Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas Safe Engineer

You may find this amusing .. (or at least odd)

I took out a Boiler service contract with a UK company - YourRepair
Running for a couple of months - get a call
"I'm a Gas safe Engineer and been requested by YourRepair to come and do
your annual service, I'm in the area tomorrow - is tomorrow 12-1300 OK"

I agree

On the day she calls to advise she will be with me in 30 mins, arrives
(first time there has been a female gas engineer) shows her Gas Safe ID,
explains how she will work under COVID-19 safe practises.

Then for about an Hr carries out service, exactly as expected, clean,
inspect, CO test, meter consumption test etc.
Shows me all the details logged into Laptop ... all done and departs.

Several days later I get an intermittent 'loud bang' on start up, not
every time but 1 in 4 or 5 starts. Often called Explosive Ignition.

I log a fault call with YourRepair (its done on web) explain this
happened not long after service visit, but may be unrelated, and get a
job reference.
Then couple of Hrs later I get an email - they had not carried out
service so job cancelled.
I called them, and they deny sending an Engineer to carry out service -
I try to be logical and advise I don't get random GasSafe Engineers
coming to my house and carrying out a service for free.

Did I have her name - no I did not record it, did I have paperwork... no
as she entered it all on her Laptop.

It takes a lot of calls before they finally agree to send someone ......

How bizarre is this !

I have reached out to GasSafe register to see if they can help identify
her, as she did advise where she lived ..... so still waiting on reply
on this.

Maybe this is a reverse SCAM .... people come and do work on your
boiler, and don't want paying for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2020 13:22, rick wrote:
You may find this amusing .. (or at least odd)

I took out a Boiler service contract with a UK company - YourRepair
Running for a couple of months - get a call
"I'm a Gas safe Engineer and been requested by YourRepair to come and do
your annual service, I'm in the area tomorrow -Â* is tomorrow 12-1300 OK"

I agree

On the day she calls to advise she will be with me in 30 mins, arrives
(first time there has been a female gas engineer) shows her Gas Safe ID,
explains how she will work under COVID-19 safe practises.

Then for about an Hr carries out service, exactly as expected, clean,
inspect, CO test, meter consumption testÂ* etc.
Shows me all the details logged into Laptop ... all done and departs.

Several days later I get an intermittent 'loud bang' on start up, not
every time but 1 in 4 or 5 starts.Â*Â* Often called Explosive Ignition.

I log a fault call with YourRepairÂ* (its done on web) explain this
[...]

Failed assassination attempt.
I want a refund
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rick" wrote in message
[...]

She doesn't work for Your Repair don't forget,.She's presumably self employed
She'd "been requested" by them to do the service. Maybe she mostly works
for other contractors and this was her first job for Your Repair. And she didn't
follow the correct procedure which differs from the others after completeing
the job.

This is probably a busy time of year for boliler repairs and servicing
and she herself may not even have realised her mistake until much later.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2020 13:22, rick wrote:
[...]

Like negative interest rates you mean?, where people could be
paid to borrow money :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2020 13:22, rick wrote:

Maybe this is a reverse SCAM .... people come and do work on your
boiler, and don't want paying for it.

You get a cold call from some anonymous person "claiming" to be from a
service organisation.

You then let someone into your home and later find out that the service
organisation have no record of service being performed.

You cannot even guess what the scam is?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rick wrote:
Maybe this is a reverse SCAM .... people come and do work on your
boiler, and don't want paying for it.

Given your boiler has now broken, that could be the scam.

--
*Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 02/11/2020 13:22, rick wrote:

Maybe this is a reverse SCAM .... people come and do work on your boiler, and don't
want paying for it.

You get a cold call from some anonymous person "claiming" to be from a service
organisation.

Who's cold calling ? The OP first contacted "YourRepair" via their website
which for all I know, depite all the impressive looking photos maybe, could
be being run from somebody's spare bedroom.

"YourRepair" contacted one of the Gas Safe engineers they promised
they could get work for, maybe at 25% commission, The gas engineer went
to the OP's house and announced they'd been requested by "YourRepair" to
come and do his annual service,

What are you suggesting ? That the Gas Safe engineer is tapping "YourRepair"'s
phone ?

