Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Identification problem

From time to time i am requested identification paperwork. the problem
is that most companies not want you to go paperless, so how can you do this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 15:14:47 +0000, Broadback wrote:

From time to time i am requested identification paperwork. the problem
is that most companies not want you to go paperless, so how can you do
this?

Scan the appropriate documents and export to pdf format. Attach the
result to an email.

--
Mint 20.0, kernel 5.4.0-45-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pinnerite wrote:
On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 15:14:47 +0000, Broadback wrote:

From time to time i am requested identification paperwork. the problem
is that most companies not want you to go paperless, so how can you do
this?

Scan the appropriate documents and export to pdf format. Attach the
result to an email.

Often when you go paperless with a utility company say, your bills are all
available as pdfs already.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2020 15:14, Broadback wrote:
From time to time i am requested identification paperwork. the problem
is that most companies not want you to go paperless, so how can you do
this?

You can print a mini-statement in a bank branch which will be
accepted because it will have some form of authentication code
in the corner.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its an issue and precisely why I had to get a passport even though I have no
intention of going anywhere!
Scan in a passport or your driving licence?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Broadback" wrote in message
From time to time i am requested identification paperwork. the problem is
that most companies not want you to go paperless, so how can you do this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2020 20:38, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Its an issue and precisely why I had to get a passport even though I have no
intention of going anywhere!
Scan in a passport or your driving licence?

Some companies require proof of address which requires a recent utility
bill or similar. Passports don't have addresses and driving licences can
be out of date by several years. Anyone can create a convincing looking
document with a word processor.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:
On 04/11/2020 20:38, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Its an issue and precisely why I had to get a passport even though I have no
intention of going anywhere!
Scan in a passport or your driving licence?

Some companies require proof of address which requires a recent utility
bill or similar. Passports don't have addresses and driving licences can
be out of date by several years.

Which is Illegal and carries a £1000 penalty.

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2020 08:06, Tim+ wrote:
Max Demian wrote:
On 04/11/2020 20:38, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Its an issue and precisely why I had to get a passport even though I have no
intention of going anywhere!
Scan in a passport or your driving licence?

Some companies require proof of address which requires a recent utility
bill or similar. Passports don't have addresses and driving licences can
be out of date by several years.

Which is Illegal and carries a £1000 penalty.

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

Tim

Lots of people are assuming that there is a scanner available, there is
not. and lockdown has closed out local libraries wheich makes it
difficult getting a document sacanned.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

Lots of people are assuming that there is a scanner available, there is not

Mobile phone cameras are plenty good enough to "scan" an A4 sheet, there
are apps to de-skew/de-speckle and convert multiple pages to a single PDF.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2020 22:58, Max Demian wrote:
On 04/11/2020 20:38, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Its an issue and precisely why I had to get a passport even though I
have no
intention of going anywhere!
Â* Scan in a passport or your driving licence?

Some companies require proof of address which requires a recent utility
bill or similar. Passports don't have addresses and driving licences can
be out of date by several years. Anyone can create a convincing looking
document with a word processor.

Its worse. I dont have paper bank statements, but downloadable PDFs. I
asked if those would do. Mo, they must be on paper. Could I scan the
paper and email that? Yes, that was all right...

So I sent the pdf anyway.

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 5 November 2020 08:06:26 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
Some companies require proof of address which requires a recent utility
bill or similar. Passports don't have addresses and driving licences can
be out of date by several years.

Which is Illegal and carries a £1000 penalty.
https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

I have notified DVLA of change of address, and have the return letter to prove it.

They haven't updated my licence though as the photo wasn't good enough.

Suits me, I don't drive anyway.

Council Tax bill seems to be the most reliable paper bill still available, but it's only annual.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 16:28:20 +0000, Andrew wrote:

From time to time i am requested identification paperwork. the

problem
is that most companies not want you to go paperless, so how can

you do
this?

It's better than it was as companies are realising that many people
are now "paperless". I do like the contradiction in:

"I'm paperless, can I email a .pdf as downloaded from xyx?."
"No."
"OK can I print out that downloaded .pdf, scan/photgraph it and email
that image?"
"Yes."

You can print a mini-statement in a bank branch ...

If you have a bank branch any where near you. Our nearest are twenty
plus miles away. Would that be an "essential" journey?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2020 10:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 16:28:20 +0000, Andrew wrote:

From time to time i am requested identification paperwork. the

problem
is that most companies not want you to go paperless, so how can

you do
this?

It's better than it was as companies are realising that many people
are now "paperless". I do like the contradiction in:

"I'm paperless, can I email a .pdf as downloaded from xyx?."
"No."
"OK can I print out that downloaded .pdf, scan/photgraph it and email
that image?"
"Yes."

You can print a mini-statement in a bank branch ...

If you have a bank branch any where near you. Our nearest are twenty
plus miles away. Would that be an "essential" journey?

