Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Computer app for draing wiring

A friend needs some assistance on a 12v wiring task. I was going to do it for him, but have really locked myself down by suffering a slipped disc.

So I said I would draw it out or him, but cannot find a computer package that will allow me to draw coloured wires between connectors, and I don't have anything that will do brown or yellow if I was to it do it by hand.

Anyone got a suggestion ?

Thanks
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 02:43:46 -0800 (PST), Rob Graham
wrote:

A friend needs some assistance on a 12v wiring task. I was going to do it for him, but have really locked myself down by suffering a slipped disc.

So I said I would draw it out or him, but cannot find a computer package that will allow me to draw coloured wires between connectors, and I don't have anything that will do brown or yellow if I was to it do it by hand.

Anyone got a suggestion ?

MS Paint (assuming Windows)?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A friend needs some assistance on a 12v wiring task. I was going to do it for him, but have really locked myself down by suffering a slipped disc.

So I said I would draw it out or him, but cannot find a computer package that will allow me to draw coloured wires between connectors, and I don't have anything that will do brown or yellow if I was to it do it by hand.

Anyone got a suggestion ?

MS Paint (assuming Windows)?

Cheers, T i m

+1, I find Paint surprisingly capable and was very pleased that MS
decided to keep it available.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rob Graham wrote:
A friend needs some assistance on a 12v wiring task. I was going to do it for him, but have really locked myself down by suffering a slipped disc.

So I said I would draw it out or him, but cannot find a computer package that will allow me to draw coloured wires between connectors, and I don't have anything that will do brown or yellow if I was to it do it by hand.

Anyone got a suggestion ?

Any number of 2D drawing packages available for free. Well worth getting
to grips with one - as it can be used for pretty well any type of
technical drawing. You might also find one that has a library of the
commonly used symbols, although I've assembled my own for car stuff. I've
not really investigated all the 2D packages for Windows, as the one I use
is on a different platform. But can file share with Windows ones.

For complex wiring etc you're best to use a vector based prog which can be
enlarged with no loss of detail. Many use a simpler bitmap based drawing
which goes fuzzy as you enlarge it. And has a larger file size.

--
*I want it all and I want it delivered

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Rob Graham wrote:
[...]

The on-line draw.io is my choice for drawing wiring diagrams. I've
tried lots of others (MS Visio, dia, geda) but in the end have found
that draw.io is, quite surprisingly, the handiest of them all.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A friend needs some assistance on a 12v wiring task. I was going to do it for him, but have really locked myself down by suffering a slipped disc.

So I said I would draw it out or him, but cannot find a computer package that will allow me to draw coloured wires between connectors, and I don't have anything that will do brown or yellow if I was to it do it by hand.

Anyone got a suggestion ?

MS Paint (assuming Windows)?

Cheers, T i m

Gimp is vastly better imho
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob Graham" wrote in message
A friend needs some assistance on a 12v wiring task. I was going to do it
for him, but have really locked myself down by suffering a slipped disc.

So I said I would draw it out or him, but cannot find a computer package
that will allow me to draw coloured wires between connectors, and I don't
have anything that will do brown or yellow if I was to it do it by hand.

Anyone got a suggestion ?

Some possibles!

Cads (draw/print circuits) - http://www.sigord.co.uk/Submits/Software.htm
Circuit Diagram - http://www.circuit-diagram.org/
Circuits.io (online) - http://www.circuits.io/
EasySoft -
http://www.moeller.net/en/products_s...y/software.jsp
EEDraw - http://www.romanblack.com/eedraw.htm
FidoCadJ - http://sourceforge.net/projects/fidocadj/
-
http://davbucci.chez-alice.fr/index....nguage=English
Filter Design - http://www.aade.com/
Genie Design Studio (ffpu) - http://www.genieonline.com/?page=circuit.index
LTspice -
https://www.analog.com/en/design-cen...simulator.html
PSpice Schematics Installer -
http://www.cadence.com/products/orca...downloads.aspx
PowerVue lite - http://www.megasyssoftware.com/powervue.php
SwitcherCad (W95-XP) = LTspice
TinyCad (scematics/circuit diagrams) -
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tinycad/

--
Regards
wasbit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Here's an example of a schematic I drew using a 2d CAD prog.

https://ibb.co/QcSzgtM

It is of course a JPG of the original vector drawing. Meaning a bit fuzzy
compared to the original. And gets worse if you enlarge it, as you
probably would to examine a particular part of the drawing.

If sending it to someone who didn't have a prog to view the native file, I
send as a PDF. That retains the vector format and allows enlarging to any
size you want with no loss of detail.

For something simple, anything at all probably works. But well worth
learning how to use a prog that can do all such things, regardless of
complexity. I did use DraftSight on the PC, but that no longer has a free
version. But there are others.

--
*Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A friend needs some assistance on a 12v wiring task. I was going to do it for him, but have really locked myself down by suffering a slipped disc.

