Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Telescopic ladders?

I would like to be able to get up to the gutters / soffits on this two
story Victorian cottage and don't currently have a suitable ladder.

This wouldn't be for any extended work, just replacing a floodlight or
removing debris from the gutters etc.

I like the idea of the telescopic ladders from a storage / portability
POV but I have only ever footed a 3.2m one but I'm assuming I'd be
looking at something quite a bit longer to reach such heights
(probably 5+m)?

It looks like I can do those sorts of things I need from the guidance
he

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg455.pdf

.... and I would be able to secure the ladder appropriately so the
question is really around the feasibility of telescopic ladders of
that sort of length? I'm guessing they wouldn't make them if no one
bought them and from the specs I've seen they could easily support my
weight etc (ladder max 150kg etc).

I really wouldn't be using such regularly but would just like to be
able to myself if required (or set tree climbing daughter up there
whilst I foot it etc). ;-)

What does the panel think?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2020 00:04, T i m wrote:

What does the panel think?

I doubt if you would find one more than approx 3m to 4m. The weight and
base width rise quite a bit in a non-linear way the longer the
telescopic ladder.

Your gutter is probably more like 6m from the ground and for a ladder to
reach with the required lean you probably want more like 8 to 10m.
Ideally you want a ladder that reaches beyond the gutter. Working on the
inside of a gutter from a ladder that only reaches to below the gutter
is a PITA and possibly considered dangerous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2020 00:46:25, alan_m wrote:
On 20/11/2020 00:04, T i m wrote:

What does the panel think?

I doubt if you would find one more than approx 3m to 4m. The weight and
base width rise quite a bit in a non-linear way the longer the
telescopic ladder.

Your gutter is probably more like 6m from the ground and for a ladder to
reach with the required lean you probably want more like 8 to 10m.
Ideally you want a ladder that reaches beyond the gutter. Working on the
inside of a gutter from a ladder that only reaches to below the gutter
is a PITA and possibly considered dangerous.

Screwfix do one at 4.4m.

I saw this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-Purpo.../dp/B07SSZ42MW

but I wouldn't feel very confident with it's strength.

A 2 story Victorian house typically has higher than average ceilings too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2020 00:04, T i m wrote:
I would like to be able to get up to the gutters / soffits on this two
story Victorian cottage and don't currently have a suitable ladder.

This wouldn't be for any extended work, just replacing a floodlight or
removing debris from the gutters etc.

I like the idea of the telescopic ladders from a storage / portability
POV

I used ladders all day and every day during my working life. I owned two
telescopic ladders.

There are so many disadvantages to telescopic ladders that the only
sensible use for them is where the ladder has to be either stored or
gotten through a restricted space. Remember that an aluminium ladder can
be stored on a shed roof or hung on a wall as long as it is padlocked.

To use a ladder against guttering it needs to extent *at least* 600mm
above the guttering.

The best ladder for you would need to extend to 7 metres. A 7 metre
triple would be good, because for lower work you can discard one
section. If your gutters are really low you could maybe manage with a 6
metre ladder.

Using a ladder that isn't quite long enough for the job is a sure way of
having an accident. Ladders should always be oversized for the job.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A little springy and creaky, but it was many years ago, maybe they are
better now. Are we talking the ones that concertina, or some other type

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It hurts the arms as well. You can attach yourself OK, but looking down on a
job is to be preferred when I could do it. I did not like heights much when
I could see, now I can't see they don't worry me, but then I can't see to do
the job either!

Most telescopic ladders of a long enough length are still longish when
collapsed of course. I did see a long version of the concertina ladder that
would fit into a van, but it was very heavy, and had lots of give when
extended, and a very complicated latching system to keep it rigid.

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 20/11/2020 00:04, T i m wrote:

What does the panel think?

I doubt if you would find one more than approx 3m to 4m. The weight and
base width rise quite a bit in a non-linear way the longer the telescopic
ladder.

Your gutter is probably more like 6m from the ground and for a ladder to
reach with the required lean you probably want more like 8 to 10m. Ideally
you want a ladder that reaches beyond the gutter. Working on the inside of
a gutter from a ladder that only reaches to below the gutter is a PITA and
possibly considered dangerous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2020 04:48, williamwright wrote:

The best ladder for you would need to extend to 7 metres. A 7 metre
triple would be good, because for lower work you can discard one
section. If your gutters are really low you could maybe manage with a 6
metre ladder.

It depend on the height of Tim's Victorian house gutters? While his
"cottage" may have low ceilings my 1905 property has 9 foot high
ceilings, add the depth of the joists and floor boards between floors
and that the suspended floor inside is higher than ground level and I'm
already approaching 6 to 7 metres with a ladder fixed vertically to the
outside of my property

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2020 04:48, williamwright wrote:

I used ladders all day and every day during my working life. I owned two
telescopic ladders.

