Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Telescopic ladders?

I've always fancied getting one, as I frequently end up transporting
ladders around by car, either shoehorning a stepladder inside (and
making any passenger sit behind me!) or raking out the roof rack and
tieing an extension ladder on top. Both a PITA.

Spotted this today:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/2.9m-telescopic-ladder-394611

....not a big fan of Maplin's normally, least of all for buying ladders!
but doesn't that look quite a reasonable deal? Looks like a 'Pro User'
brand - aren't they pretty good?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster wrote:
I've always fancied getting one, as I frequently end up transporting
ladders around by car, either shoehorning a stepladder inside (and
making any passenger sit behind me!) or raking out the roof rack and
tieing an extension ladder on top. Both a PITA.

Spotted this today:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/2.9m-telescopic-ladder-394611

...not a big fan of Maplin's normally, least of all for buying ladders!
but doesn't that look quite a reasonable deal? Looks like a 'Pro User'
brand - aren't they pretty good?

Looks almost identical to the one I just bought following a similar post
I made here about a month ago. It's not a pro brand, it's made cheap in
a factory in China (you did see the price?), but it's adequate providing
you aren't going to be using it 8hrs/day, 5days/week, 52...

It's fine for those of us who need a ladder from time to time, but it's
not a 'real' ladder. You should see it flex as you climb! (don't look
down). I think I bought a 3.2 metre version, I'm glad I did, the 2.9
wouldn't have given me the height I need.

Do I think it's great? No. Would I be lost without it? Yes.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2011 23:18, Justin C wrote:
In , Lobster wrote:
I've always fancied getting one, as I frequently end up transporting
ladders around by car, either shoehorning a stepladder inside (and
making any passenger sit behind me!) or raking out the roof rack and
tieing an extension ladder on top. Both a PITA.

Spotted this today:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/2.9m-telescopic-ladder-394611

...not a big fan of Maplin's normally, least of all for buying ladders!
but doesn't that look quite a reasonable deal? Looks like a 'Pro User'
brand - aren't they pretty good?

Looks almost identical to the one I just bought following a similar post
I made here about a month ago. It's not a pro brand, it's made cheap in
a factory in China (you did see the price?), but it's adequate providing

Ah just found that - thanks, useful thread. Should've searched first, eh?!

Is your model one of the ones mentioned where all the weight of any
un-extended rungs is borne aloft, when the ladder is used not fully
extended?

Cheers
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In , Lobster wrote:
[...]

I extend mine from the top, so any weight would be at the bottom, but
I've yet to use it only partially extended, I've always needed it all so
far.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:34:45 +0000, Lobster
wrote:

I've always fancied getting one, as I frequently end up transporting
ladders around by car, either shoehorning a stepladder inside (and
making any passenger sit behind me!) or raking out the roof rack and
tieing an extension ladder on top. Both a PITA.

Spotted this today:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/2.9m-telescopic-ladder-394611

...not a big fan of Maplin's normally, least of all for buying ladders!
but doesn't that look quite a reasonable deal? Looks like a 'Pro User'
brand - aren't they pretty good?

If it's anything like the usual telescopic ladder offerings then they
work, just. Using one, despite prominent claims to comply with some
'standard' (EN131-2) is nothing like using a proper ladder.

There is nowhere near enough material in their construction, combine
this with very small cross sectional areas and the result is very poor
stiffness. They are very easy to excite into a mode where they
vibrate like crazy. As a result they are nearly hopeless as a work
platform, as an access solution they are slightly more acceptable. If
you were really lightweight then they might be perfect, for normal
sized people and fatties they are not.

I still use one occasionally as it's the only ladder I can carry in
the boot of my car. But I'd *always* choose another ladder if I had a
choice.

Mine was about 40 quid from eBay, the others I've seen up to 150 quid
or more are near identical in design and 'performance'

Telescopic ladder Justin C UK diy 17 January 23rd 11 10:19 AM
draper telescopic pruner Connor T UK diy 0 October 4th 05 06:38 PM
Telescopic TV? r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 14 July 21st 05 11:01 AM
Telescopic antenna repair GT Electronics Repair 1 January 22nd 04 10:50 PM
telescopic tubing Vittorio Metalworking 3 September 15th 03 04:41 PM