Electronics (alt.electronics)

simon lloyd

Default Using a Computer PSU without a computer

Hello, I'm wanting to use a computer PSU as a PSU. The one I've just bought
doesn't work. I'm assuming that's because it needs a computer. So.... what
does the motherboard do, maybe connects the grey to the green, or the purple
to ground, or...does anyone know please??

Simon

ryan wiehle

simon lloyd wrote:
Hello, I'm wanting to use a computer PSU as a PSU. The one I've just bought
doesn't work. I'm assuming that's because it needs a computer. So.... what
does the motherboard do, maybe connects the grey to the green, or the purple
to ground, or...does anyone know please??

Simon

connect a 2A load on the 5v leads
Andy P

And also ground the green wire to turn it on. Well...possibly green.
IF it's one of them there proprietary ones it might not be the green
wire...but usually it's the green one.

ryan wiehle wrote:
simon lloyd wrote:

Hello, I'm wanting to use a computer PSU as a PSU. The one I've just
bought
doesn't work. I'm assuming that's because it needs a computer. So....
what
does the motherboard do, maybe connects the grey to the green, or the
purple
to ground, or...does anyone know please??

Simon

connect a 2A load on the 5v leads

sg

Hi Simon,

Check out the follwoing thread:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...4ab342644b2966

Rgds,
Sachin

Dwayne

"Andy P" wrote in message
And also ground the green wire to turn it on. Well...possibly green. IF
it's one of them there proprietary ones it might not be the green
wire...but usually it's the green one.

I sincerly hope you're not a bomb technician (just joking ~:-).

Dwayne