There are so many disadvantages to telescopic ladders that the only
sensible use for them is where the ladder has to be either stored or
gotten through a restricted space. Remember that an aluminium ladder can
be stored on a shed roof or hung on a wall as long as it is padlocked.

To use a ladder against guttering it needs to extent *at least* 600mm
above the guttering.

Can a stand-off be fitted safely to a telescopic ladder?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman formulated on Friday :
Can a stand-off be fitted safely to a telescopic ladder?

I have one which I bought (I think) a special offer from Tesco a few
years ago. Made from alloy, it works as either a flat wall stand off,
or can be located on the corner of a building. It just clips on to the
ladder via springs. I use it with my (very) heavy double extension. I
doubt it would work, or work as well with a telescopic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2020 00:04, T i m wrote:
[...]

My son bought one and I've used it once - I'm reasonably happy on normal
ladders but did not enjoy using his. Also, a stand-off makes gutter work
easier/safer and I doubt that you can fit one to a telescopic ladder.
Since I invested in a lightweight tower I use it in preference to a
ladder, despite the time taken to assemble and disassemble. Have you
investigated hiring/buying a tower?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2020 00:46, alan_m wrote:
On 20/11/2020 00:04, T i m wrote:

What does the panel think?

I doubt if you would find one more than approx 3m to 4m. The weight and
base width rise quite a bit in a non-linear way the longer the
telescopic ladder.

Your gutter is probably more like 6m from the ground and for a ladder to
reach with the required lean you probably want more like 8 to 10m.
Ideally you want a ladder that reaches beyond the gutter. Working on the
inside of a gutter from a ladder that only reaches to below the gutter
is a PITA and possibly considered dangerous.

I would also consider using a ladder stand off near the top and a set of
ladder stabilisers at the bottom.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
On 20/11/2020 00:04, T i m wrote:
[...]

and secured against slipping.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2020 00:04, T i m wrote:
I would like to be able to get up to the gutters / soffits on this two
story Victorian cottage and don't currently have a suitable ladder.

This wouldn't be for any extended work, just replacing a floodlight or
removing debris from the gutters etc.

A friend bought one, to clean gutters, 4.7M from Amazon. I'm supposed to
go around her house tomorrow and hold the bottom of the ladder for her.

I guess that is woman talk for she will hold the bottom of the ladder
while I clean her guttering. Actually, she'll probably get her son to
hold the ladder while I clean the guttering.

If you are interested I'll tell you what it was like Monday.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2020 07:55, alan_m wrote:
On 20/11/2020 04:48, williamwright wrote:

The best ladder for you would need to extend to 7 metres. A 7 metre
triple would be good, because for lower work you can discard one
section. If your gutters are really low you could maybe manage with a
6 metre ladder.

It depend on the height of Tim's Victorian house gutters? While his
"cottage" may have low ceilings my 1905 property has 9 foot high
ceilings, add the depth of the joists and floor boards between floors
and that the suspended floor inside is higher than ground level and I'm
already approaching 6 to 7 metres with a ladder fixed vertically to the
outside of my property

Doesn't he have a local hire shop where a much safer lightweight
tower structure could be obtained ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2020 00:04, T i m wrote:

What does the panel think?

I doubt if you would find one more than approx 3m to 4m. The weight
and base width rise quite a bit in a non-linear way the longer the
telescopic ladder.

Your gutter is probably more like 6m from the ground and for a ladder
to reach with the required lean you probably want more like 8 to 10m.
Ideally you want a ladder that reaches beyond the gutter. Working on
the inside of a gutter from a ladder that only reaches to below the
gutter is a PITA and possibly considered dangerous.

Screwfix do one at 4.4m.

I saw this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-Purpo.../dp/B07SSZ42MW

but I wouldn't feel very confident with it's strength.

A 2 story Victorian house typically has higher than average ceilings too.

He did say a cottage, though. Mine (OK, Georgian) is also on sloping
ground so IIRC I can easily reach one set of gutters with the telescopic
ladder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2020 10:17, Pancho wrote:

A friend bought one, to clean gutters, 4.7M from Amazon. I'm supposed to
go around her house tomorrow and hold the bottom of the ladder for her.

I guess that is woman talk for she will hold the bottom of the ladder
while I clean her guttering. Actually, she'll probably get her son to
hold the ladder while I clean the guttering.

If you are interested I'll tell you what it was like Monday.

You obviously know about women

Bill

Telescopic ladders TMH UK diy 23 September 18th 17 06:37 PM
Telescopic ladders? Lobster UK diy 4 March 17th 11 11:35 AM
In need of telescopic steel tubing (square or rectangular) DeepDiver Metalworking 10 May 31st 05 01:51 AM
Telescopic antenna repair GT Electronics Repair 1 January 22nd 04 10:50 PM
telescopic tubing Vittorio Metalworking 3 September 15th 03 04:41 PM