Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Telescopic ladder

I'm after a telescopic ladder that'll easily fit in the boot of my car,
I've Googled and found a few but I can't tell a good one from a poor one
from the piccies. I found one on one site, and the next link was the
Chinese manufacturers page... didn't inspire confidence.

Can anyone recommend a telescopic ladder?

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 22:10:16 +0000, Justin C wrote:

I found one on one site, and the next link was the
Chinese manufacturers page... didn't inspire confidence.

Can anyone recommend a telescopic ladder?

Have a look at http://www.portalladder.com/.

The only price I was able to find online was a used one for around $1000.

I got a 3.8 m telescoping tube ladder on ebay (The one with catches on each end
of each rung, and yellow stickers on it), and it is adequate for occasional use:
flexes a bit in the thin tubes under load, and the tubes aren't as solid-feeling
as a one-piece ladder. And it needs a shoulder strap if you are carrying it more
than a bit.

Alternatives would have been a folding aluminum ladder, which would have been
much larger, sturdier, and more expensive. Or a rope ladder, or variant thereof,
which are all nasty to use.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Justin C wrote:

Can anyone recommend a telescopic ladder?

I have one of the old Telesteps ladders, originally bought for getting
access to my boat when it was on a cradle for the winter. I've had them
for a long time - at least ten yers - and they haven't let me down in
any way. THe design is the "finger crusher" one where the catches are
beneath the treads. The lowest step has two pull rings that cause the
whole ladder to collapse when pulled. Later models were "improved" to
take account of the stupid who might leave their hand between the treads
when they lowered the ladder.

Very good for a 3.3m long ladder that can be carried in the boot of a
car.

Still available on Amazon, I see:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000MWTBGA/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Steve Firth wrote:
Justin C wrote:

Can anyone recommend a telescopic ladder?

I have one of the old Telesteps ladders, originally bought for getting
access to my boat when it was on a cradle for the winter.

Steve, I need one for the same purpose.

I've had them
for a long time - at least ten yers - and they haven't let me down in
any way. THe design is the "finger crusher" one where the catches are
beneath the treads. The lowest step has two pull rings that cause the
whole ladder to collapse when pulled. Later models were "improved" to
take account of the stupid who might leave their hand between the treads
when they lowered the ladder.

Very good for a 3.3m long ladder that can be carried in the boot of a
car.

Still available on Amazon, I see:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000MWTBGA/

Thanks for the link. 3.3m is a lot of ladder. Though I can't remember
how high the deck is above the ground, I'm pretty sure it's not going to
be 3m! It seems that one of the models with the switch/lock/slider at
each rung-end are made by the same firm, but that's a lot of locking to
do each time to put it up or down.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Justin C wrote:

I have one of the old Telesteps ladders, originally bought for getting
access to my boat when it was on a cradle for the winter.

Steve, I need one for the same purpose.

They are ideal for that. I've also used it as (part of) my solution to
working on the mast solo. I extend the ladder to its full extent then
use a spare halyard to haul the ladder up the mast. Then I secure it to
the mast using the ratchet straps that are used to tie luggage down to
roof racks on cars. My mast it way taller than 3.3m so I use other
ladders on separate halyards to get to the top. This is safer IMO than
trying to get my wife to haul me up there in a bosun's chair.

[snip]

Thanks for the link. 3.3m is a lot of ladder.

Dopesn't seem that huge in practice, but it has been very handy over the
years.

Though I can't remember
how high the deck is above the ground, I'm pretty sure it's not going to
be 3m! It seems that one of the models with the switch/lock/slider at
each rung-end are made by the same firm, but that's a lot of locking to
do each time to put it up or down.

Yes, the model I highlighted is easy to use, just be careful of your
fingers. It can be lowered by holding it vertically and pulling the two
rings down. It will then collapse in a few seconds. The only drawback is
for short extensions all of the weight of the ladder must be borne aloft
since that's the only way the ladder can be extended, with unused rungs
at the top.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Steve Firth wrote:

[snip some boaty stuff]

Though I can't remember
how high the deck is above the ground, I'm pretty sure it's not going to
be 3m! It seems that one of the models with the switch/lock/slider at
each rung-end are made by the same firm, but that's a lot of locking to
do each time to put it up or down.

Yes, the model I highlighted is easy to use, just be careful of your
fingers. It can be lowered by holding it vertically and pulling the two
rings down. It will then collapse in a few seconds. The only drawback is
for short extensions all of the weight of the ladder must be borne aloft
since that's the only way the ladder can be extended, with unused rungs
at the top.

Ah. That is a negative. That would make the version with a catch on each
rung more suitable - though I should think from fully collapsed to fully
extended would not be a speedy process.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Justin C wrote:

In article , Steve Firth wrote:

[snip some boaty stuff]

Though I can't remember
how high the deck is above the ground, I'm pretty sure it's not going to
be 3m! It seems that one of the models with the switch/lock/slider at
each rung-end are made by the same firm, but that's a lot of locking to
do each time to put it up or down.

Yes, the model I highlighted is easy to use, just be careful of your
fingers. It can be lowered by holding it vertically and pulling the two
rings down. It will then collapse in a few seconds. The only drawback is
for short extensions all of the weight of the ladder must be borne aloft
since that's the only way the ladder can be extended, with unused rungs
at the top.

Ah. That is a negative. That would make the version with a catch on each
rung more suitable -

I think you will find that still has to work the same way, with unused
rungs at the top. The reason for this is that the lower sections of the
ladder are the strongest (larger tubes).

though I should think from fully collapsed to fully
extended would not be a speedy process.