What's interesting though, is that "YourRepair" don't seem to have remebered that
the OP had contacted them in the first place. They knew or at least thought
they knew, that no service had been carried out. But not that.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:

On the day she calls to advise she will be with me in 30 mins

No call history on phone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2020 13:22, rick wrote:
[...]

just had two airbags replaced and the did a full check over of
everything on the car with a video... washed and valeted the car and
reset the clock to GMT and left a new car smell air freshener.....all
free and not asked for...it is catching
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 02/11/2020 13:22, rick wrote:
You may find this amusing .. (or at least odd)

I took out a Boiler service contract with a UK company - YourRepair
Running for a couple of months - get a call
"I'm a Gas safe Engineer and been requested by YourRepair to come and do
your annual service, I'm in the area tomorrow -Â* is tomorrow 12-1300 OK"

I agree

On the day she calls

So you let a woman service your gas boiler?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2020 18:26, ARW wrote:
On 02/11/2020 13:22, rick wrote:
You may find this amusing .. (or at least odd)

I took out a Boiler service contract with a UK company - YourRepair
Running for a couple of months - get a call
"I'm a Gas safe Engineer and been requested by YourRepair to come and
do your annual service, I'm in the area tomorrow -Â* is tomorrow
12-1300 OK"

I agree

On the day she calls

So you let a woman service your gas boiler?

It's not that unusual these days.

I recently had a new boiler fitted, the team arrived on the day, one
male engineer and one female. The female did most of the work!

The boiler works fine.(so far)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that ARW formulated :
So you let a woman service your gas boiler?

I think some women can be just as practical and capable as men, its
just their upbringing that makes the difference and they way they are
not expected to do practical work that holds them back. I have met many
useless males, when it comes to anything practical.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2020 16:32, michael adams wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 02/11/2020 13:22, rick wrote:

[...]

It's very strange. The only way to contact the company seems to be
through their 0330 number or by *opening an account" (they have a
registered company address too, and on the Trustpilot site there is an
email address given in one of the YourRepair replies to a complaint).
Now if the OP had a contract, i /assume/ that was set up via an account.
So how could YourRepair not know who he was?

Interesting also that on their "Faqs" page it states:

"Are YourRepair engineers vetted and approved?

Absolutely, our engineers are vetted to ensure the highest possible
standards, we:

- Audit and inspect jobs upon completion..."

They don't seem to have audited that job "upon completion".

Or is this the curse of an "electronic" society where no physical
records exist, and if something goes wrong, it's lost in cyberspace?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
It happens that ARW formulated :
So you let a woman service your gas boiler?

I think some women can be just as practical and capable as men, its just their
upbringing that makes the difference and they way they are not expected to do practical
work that holds them back. I have met many useless males, when it comes to anything
practical.

The Queen serviced Army Lorries during the war, reputedly. No doubt
she'd no longer be up to the heavy work, but she could probably
still drive the van.

michael adams

All stand

https://mashable.com/2015/04/22/quee...y/?europe=true

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams used his keyboard to write :
The Queen serviced Army Lorries during the war, reputedly.

I have seen that said, but I would guess that would be mostly a story
for the press and the public at the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman presented the following explanation :
They don't seem to have audited that job "upon completion".

Or is this the curse of an "electronic" society where no physical records
exist, and if something goes wrong, it's lost in cyberspace?

So very easy and low cost, to simply set up a website offering such
services, but not have any engineers on the books. Not difficult to
just seek out engineers within range of an address, to call them, have
them agree they pay you a percentage for the lead you provide.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 November 2020 19:41:30 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:

It's very strange. The only way to contact the company seems to be
through their 0330 number or by *opening an account" (they have a

What's wrong with an 0330 number? Its just an ordinary standard rate
number like any other but not associated with a particular geographic
area.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in message
michael adams used his keyboard to write :
The Queen serviced Army Lorries during the war, reputedly.

I have seen that said, but I would guess that would be mostly a story for
the press and the public at the time.

It's a true story. Plenty of women did stuff like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
michael adams used his keyboard to write :
The Queen serviced Army Lorries during the war, reputedly.

I have seen that said, but I would guess that would be mostly a story for the press and
the public at the time.

There were plenty of pictures of her in action further down the
page on the link I posted. With Margaret and the Queen Mum
( A Viz favourite) looking on. Of the two Elizabeth was always
the more serious minded. I had an uncle who served in the Coldstream
Guards at Windsor and that was at least what he said. That Margaret
would joke with the guardsmen but never Elizabeth. Who took her sense
of duty directly from her father, George VI.

https://mashable.com/2015/04/22/quee...y/?europe=true

michael adams

..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, 2 November 2020 19:41:30 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:

It's very strange. The only way to contact the company seems to be
through their 0330 number or by *opening an account" (they have a

What's wrong with an 0330 number? Its just an ordinary standard rate
number like any other but not associated with a particular geographic
area.

But in the absence of any other information, it serves to further conceal
their location. While their "Registered Office" could be an accommodation
address intended solely for the receipt and forwarding of mail.
Which could be anywhere - should anyone be bothered to look.
An impressive office block in the centre of town, or above a
newsagents in a village.

Harry Bloomfield supplied the answer.

Formerly I suggested that they were working in a back bedroom and had
already compiled their list of engineers. But of course, as Harry pointed
out, there's no need for this at all. All they need do is feed the
addresses of potential customers into the Gas Safe Register and there
you go. Apparently I'm surrounded by them; as is anyone living in a town
most likely. And there are plenty of other sites for other trades
Mybuilder, Checkatrade etc. etc. All of whom already come highly
recommended. Naturally.

