemed to define a standard. Or if they did, it didn't stick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

...do the AF nut sizes on 15mm compression fittings vary by so much? About
1.5mm between the smallest and largest here. All new. The threads seem the
same - you can interchange the nuts.

If space is tight, you need a good spanner fit. And I hate adjustables.

The big forged "wrap around" compression spanners seem to work on all
the variations, but yup there is a fair amount of variation for a a
"standard" nut!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ession_spanner

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

...do the AF nut sizes on 15mm compression fittings vary by so much? About
1.5mm between the smallest and largest here. All new. The threads seem the
same - you can interchange the nuts.

If space is tight, you need a good spanner fit. And I hate adjustables.

+1
I've just refitted a radiator today after some decorating and as you
have found the af sizes are different on two different fittings.

I've also come to the conclusion that Aladin self bleed valves are crap.
They work when new and not afterwards after draining a radiator, which
was removed 3 weeks ago and the valve has had a long time to dry out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There do seem to be issues with AF sizes generally, when I worked for Racal
we used to get large quantities of nuts but we in the end had to specify af
sizes as some designs meant that the bigger ones left no room for a spanner
and in any case as it was military equipment it had to all be the same. No
point in the middle of a battlefield trying to pop down to toolstation to
find an alternative spanner!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Sunday, 6 December 2020 at 17:24:31 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
...do the AF nut sizes on 15mm compression fittings vary by so much?
About
1.5mm between the smallest and largest here. All new. The threads seem
the
same - you can interchange the nuts.

If space is tight, you need a good spanner fit. And I hate adjustables.

Agreed - it seems odd that no-one seemed to define a standard. Or if they
did, it didn't stick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Dec 2020 at 23:13:23 GMT, "John Rumm"

...do the AF nut sizes on 15mm compression fittings vary by so much? About
1.5mm between the smallest and largest here. All new. The threads seem the
same - you can interchange the nuts.

If space is tight, you need a good spanner fit. And I hate adjustables.

The big forged "wrap around" compression spanners seem to work on all
the variations, but yup there is a fair amount of variation for a a
"standard" nut!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ession_spanner

Marvellous things when there's space to use them.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2020 08:59, RJH wrote:
On 6 Dec 2020 at 23:13:23 GMT, "John Rumm"

...do the AF nut sizes on 15mm compression fittings vary by so much? About
1.5mm between the smallest and largest here. All new. The threads seem the
same - you can interchange the nuts.

If space is tight, you need a good spanner fit. And I hate adjustables.

The big forged "wrap around" compression spanners seem to work on all
the variations, but yup there is a fair amount of variation for a a
"standard" nut!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ession_spanner

Marvellous things when there's space to use them.

Yup... I also keep a couple of those horrid flat pressed steel spanners
in the toolbox for the cases where there is no space.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 07/12/2020 08:59, RJH wrote:
On 6 Dec 2020 at 23:13:23 GMT, "John Rumm"

...do the AF nut sizes on 15mm compression fittings vary by so
much? About
1.5mm between the smallest and largest here. All new. The threads
seem the
same - you can interchange the nuts.
If space is tight, you need a good spanner fit. And I hate
adjustables.

The big forged "wrap around" compression spanners seem to work on all
the variations, but yup there is a fair amount of variation for a a
"standard" nut!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...Forged_compres
sion_spanner

Marvellous things when there's space to use them.

Yup... I also keep a couple of those horrid flat pressed steel spanners
in the toolbox for the cases where there is no space.

I'm gradually acquiring a set of ground down open jaw conventional
spanners.

If the question was "do plumbers carry a set of thin spanners"? The
answer is no, they just use more plumbers mait:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2020 23:13, John Rumm wrote:
...do the AF nut sizes on 15mm compression fittings vary by so much?
About
1.5mm between the smallest and largest here. All new. The threads seem
the
same - you can interchange the nuts.

If space is tight, you need a good spanner fit. And I hate adjustables.

The big forged "wrap around" compression spanners seem to work on all
the variations, but yup there is a fair amount of variation for a a
"standard" nut!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ession_spanner

Compression fittings are never done up 'tight' so even if the available
spanner is a bit slack, so what ?.

The pegeler website says tighten nuts less than 15mm by 1 complete turn
and 3/4 turn for 15mm and larger. That's after finger tightening.

There are always adjustables that set themselves, for those with
deep pockets -

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/wrenches/2012183/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 07/12/2020 08:59, RJH wrote:
[...]

I have car spanners. BSW, Unified and Metric all about this size. Can
usually find one that fits. But not always.

Thickness is another problem. With most adjustables being even thicker.

--
*We never really grow*up, we only learn how to act in public.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Shower head - why, why, why? :-) gareth UK diy 7 May 22nd 15 09:51 PM
Why oh why? John UK diy 24 May 18th 13 03:07 PM
O/T: Why, Why, Why Gramp's shop[_2_] Woodworking 0 April 20th 13 08:54 PM
Why, oh why??? Brent Beal Woodworking 38 February 19th 06 08:16 PM
NYW Shop Clock..why oh why GeeDubb Woodworking 37 February 17th 06 12:45 AM