Yes, I've not used one but I suspect one method may be to flick all the
catches then stand the ladder upright. Although it may be that the
catches still work the way they do on my ladder but they have just moved
them to the front face of the tread. Hence I suspect that if you stand
the ladder upright and operated one pair of catches all of the sections
above will collapse but the pair where you actuated the catches will
stay about four inches apart from the tread below.

You can only tell if you try one in RL if it is right for you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 18, 10:10*pm, Justin C wrote:
I'm after a telescopic ladder that'll easily fit in the boot of my car,
I've Googled and found a few but I can't tell a good one from a poor one
from the piccies. I found one on one site, and the next link was the
Chinese manufacturers page... didn't inspire confidence.

Can anyone recommend a telescopic ladder?

* *Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Not telescopic - but I've heard very good things about Little Giant.
At the smaller end of the range, they should be car-boot-able.

http://www.little-giant.co.uk/

http://www.little-giant.co.uk/little...cification.php

I've not used one, but when the time comes to replace my current kit
(which is getting temperamental), Little Giant will be a serious
contender.

They are reputed to be a bit heavy compared to similar sized products.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 00:45:37 -0800 (PST), " wrote:

Not telescopic - but I've heard very good things about Little Giant.
At the smaller end of the range, they should be car-boot-able.

http://www.little-giant.co.uk/

Wait for the new version :-)
"The new Pro Series will be out in 2008, featuring stronger build, ...."

--
Geo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , wrote:
On Jan 18, 10:10*pm, Justin C wrote:
I'm after a telescopic ladder that'll easily fit in the boot of my car,
I've Googled and found a few but I can't tell a good one from a poor one
from the piccies. I found one on one site, and the next link was the
Chinese manufacturers page... didn't inspire confidence.

Can anyone recommend a telescopic ladder?

* *Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Not telescopic - but I've heard very good things about Little Giant.
At the smaller end of the range, they should be car-boot-able.

http://www.little-giant.co.uk/

http://www.little-giant.co.uk/little...cification.php

Interesting product, and while it *may* be car boot-able, it's going to
depend on the car. I do, however, like the trestle option/facility, that
could be very useful (enabling me to fall from height much more
easily! - but useful all the same).

I've not used one, but when the time comes to replace my current kit
(which is getting temperamental), Little Giant will be a serious
contender.

They are reputed to be a bit heavy compared to similar sized products.

I shouldn't be carrying it far.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Justin C wrote:
I'm after a telescopic ladder that'll easily fit in the boot of my
car, I've Googled and found a few but I can't tell a good one from a
poor one from the piccies. I found one on one site, and the next link
was the Chinese manufacturers page... didn't inspire confidence.

Can anyone recommend a telescopic ladder?

Justin.

We got the Telesteps telescopic loft ladder from here, plenty other
telescopic ladders in their range and a good company to deal with:

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/telesco...ders?limit=all

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete Zahut" wrote in
news
..

We got the Telesteps telescopic loft ladder from here, plenty other
telescopic ladders in their range and a good company to deal with:

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/telesco...ders?limit=all

Thanks for the link Pete,

Do you have any reason why you chose a telescopice loft ladder rather than
a concertina type?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

CNS wrote:
"Pete Zahut" wrote in
news
.

We got the Telesteps telescopic loft ladder from here, plenty other
telescopic ladders in their range and a good company to deal with:

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/telesco...ders?limit=all

Thanks for the link Pete,

Do you have any reason why you chose a telescopice loft ladder rather
than a concertina type?

To be honest I never even considered a concertina type because a mate of
mine has the telescopic in his loft, I saw it, thought it would be ideal for
our situation, and so I bought one - and I'm very pleased with it :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2011 22:10, Justin C wrote:
I'm after a telescopic ladder that'll easily fit in the boot of my car,
I've Googled and found a few but I can't tell a good one from a poor one
from the piccies. I found one on one site, and the next link was the
Chinese manufacturers page... didn't inspire confidence.

Can anyone recommend a telescopic ladder?

Justin.

Never used one, but I was put off by someone saying that you have to be
*very* careful not to get paint, glue etc on the ladder or it will stop
telescoping.

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Scott wrote:
On 18/01/2011 22:10, Justin C wrote:
I'm after a telescopic ladder that'll easily fit in the boot of my car,
I've Googled and found a few but I can't tell a good one from a poor one
from the piccies. I found one on one site, and the next link was the
Chinese manufacturers page... didn't inspire confidence.

Can anyone recommend a telescopic ladder?

Justin.

Never used one, but I was put off by someone saying that you have to be
*very* careful not to get paint, glue etc on the ladder or it will stop
telescoping.

Interesting, very interesting. Definitely something to give some thought
to.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Justin C wrote:

Never used one, but I was put off by someone saying that you have to be
*very* careful not to get paint, glue etc on the ladder or it will stop
telescoping.

Interesting, very interesting. Definitely something to give some thought
to.

Not had a problem with mine, but then again I don't splash the paint
around.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2011 22:10, Justin C wrote:
I'm after a telescopic ladder that'll easily fit in the boot of my car,
I've Googled and found a few but I can't tell a good one from a poor one
from the piccies. I found one on one site, and the next link was the
Chinese manufacturers page... didn't inspire confidence.

Can anyone recommend a telescopic ladder?

Justin.

AFAIK Adam Wadsworth has just bought one, ping him.

Ladder Stabilizer For Extension Ladder Question Robert11 Home Repair 16 October 18th 14 01:07 PM
Telescopic track for hoist? croq Metalworking 25 August 13th 08 05:44 AM
Telescopic TV? r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 14 July 21st 05 11:01 AM
Telescopic antenna repair GT Electronics Repair 1 January 22nd 04 10:50 PM
telescopic tubing Vittorio Metalworking 3 September 15th 03 04:41 PM