So seemingly all you need is a good website, merchant accreditation from CC
card providers and a fast broadband connection along with some fake reviews
maybe. And located almost anywhere - the UK is your oyster.

However the big problem with this as with almost all such surefire
get rich quick schemes is actually attracting customers.
Letting them know you exist. Previously you'd have had to
advertise which potentially could cost shedloads to be effective
now in additions/instead you need to achieve a high ranking on
Google and other search engines; while competing with maybe hundreds
of others trying to achieve exactly the same objective.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 November 2020 19:20:49 UTC, wrote:
I have met many useless males, when it comes to anything practical.

I remember offering to draw a diagram of a changeover switch for a doorbell.

For a time-served industrial electrician.

And don't get me started on academics ... although I do know a couple of male PhDs who can cook and put up shelves.

Still, for the moment, we've got all the tadpoles so we don't need to actually be good at anything.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 November 2020 20:07:37 UTC, michael adams wrote:
The Queen serviced Army Lorries during the war, reputedly. No doubt
she'd no longer be up to the heavy work, but she could probably
still drive the van.

She terrified the King of Saudi Arabia in 2003 when she drove him around one of her estates.

Apparenbtly she likes driving rather fast and as women weren't allowed to drive in Saudi at the time she probably din't slow down especially for him.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:

in the absence of any other information, it serves to further conceal
their location. While their "Registered Office" could be an accommodation
address intended solely for the receipt and forwarding of mail.

It wouldn't be unusual if it was the address of their accountants, there
just happens to be such a firm "RL Accountancy" on the business park
YourCare uses as their registered address ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2020 09:06, michael adams wrote:
wrote in message
On Monday, 2 November 2020 19:41:30 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:

It's very strange. The only way to contact the company seems to be
through their 0330 number or by *opening an account" (they have a

What's wrong with an 0330 number? Its just an ordinary standard rate
number like any other but not associated with a particular geographic
area.

But in the absence of any other information, it serves to further conceal
their location.

But it's quite easy to have a phone number with an area code in a
totally different part of the country from where you actually are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, 2 November 2020 19:41:30 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:

It's very strange. The only way to contact the company seems to be
through their 0330 number or by *opening an account" (they have a
What's wrong with an 0330 number? Its just an ordinary standard rate
number like any other but not associated with a particular geographic
area.

But in the absence of any other information, it serves to further conceal
their location.

But it's quite easy to have a phone number with an area code in a totally different
part of the country from where you actually are.

But why would you want an area code anywhere ? If you choose an area code
in the SE then this will put off people in the SW, Midlands, NW, NE Scotland
Wales etc

Whatever area you choose, will put off people living elsewhere

Whereas by using 0330 you're not putting anyone off but marketing
yourself to the whole of the UK.

michaael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
The Queen serviced Army Lorries during the war, reputedly. No doubt
she'd no longer be up to the heavy work, but she could probably
still drive the van.

I've (as a kid) certainly seen her driving a Land Rover at Balmoral. ISTR
she rather liked the early versions long after they were updated.

--
*Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, 2 November 2020 19:41:30 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:

It's very strange. The only way to contact the company seems to be
through their 0330 number or by *opening an account" (they have a

What's wrong with an 0330 number? Its just an ordinary standard rate
number like any other but not associated with a particular geographic
area.

But in the absence of any other information, it serves to further conceal
their location. While their "Registered Office" could be an accommodation
address intended solely for the receipt and forwarding of mail.
Which could be anywhere - should anyone be bothered to look.
An impressive office block in the centre of town, or above a
newsagents in a village.

Its most likely the address of their accountants. That way companies
house communications go directly to them.

[...]

While uniformed conjecture can be fun, it does tend to draw one to less
than accurate conclusions.

Not wishing to spoil anyone's cynicism party, but it's worth noting its
not difficult to go look up the actual data instead.

A whois record check on the domain will find it was registered in 2013.

If you look at the bottom of their web page you will find the registered
company details, so can then go look them up on the companies house web
site. At which point you will find they have made up accounts and a 5
year trading history, with a move to profit in about 2017, and
consistent growth over the last couple of trading years. The average
number of employees for the 2017-18 year was 9, and last year that had
risen to 16. So it seems like its going to be getting rather cosy in
that back bedroom.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 14:14:59 +1100, "Fred" wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in message
michael adams used his keyboard to write :
The Queen serviced Army Lorries during the war, reputedly.

I have seen that said, but I would guess that would be mostly a story for
the press and the public at the time.

It's a true story. Plenty of women did stuff like that.

