Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Computer app for draing wiring

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Rob Graham wrote:
A friend needs some assistance on a 12v wiring task. I was going to do

it for him, but have really locked myself down by suffering a slipped disc.

So I said I would draw it out or him, but cannot find a computer package

that will allow me to draw coloured wires between connectors, and I don't
have anything that will do brown or yellow if I was to it do it by hand.

Anyone got a suggestion ?

Any number of 2D drawing packages available for free. Well worth getting
to grips with one - as it can be used for pretty well any type of
technical drawing. You might also find one that has a library of the
commonly used symbols, although I've assembled my own for car stuff. I've
not really investigated all the 2D packages for Windows, as the one I use
is on a different platform. But can file share with Windows ones.

For complex wiring etc you're best to use a vector based prog which can be
enlarged with no loss of detail. Many use a simpler bitmap based drawing
which goes fuzzy as you enlarge it. And has a larger file size.

The on-line draw.io is my choice for drawing wiring diagrams. I've
tried lots of others (MS Visio, dia, geda) but in the end have found
that draw.io is, quite surprisingly, the handiest of them all.

--
Chris Green
ยท