Yet again, it doesn't have to be "essential". The question is whether
it is "reasonably necessary". Whether that test is met depends on why
you need the ID now.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2020 09:42, wrote:
On Thursday, 5 November 2020 08:06:26 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
Some companies require proof of address which requires a recent utility
bill or similar. Passports don't have addresses and driving licences can
be out of date by several years.

Which is Illegal and carries a £1000 penalty.
https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

I have notified DVLA of change of address, and have the return letter to prove it.

They haven't updated my licence though as the photo wasn't good enough.

Suits me, I don't drive anyway.

Council Tax bill seems to be the most reliable paper bill still available, but it's only annual.

Owain

Like Andy that's the only one I still have on paper, and it's what I use
for ID on tips to the trip

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
From time to time i am requested identification paperwork. the problem
is that most companies not want you to go paperless, so how can you do this?

I've done a few click and collect at Screwfix. Not once been asked for ID
- just show them my phone with the SMS order number on it and tell them my
surname.

Anywhere else, a photo driving licence has been fine. Or a credit card.

--
*Pride is what we have. Vanity is what others have.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

similarly they used to insist on seeing debit card you'd paid with
online, not any more

They have in the past asked that I put the card used for the order in
the PDQ machine to verify the pin to prove the card used was mine.

Though only one "confirmation" per day, if you went back for an extra
item you were still good from the till having seen your card earlier ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Max Demian wrote:
On 04/11/2020 20:38, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Its an issue and precisely why I had to get a passport even though I
have no
intention of going anywhere!
Scan in a passport or your driving licence?

Some companies require proof of address which requires a recent utility
bill or similar. Passports don't have addresses and driving licences can
be out of date by several years.

Which is Illegal and carries a £1000 penalty.

only if you actually want to use it as a driving licence

If you're just using it as ID. there's no fine for not updating your
address - though obviously using it to validate a fraudulent address would
be a different form of illegal

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 08:55:25 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Some companies require proof of address which requires a recent utility
bill or similar. Passports don't have addresses and driving licences can
be out of date by several years. Anyone can create a convincing looking
document with a word processor.

Its worse. I dont have paper bank statements, but downloadable PDFs. I
asked if those would do. Mo, they must be on paper. Could I scan the
paper and email that? Yes, that was all right...

So I sent the pdf anyway.

The National Library of Wales (Aberystwyth) rejected a pdf order for a
photocopy because I'd typed my name in the signature space, so I
opened the document in a pdf editor [1] and pasted in a jpg of my
signature, resized to suit, and sent it back, whereupon it was
accepted. That was for something with a value of less than £10 - I'd
just renewed my passport with less effort.
[1] I use Nitro but there are others.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I thought school kids o buses were supposed to wear masks?

In article ,
michael adams wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 07/11/2020 12:29, Scott wrote:

It is not as clear cut as you make out. There is an exemption for
medical reasons. GPs are not issuing exemption certificates, so
the process is one of self-certification. I believe psychological
reasons count also. Nicola (*) has reminded people of the need to
be aware that some people cannot wear face coverings.

If the policy was no mask - no service these self diagnosed
hypochondriacs and nutters would soon learn how to wear a mask!

Out of interest, what condition would make it impossible to wear a
mask - yet be able to use buses and go shopping?

Some people with breathing difficulties such as asthma, claim to
experience difficulties when wearing face masks. But fortunately there
are plenty of experts around to reassure them that this can't possibly
be the case and to pull themselves together.

If they have asthma etc making it impossible to wear a mask, is it also
impossible for them to be carriers of Covid? Since the idea of a mask is
to help prevent infecting others?

And if that doesn't work they can at least count on the sympathy of
members of the public.

michael adams

*Broken pencils are pointless.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
[...]

No. But its hardly their fault that the Govt slogan is the wrong
way round, is it ? Instead of Hands, Face, Space it should be Space,
Face, Hands. If you're already six feet away then the mask is of
lesser importance. But of course that doesn't rhyme, so its no good !

The first priority in all pandemics and similar emergencies according
to Boris and his "advisers" apparently, is to have slogans that rhyme.
Everything else takes second place

Whereas if they maintain a distance of 6 ft from others, as they should
be doing in the first place, then there should be no problem.

But rather than blame Boris, its always easier to blame the victim
isn't it ? I somehow doubt Streater or Turnip could have made a better
job of it, to be quite honest.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
[...]

As an aside, my neighbour was just under 3 when the pandemic started.
His mother told him to keep 2 metres away because of the pandemic.
'That's 6 feet' he replied.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
[...]

Aaahhh. He probably saw that on the TV. "For our older viewers that would
be six feet".

It's a shame so very few of the joggers running past people out for a
quiet walk in the park, have ever heard of six feet, 2 metres, or even
three feet, for that matter. Endorphin-addicted self-righteous
shorts-wearing aerosol-spewing scumbags, the lot of them.
But apart from that...

michael adams