So I said I would draw it out or him, but cannot find a computer package that will allow me to draw coloured wires between connectors, and I don't have anything that will do brown or yellow if I was to it do it by hand.

Anyone got a suggestion ?

MS Paint (assuming Windows)?

Cheers, T i m

Gimp is vastly better imho

But vastly more complicated.;-(

I've installed it a few times (for me and others looking for a
Photoshop replacement) and given it a try but is just *way* too
complicated for someone not experienced with it (or Photoshop etc, or
at least not straight away.

Loads of the 'how do I do that' and 'where did that go' moments.

MS Paint is much much simpler meaning you can generally get going
pretty quickly and has the invaluable 'Undo' button if you make a
mistake.

'Of course' that also means it's limited but it's better to be able to
do something than not do anything because it's overwhelming.

If I ever need to 'knock up' a simple diagram (a picture speaks 1000
words etc) then I generally use Paint, and you can even call it up
from Irfanview (well I can here on XP anyway), good for annotating
pictures etc. No substituted for a dedicated diagram type app of
course, especially one with a good symbol library.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 12:02:01 +0000, T i m wrote:

Gimp is vastly better imho

But vastly more complicated.;-(

Indeed. There is a good book for about 17 quid, with accompanying video
tutorials. In fact, you can get it all free.

It's one of the few that relates to GIMP 2.10.

And it includes a PDF of the book.

https://youtu.be/Vdj0VfDPUX0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 02:43:46 -0800, Rob Graham wrote:

A friend needs some assistance on a 12v wiring task. I was going to do
it for him, but have really locked myself down by suffering a slipped
disc.

So I said I would draw it out or him, but cannot find a computer package
that will allow me to draw coloured wires between connectors, and I
don't have anything that will do brown or yellow if I was to it do it by
hand.

Anyone got a suggestion ?

To be honest, Word or PowerPoint will probably work fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Nov 2020 12:47:28 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 12:02:01 +0000, T i m wrote:

Gimp is vastly better imho

But vastly more complicated.;-(

Indeed. There is a good book for about 17 quid, with accompanying video
tutorials. In fact, you can get it all free.

It's one of the few that relates to GIMP 2.10.

And it includes a PDF of the book.

https://youtu.be/Vdj0VfDPUX0

Thanks for that Bob. I've bookmarked the link and downloaded the file
in case someone else asks me about Photoshop in the future (and I
normally point them towards Gimp). ;-)

I don't really have the need for photo manipulation myself, outside of
basic cropping and rotation and Irfanview does all that and more for
me.

My Dad was very much into photography (was asked to display some of
his portraits at some fancy gallery in London) but not digital,
whereas I'm really only a content / convenience / reference
photographer and only digital.

He was in it for the craft and post processing (all sorts of lights
and umbrellas / lenses etc) and I'm generally happy with what I've
taken as it is (daughter often asks me to take pics for her as she's
happy with my framing / composition).

That said, I would *like* to be able to use Gimp / Photoshop and I'm
not someone who generally learns from a manual or a video, unless
there is some sort of index so I can jump to the bit I'm specifically
interested in at that instance.

I prefer the old mentoring way ... (given the opportunity). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 20:01:27 +0000, T i m wrote:

It's one of the few that relates to GIMP 2.10.

And it includes a PDF of the book.

https://youtu.be/Vdj0VfDPUX0

Thanks for that Bob. I've bookmarked the link and downloaded the file in
case someone else asks me about Photoshop in the future (and I normally
point them towards Gimp). ;-)

I didn't mention that he includes a set of files to tailor GIMP to look
and work like PhotoShop as much as possible. And he is careful to poiint
out the differences.

I don't really have the need for photo manipulation myself, outside of
basic cropping and rotation and Irfanview does all that and more for me.

My Dad was very much into photography (was asked to display some of his
portraits at some fancy gallery in London) but not digital, whereas I'm
really only a content / convenience / reference photographer and only
digital.

I have used it for years for simple cropping, etc. However, my sister
found some old family photos which are in not-marvellous condition, so I
decided to learn. I quickly found that the UI changed quite a bit in GIMP
2.10 and most of the books are useless.

That said, I would *like* to be able to use Gimp / Photoshop and I'm not
someone who generally learns from a manual or a video, unless there is
some sort of index so I can jump to the bit I'm specifically interested
in at that instance.

The online manual gives you that. But the book shows you techniques -
quite close to mentoring. His teaching style is not what I would use
personally, and it's a bit ponderous, but I found it pretty good. It
really follows the book and demonstrates stuff.

Things like repairing photos I can now do (in a simple way). And the
other day I was given an old manual with a nice front cover, with the
owner's name etc. on it. I was able to scan it and then remove that
signature, despite it having a background.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A friend needs some assistance on a 12v wiring task. I was going to do it for him, but have really locked myself down by suffering a slipped disc.

So I said I would draw it out or him, but cannot find a computer package that will allow me to draw coloured wires between connectors, and I don't have anything that will do brown or yellow if I was to it do it by hand.

Anyone got a suggestion ?

MS Paint (assuming Windows)?

