Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Computer app for draing wiring

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 20:01:27 +0000, T i m wrote:

It's one of the few that relates to GIMP 2.10.

And it includes a PDF of the book.

https://youtu.be/Vdj0VfDPUX0

Thanks for that Bob. I've bookmarked the link and downloaded the file in
case someone else asks me about Photoshop in the future (and I normally
point them towards Gimp). ;-)

I didn't mention that he includes a set of files to tailor GIMP to look
and work like PhotoShop as much as possible. And he is careful to poiint
out the differences.

I don't really have the need for photo manipulation myself, outside of
basic cropping and rotation and Irfanview does all that and more for me.

My Dad was very much into photography (was asked to display some of his
portraits at some fancy gallery in London) but not digital, whereas I'm
really only a content / convenience / reference photographer and only
digital.

I have used it for years for simple cropping, etc. However, my sister
found some old family photos which are in not-marvellous condition, so I
decided to learn. I quickly found that the UI changed quite a bit in GIMP
2.10 and most of the books are useless.

That said, I would *like* to be able to use Gimp / Photoshop and I'm not
someone who generally learns from a manual or a video, unless there is
some sort of index so I can jump to the bit I'm specifically interested
in at that instance.

The online manual gives you that. But the book shows you techniques -
quite close to mentoring. His teaching style is not what I would use
personally, and it's a bit ponderous, but I found it pretty good. It
really follows the book and demonstrates stuff.

Things like repairing photos I can now do (in a simple way). And the
other day I was given an old manual with a nice front cover, with the
owner's name etc. on it. I was able to scan it and then remove that
signature, despite it having a background.