Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT android 2.2 7" netbook £99

Any point for £99?

7 inch netbook. Display: 7 Lcd Tft - maximum resolution 800 x 480. Storage drive type: 4gb flash. System ram: 256mb. Operating System: google android 2.2. Processor: via 8650 processor 800mhz arm9. Sd card slot - expandable up to 32gb. Built in wi-fi 802.11 B/G/N. Ethernet port. 3 usb 2.0 ports. 1x earphone port. 1x microphone port. Speaker output 2 x 1w. Battery: 7.4v 2400 mah polymer battery.

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 24/11/2012 11:06, Jim K wrote:
Any point for £99?

7 inch netbook. Display: 7 Lcd Tft - maximum resolution 800 x 480. Storage drive type: 4gb flash. System ram: 256mb. Operating System: google android 2.2. Processor: via 8650 processor 800mhz arm9. Sd card slot - expandable up to 32gb. Built in wi-fi 802.11 B/G/N. Ethernet port. 3 usb 2.0 ports. 1x earphone port. 1x microphone port. Speaker output 2 x 1w. Battery: 7.4v 2400 mah polymer battery.

Cheers
Jim K

I think you can get much more up to date devices for the money. Look on
HUKD.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:37:00 AM UTC, GB wrote:
On 24/11/2012 11:06, Jim K wrote:

Any point for £99?

7 inch netbook. Display: 7 Lcd Tft - maximum resolution 800 x 480. Storage drive type: 4gb flash. System ram: 256mb. Operating System: google android 2.2. Processor: via 8650 processor 800mhz arm9. Sd card slot - expandable up to 32gb. Built in wi-fi 802.11 B/G/N. Ethernet port. 3 usb 2.0 ports. 1x earphone port. 1x microphone port. Speaker output 2 x 1w. Battery: 7.4v 2400 mah polymer battery.

Cheers

Jim K

I think you can get much more up to date devices for the money. Look on

HUKD.

Check out Maplins good range of reasonably priced Android devices with much more recent version of Android OS
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

7 inch netbook. Display: 7 Lcd Tft - maximum resolution 800 x 480.

800x480 is a bit low dpi for 7" nowadays, that's the resolution of 3
year old sub-4" phones.

Storage drive type: 4gb flash. System ram: 256mb.

Both are a bit low

Operating System:
google android 2.2.

Old hat, wouldn't buy anything that comes with less than 4.0 ICS and a
promise of an upgrade to 4.1 or 4.2 JB.

Processor: via 8650 processor 800mhz arm9.

single core? slower than average

Sd card slot - expandable up to 32gb.

A bonus, several manufacturers now doing away with expandable storage

Built in wi-fi 802.11 B/G/N.

Standard

Ethernet port. 3 usb 2.0 ports. 1x earphone port. 1x microphone port.

Larger than usual assortment, normally you'd get 1x microUSB and a
headphone socket.

Speaker output 2 x 1w.

Not all tablets have stereo speakers

Battery: 7.4v 2400 mah polymer battery.

Quite good considering the slower CPU/smallish screen, but all-in-all in
it'll start to feel old very quickly, compared with e.g.

https://play.google.com/store/device...dware-variants

OK, it has a 60% higher price, but

pros
----
4x (or 8x) the storage
4x the RAM
4x the CPUs
2.5x the pixels
2.5 year newer OS

cons
----
doesn't have larger battery capacity than the no-name
no SD slot (can use USB OTG memory cards if you root it)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 24, 11:06*am, Jim K wrote:
Any point for £99?

*7 inch netbook. Display: 7 Lcd Tft - maximum resolution 800 x 480. Storage drive type: 4gb flash. System ram: 256mb. Operating System: google android 2.2. Processor: via 8650 processor 800mhz arm9. Sd card slot - expandable up to 32gb. Built in wi-fi 802.11 B/G/N. Ethernet port. 3 usb 2.0 ports.. 1x earphone port. 1x microphone port. Speaker output 2 x 1w. Battery: 7.4v 2400 mah polymer battery.

Cheers
Jim K

2.2 isn`t optimised for larger displays, icons look very blocky and
things are scaled for a smaller display, no bargain at 99 quid

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zapp Brannigan" wrote in
:

"Jim K" wrote in message
Any point for £99?

7 inch netbook. Display: 7 Lcd Tft - maximum resolution 800 x 480.
Storage drive type: 4gb flash. System ram: 256mb. Operating System:
google android 2.2. Processor: via 8650 processor 800mhz arm9. Sd
card slot - expandable up to 32gb. Built in wi-fi 802.11 B/G/N.
Ethernet port. 3 usb 2.0 ports. 1x earphone port. 1x microphone port.
Speaker output 2 x 1w. Battery: 7.4v 2400 mah polymer battery.