Cheers, T i m

Gimp is vastly better imho

But vastly more complicated.;-(

yup. You'd only need a small subset of its functions though

I've installed it a few times (for me and others looking for a
Photoshop replacement) and given it a try but is just *way* too
complicated for someone not experienced with it (or Photoshop etc, or
at least not straight away.

Loads of the 'how do I do that' and 'where did that go' moments.

You do need to read a tutorial to get going. From then on it's very powerful & has an ok UI.

MS Paint is much much simpler meaning you can generally get going
pretty quickly and has the invaluable 'Undo' button if you make a
mistake.

'Of course' that also means it's limited but it's better to be able to
do something than not do anything because it's overwhelming.

If I ever need to 'knock up' a simple diagram (a picture speaks 1000
words etc) then I generally use Paint, and you can even call it up
from Irfanview (well I can here on XP anyway), good for annotating
pictures etc. No substituted for a dedicated diagram type app of
course, especially one with a good symbol library.

Cheers, T i m

I've used gimp a lot for word processing. Never designed for it, or anything even close to it, but nothing else I've found does the features required or does it as easily.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Here's an example of a schematic I drew using a 2d CAD prog.

https://ibb.co/QcSzgtM

It is of course a JPG of the original vector drawing. Meaning a bit fuzzy
compared to the original. And gets worse if you enlarge it, as you
probably would to examine a particular part of the drawing.

If sending it to someone who didn't have a prog to view the native file, I
send as a PDF. That retains the vector format and allows enlarging to any
size you want with no loss of detail.

For something simple, anything at all probably works. But well worth
learning how to use a prog that can do all such things, regardless of
complexity. I did use DraftSight on the PC, but that no longer has a free
version. But there are others.

Always use GIF rather than JPEG when saving diagrams or anything that
includes text as its compression algorithm produces better results.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
Here's an example of a schematic I drew using a 2d CAD prog.

https://ibb.co/QcSzgtM

It is of course a JPG of the original vector drawing. Meaning a bit fuzzy
compared to the original. And gets worse if you enlarge it, as you
probably would to examine a particular part of the drawing.

If sending it to someone who didn't have a prog to view the native file, I
send as a PDF. That retains the vector format and allows enlarging to any
size you want with no loss of detail.

For something simple, anything at all probably works. But well worth
learning how to use a prog that can do all such things, regardless of
complexity. I did use DraftSight on the PC, but that no longer has a free
version. But there are others.

Always use GIF rather than JPEG when saving diagrams or anything that
includes text as its compression algorithm produces better results.

Far better to use a vector format. PDF will do this.

--
*There's two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Nov 2020 20:33:59 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 20:01:27 +0000, T i m wrote:

It's one of the few that relates to GIMP 2.10.

And it includes a PDF of the book.

https://youtu.be/Vdj0VfDPUX0

Thanks for that Bob. I've bookmarked the link and downloaded the file in
case someone else asks me about Photoshop in the future (and I normally
point them towards Gimp). ;-)

I didn't mention that he includes a set of files to tailor GIMP to look
and work like PhotoShop as much as possible. And he is careful to poiint
out the differences.

That's handy Bob (for those familiar with PS etc). Is it in the file I
downloaded?

snip

I have used it for years for simple cropping, etc. However, my sister
found some old family photos which are in not-marvellous condition, so I
decided to learn. I quickly found that the UI changed quite a bit in GIMP
2.10 and most of the books are useless.

Was there a 'good reason' for such radical changes would you say OOI?

That said, I would *like* to be able to use Gimp / Photoshop and I'm not
someone who generally learns from a manual or a video, unless there is
some sort of index so I can jump to the bit I'm specifically interested
in at that instance.

The online manual gives you that. But the book shows you techniques -
quite close to mentoring. His teaching style is not what I would use
personally, and it's a bit ponderous, but I found it pretty good. It
really follows the book and demonstrates stuff.

The thing is, if I was looking to 'learn something' I think it might
be something I could be more productive with, like programming (for
the Arduino etc), or be more efficient in Sketchup for my 3D printer,
as in 'making things happen', rather than just looking different.

Things like repairing photos I can now do (in a simple way).

Don't get me wrong, I would like to be able to do that 'as well', and
can often do enough for my needs in MS Paint! ;-)

And the
other day I was given an old manual with a nice front cover, with the
owner's name etc. on it. I was able to scan it and then remove that
signature, despite it having a background.

Yeah, a mate is very into Photoshop, pictures and making videos
(holiday video and stills on a DVD to give to his family etc) and some
of the stuff he's done is pretty amazing.

He showed me a picture he'd taken of a lad with a donkey cart in Goa
and when I say it I just say the picture for what it was. A sort of
straight snapshot of the lad, donkey and area. Then he showed me the
original and I then saw all the rubbish scattered about that he'd
removed. ;-) Looking back at the picture he'd 'cleaned' you (well I)
really couldn't see where the junk had been. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Of course. I meant for insertion into a presentation etc.