Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Johnson[_4_] Peter Johnson[_4_] is offline

Default Identification problem

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 08:55:25 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Some companies require proof of address which requires a recent utility
bill or similar. Passports don't have addresses and driving licences can
be out of date by several years. Anyone can create a convincing looking
document with a word processor.

Its worse. I dont have paper bank statements, but downloadable PDFs. I
asked if those would do. Mo, they must be on paper. Could I scan the
paper and email that? Yes, that was all right...

So I sent the pdf anyway.

The National Library of Wales (Aberystwyth) rejected a pdf order for a
photocopy because I'd typed my name in the signature space, so I
opened the document in a pdf editor [1] and pasted in a jpg of my
signature, resized to suit, and sent it back, whereupon it was
accepted. That was for something with a value of less than £10 - I'd
just renewed my passport with less effort.
[1] I use Nitro but there are others.