Cheers
Jim K

I bought a similar £100 device to play with, loved it but was
frustrated by some of the cheapness. Then bought a Nexus 7 for £150,
which is immensely better. I'd advise skipping the Chinese tat
stage and buying a quality device. They are fantastic, you will not
regret the extra cost.

I got a cheap tablet (MOMO 9) and have learned how to use Android how to
configure e-mail, etc. I have found it more than adequate for my useage and
will have no regrets if it breaks down in a few months time. I would
probably replace it with something better - as I now appreciate the
usefuness of it and would feel inclined to spend a little more. However, I
have absolutely no regrets and am please I didn't jump in and buy an
expensive one. I got if from:
http://www.gtrelectronics.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 24/11/2012 13:42, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

I bought a similar £100 device to play with, loved it but was frustrated
by some of the cheapness. Then bought a Nexus 7 for £150, which is
immensely better. I'd advise skipping the Chinese tat stage and
buying a quality device. They are fantastic, you will not regret the
extra cost.

+1 for the Nexus 7
Performance and general Android clunkiness aside, a more subtle point is
that some cheap pads use a plastic screen surface which is horrible in
feel. Even if you insist on using a screen protector (most pads use
Gorilla glass so not necessary IMO), glass just feels better in use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 03:06:04 -0800 (PST), Jim K wrote:

Any point for £99?

What do you expect to use it for? Probably fine for a bit of email/web
use but watching movies on the move might be more than it can handle.

Others have mentioned the Nexus 7. That wasn't about when I got a Samsung
Galaxy Tab II 7.0 a few months back. Tesco have those for about the same
price as a Nexus 7. Very pleased with the Tab II.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 24/11/2012 11:44, curious wrote:

I think you can get much more up to date devices for the money. Look on

HUKD.

Check out Maplins good range of reasonably priced Android devices with much more recent version of Android OS

I realised after I'd posted that the OP refers to a netbook. The
majority of android devices are tablets, so you'd need to factor in the
cost of a (bluetooth?) keyboard and a stand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1181514 20121124 110604 Jim K wrote:
Any point for =A399?

7 inch netbook. Display: 7 Lcd Tft - maximum resolution 800 x 480. Storage=
drive type: 4gb flash. System ram: 256mb. Operating System: google android=
2.2. Processor: via 8650 processor 800mhz arm9. Sd card slot - expandable =
up to 32gb. Built in wi-fi 802.11 B/G/N. Ethernet port. 3 usb 2.0 ports. 1x=
earphone port. 1x microphone port. Speaker output 2 x 1w. Battery: 7.4v 24=
00 mah polymer battery.

I certainly wouldn't pay £99 for that!
Low-res display, slow CPU and not enough RAM to do anything useful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:
in 1181514 20121124 110604 Jim K wrote:
Any point for =A399?

7 inch netbook. Display: 7 Lcd Tft - maximum resolution 800 x 480.
Storage= drive type: 4gb flash. System ram: 256mb. Operating System:
google android= 2.2. Processor: via 8650 processor 800mhz arm9. Sd card
slot - expandable = up to 32gb. Built in wi-fi 802.11 B/G/N. Ethernet
port. 3 usb 2.0 ports. 1x= earphone port. 1x microphone port. Speaker
output 2 x 1w. Battery: 7.4v 24= 00 mah polymer battery.

I certainly wouldn't pay £99 for that!
Low-res display, slow CPU and not enough RAM to do anything useful.

A secondhand Toshiba AC100 has a higher spec and Toshiba build quality, at a
similar price. Android is a bit odd on machines without a touchscreen
though. The Tosh was still a bit restrictive until I put Ubuntu on it. It
still struggles a bit in 512MB though when doing lots of web browsing. Ob
d-i-y - there's a variety of hacks around - eg
http://www.altechnative.net/

For Android netbooks, there's not a lot of sensible choice. The Asus
Transformer range looks interesting, but at a price. So a tablet + keyboard
seems the way to go - the Nexus 7 is nice, maybe there are keyboards that
integrate well with it. But you don't get it for £99.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:

For Android netbooks, there's not a lot of sensible choice.

I'd overlooked that word netbook, and assumed tablet, are we to guess
the O/P is referring to this, or someone else's re-badging of the same
thing?

http://www.theoriginalfactoryshop.co.uk/Shop/p-3629-7-inch-Netbook-Android-2.2.html

That's definitely be bargepole territory for me. There are several
second hand Asus Transformer TF101 on fleabay for around a ton.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Nov 2012 14:08:32 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
wrote:

A secondhand Toshiba AC100 has a higher spec and Toshiba build quality,

But with a really ****ty attitude to dissemination of service information

http://www.tim.id.au/blog/2012/11/10...copyright-law/

I won't be buying anything made by them ever again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
http://www.theoriginalfactoryshop.co.uk/Shop/p-3629-7-inch-Netbook-Android-2.2.html

That's definitely be bargepole territory for me. There are several
second hand Asus Transformer TF101 on fleabay for around a ton.