"At the age of 19, Princess Elizabeth joined the Auxiliary Territorial
Service (ATS). After joining, she trained as a driver and mechanic
with the rank of Second Subaltern. Five months later she was promoted
to Junior Commander, which was the equivalent of Captain."

from https://tinyurl.com/yxvn8ke8

So 5 months to learn how to and service trucks? Before moving into
management?

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
michael adams wrote:
The Queen serviced Army Lorries during the war, reputedly. No doubt
she'd no longer be up to the heavy work, but she could probably
still drive the van.

I've (as a kid) certainly seen her driving a Land Rover at Balmoral. ISTR
she rather liked the early versions long after they were updated.

and I've passed her on the A939, the LR coming towards me pulled into
a passing place,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 November 2020 20:07:37 UTC, michael adams wrote:
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
It happens that ARW formulated :
So you let a woman service your gas boiler?

I think some women can be just as practical and capable as men, its just their
upbringing that makes the difference and they way they are not expected to do practical
work that holds them back. I have met many useless males, when it comes to anything
practical.

The Queen serviced Army Lorries during the war, reputedly. No doubt
she'd no longer be up to the heavy work, but she could probably
still drive the van.

michael adams

All stand

https://mashable.com/2015/04/22/quee...y/?europe=true

Might be many of the same photos but a bit more text he

https://www.insider.com/photos-queen...gham-palace-15

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No its inept administration. I've seen it on Virgin Media, BT, and many
others. We used to call it the left hand not knowing what the right hand is
doing, but it goes one stage further, the people who cocked up don't believe
the customer actually knows more than they do.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"rick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2020 10:45:12 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
The Queen serviced Army Lorries during the war, reputedly. No doubt
she'd no longer be up to the heavy work, but she could probably still
drive the van.

I've (as a kid) certainly seen her driving a Land Rover at Balmoral.
ISTR she rather liked the early versions long after they were updated.

With no synchro on first and second!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2020 15:20, Andrew wrote:

Maybe this is a reverse SCAM .... people come and do work on your
boiler, and don't want paying for it.

Like negative interest rates you mean?, where people could be
paid to borrow money :-)

I did think it a bit like the Monty Python Sketch on the Doug & Dinsdale
the Piranha Brothers, where they run a protection scheme threatening not
to beat people up if they paid them money.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9k6__UFF18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rick wrote:
Maybe this is a reverse SCAM .... people come and do work on your
boiler, and don't want paying for it.

Given your boiler has now broken, that could be the scam.

They have now sent an engineer, but adamant they did not send the one
who did the service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 02/11/2020 13:22, rick wrote:

[...]

I have a valid contract with "Your Repair" so when I got a call form a
person who advises they are a GasSafe Engineer wanting to come and carry
out service on behalf of "Your Repair" I had no alarm bills ring.

When she turned up and showed her GasSafe photo ID card, explained how
she would work complying with Covid-19 and then carried out service as
per normal ..... I did not think there were any issues.
Especially when she entered all details in her laptop, and even went
through the entries with me.

"Your Repair" still insist they did not send her, so maybe random
Engineers carrying out free service calls is the new thing.

I have tried to track her down with GasSafe register, but they advise
they cannot tell me any 'female' engineer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2020 18:26, ARW wrote:
On 02/11/2020 13:22, rick wrote:
You may find this amusing .. (or at least odd)

I took out a Boiler service contract with a UK company - YourRepair
Running for a couple of months - get a call
"I'm a Gas safe Engineer and been requested by YourRepair to come and
do your annual service, I'm in the area tomorrow -Â* is tomorrow
12-1300 OK"

I agree

On the day she calls

So you let a woman service your gas boiler?

No issue with that, 2 weeks ago BT sent a female broadband engineer -
first time that had happened and she proved very knowledgeable and
proficient.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2020 20:16, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
michael adams used his keyboard to write :
The Queen serviced Army Lorries during the war, reputedly.

I have seen that said, but I would guess that would be mostly a story
for the press and the public at the time.

Prince Andrew has reportedly done a fair bit of servicing
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Since British Gas, SSE/Swalec & Corgi hiked their prices so high, there
are several companies offering this 'repair contract' service.
They don't own engineers, no apprentices, no spares, no fleet of vans,
no insurance, pension or holidays ..... they can offer cover using
sub-concentrator resource much cheaper
YourRepair, 24/7 Home Rescue, Hometree etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2020 10:49, John Rumm wrote:

If you look at the bottom of their web page you will find the registered
company details, so can then go look them up on the companies house web
site. At which point you will find they have made up accounts and a 5
year trading history, with a move to profit in about 2017, and
consistent growth over the last couple of trading years. The average
number of employees for the 2017-18 year was 9, and last year that had
risen to 16. So it seems like its going to be getting rather cosy in
that back bedroom.

I did look at comparison sites and review sites before going to them, it
was an informed decision (on my part anyway)