Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Android 7.1 nougat

I have rooted my old NOOK HD+ 32Gb and installed a version of Android
7.1 Nougat on it, now I am struggling to achieve the unlock action...

I needed an Android device, to enable me to run an Android only app.

I wonder if anyone is familiar with the unlock action necessary? I am
new to Android.

When locked, it shows a tiny padlock in a circle, at the lower centre
of the screen. Tap the padlock and it suggests 'swipe upwords to
unlock' - I am finding it quite a tricky exercise to get it to then
unlock, usually it takes me several attempts, so I'm wondering if maybe
I'm using the wrong technique. What seems to work most often, is a very
rapid swipe from the bottom to the top of the touchscreen.

Perhaps it's the implementation of Android combined with the NOOK?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

When locked, it shows a tiny padlock in a circle, at the lower centre of
the screen.

Normally just press over the icon, continue pressing and swipe it
upwards ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 12:00:53 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

When locked, it shows a tiny padlock in a circle, at the lower centre
of the screen. Tap the padlock and it suggests 'swipe upwords to
unlock' - I am finding it quite a tricky exercise to get it to then
unlock, usually it takes me several attempts, so I'm wondering if maybe
I'm using the wrong technique. What seems to work most often, is a very
rapid swipe from the bottom to the top of the touchscreen.

Technique I suspect. Start from the circled padlock swipe up,
maintianing finger contact with screen to somewhere over half way up?
"Very rapid" doesn't sound right, try slowing it down, take a gentle
1/2 to 1 second?

My Android 7.1.2 (Linage) on a Samsung SIII Mini just needs a short
quickish swipe up from the padlock to bring up the pattern
recognition unlock screen. But is also happy with a longer slow swipe
as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 14/10/2020, Dave Liquorice supposed :
My Android 7.1.2 (Linage) on a Samsung SIII Mini just needs a short
quickish swipe up from the padlock to bring up the pattern
recognition unlock screen. But is also happy with a longer slow swipe
as well.

I tried that, no luck at all - with a slow swipe up, the display of
time and date gradually reduce in size, so it must be seeing my swipe.
I have tried circles, left swipes, right swipes. The only way I can get
it to unlock, is with the high speed bottom to top, or double clicking
a notification, when there is one on the screen.

I guess it must be the implementation combined with the slightly weird
NOOK hardware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 13:24:09 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

My Android 7.1.2 (Linage) on a Samsung SIII Mini just needs a

short
quickish swipe up from the padlock to bring up the pattern
recognition unlock screen. But is also happy with a longer slow

swipe
as well.

I tried that, no luck at all - with a slow swipe up, the display of
time and date gradually reduce in size, so it must be seeing my swipe.

That's what happens as I swipe up. What happens with a straight
gentle swipe up that goes goes off the top of the screen? Is there
any other unlock method required such as a PIN or pattern? I have a
pattern set.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 14/10/2020, Dave Liquorice supposed :
That's what happens as I swipe up. What happens with a straight
gentle swipe up that goes goes off the top of the screen? Is there
any other unlock method required such as a PIN or pattern? I have a
pattern set.

Its default was just the swip to unlock, I added the pin thinking it
might avoid the swipe, but it didn't. Whether it needs or doesn't need
the pin to unlock, the swipe remains tricky to get past.

I'm not sure what the pattern method is, but the NOOK lacks a camera.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2020 12:00, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have rooted my old NOOK HD+ 32Gb and installed a version of Android
7.1 Nougat on it, now I am struggling to achieve the unlock action...

I needed an Android device, to enable me to run an Android only app.

I wonder if anyone is familiar with the unlock action necessary? I am
new to Android.

When locked, it shows a tiny padlock in a circle, at the lower centre of
the screen. Tap the padlock and it suggests 'swipe upwords to unlock' -
I am finding it quite a tricky exercise to get it to then unlock,
usually it takes me several attempts, so I'm wondering if maybe I'm
using the wrong technique. What seems to work most often, is a very
rapid swipe from the bottom to the top of the touchscreen.

Perhaps it's the implementation of Android combined with the NOOK?

It's all in the wrist action and you're doing it wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2020 12:00, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have rooted my old NOOK HD+ 32Gb and installed a version of Android
7.1 Nougat on it, now I am struggling to achieve the unlock action...

I needed an Android device, to enable me to run an Android only app.

I wonder if anyone is familiar with the unlock action necessary? I am
new to Android.

When locked, it shows a tiny padlock in a circle, at the lower centre of
the screen. Tap the padlock and it suggests 'swipe upwords to unlock' -
I am finding it quite a tricky exercise to get it to then unlock,
usually it takes me several attempts, so I'm wondering if maybe I'm
using the wrong technique. What seems to work most often, is a very
rapid swipe from the bottom to the top of the touchscreen.

Perhaps it's the implementation of Android combined with the NOOK?

No. Youch screen technology is in fact simply utter ****

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
[...]

especially for yyping...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----