"Due to data protection the Netbooks can only be returned if faulty. This
does not affect your statutory rights"

I think they'll find the Distance Selling Regulations /is/ one of my
statutory rights...

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A secondhand Toshiba AC100 has a higher spec and Toshiba build quality,

But with a really ****ty attitude to dissemination of service information

http://www.tim.id.au/blog/2012/11/10...copyright-law/

I won't be buying anything made by them ever again.

That's sad. JOOI, are service manuals typically available for other
products? I've done a bit of hunting for other things (dishwashers, cars,
computer bits) and mostly found parts diagrams and service tidbits but
rarely a full manufacturer service manual. Quite often the service manual
is just a poor description of how to unscrew things, when I want to know
schematics, part numbers (what's that awkward plastic catch that just broke)
or setup information (connect scope to point X and adjust RV405 until you
see this waveform).

On this point, I have a schematic for the AC100 and a Tegra 2 manual, so
that's most of the details sorted. I can more easily work out how to
unscrew things than work out where I find the undocumented SD card signals
(there are, on the AC100).

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 26, 2:08*pm, Theo Markettos
wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
[...]

At lower end of tablet market , CPC, 7" 60 quid with Android 4.0, not
access to Google Play though, apps though SlideMe marketplace.....

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
[...]

That link was of course

http://cpc.farnell.com/storage-optio...oid/dp/SB04932
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A secondhand Toshiba AC100 has a higher spec and Toshiba build quality,

But with a really ****ty attitude to dissemination of service information

http://www.tim.id.au/blog/2012/11/10...copyright-law/

I won't be buying anything made by them ever again.

That's sad. JOOI, are service manuals typically available for other
products? I've done a bit of hunting for other things (dishwashers, cars,
computer bits) and mostly found parts diagrams and service tidbits but
rarely a full manufacturer service manual.

Cars, no problem, and some makes have been openly distributing their service
literature for decades with technical advice available from the factory. The EU
made the service literature distribution compulsory a few years ago.

As far as consumer electronics are concerned, on a lot of modern kit then you'll
struggle to get the service information from the vast majority of manufacturers
and struggle to obtain anything but standard commercial parts. Some companies
are significantly better than others and may even have a parts pricing policy
that is positively sane. But it varies by country and what might be a good
company say in the US is a pile of stinking dog turd in the EU.

Sony (at least in the UK) used to have extremely cheap service info until the
mid to late 90's, (10 - 15 quid was typical) then it all went onto microfilm and
cost 10 to 20 x that. You were then forced into buying **** photocopies that,
being black and white, didn't show the pcb layouts and tracks correctly and
didn't make signal paths clear on the schematics. Add in lead free solder and
components that were too small to work with and the throwaway society took off.

White goods service info appears to be non existent. I would love to find a
comprehensive 'hooky' resource or even a manufacturer that makes their service
info available free or at very low cost (even better is stuff that just works
but that is clearly a challenge too far for white goods manufacturers these
days)

Computer kit probably isn't worth ****ing about with now. Just blackbox it and
chuck away what has failed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:
At lower end of tablet market , CPC, 7" Â*60 quid with Android 4.0, not
access to Google Play though, apps though SlideMe marketplace.....

That link was of course
http://cpc.farnell.com/storage-optio...oid/dp/SB04932

It's a tablet not a netbook, though I imagine you could fit a keyboard into
the budget.

Any ideas how well it works? I'm wondering how it compares to the Nexus 7
in non-demanding applications, taking into account the price difference.
Previously I would have assumed that 'Chinese Android' = 'barely working',
but wonder if things have improved.

I also note the Kindle Fire has been reduced to 99 quid this weekend, but I
have my doubts about Amazon's lockin.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://cpc.farnell.com/storage-optio...ic-plus-v2-7-a...

It's a tablet not a netbook, though I imagine you could fit a keyboard into
the budget.

Amazon seems to feature keyboards with tablets as a usual package.

Keyboard in main be a pest with a UI thats touch screen based, ok for
emails but think of tablet as more a passive device, watching rather
than doing,

some netbooks struggled to actually run full screen streaming video.

Any ideas how well it works? *I'm wondering how it compares to the Nexus 7
in non-demanding applications, taking into account the price difference.
Previously I would have assumed that 'Chinese Android' = 'barely working',
but wonder if things have improved.

There are various reviews on Amazon for other models, and a forum for
Storage Options Scroll tablets

http://scrolltabletforum.co.uk

Up the model range a bit , looks good for a mini media server for not
a lot of dosh.

I also note the Kindle Fire has been reduced to 99 quid this weekend, but I
have my doubts about Amazon's lockin.

lock and remote wipe I mean load....

Cheers
Adam