DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Android 7.1 nougat (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/680884-android-7-1-nougat.html)

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] October 14th 20 12:00 PM

Android 7.1 nougat

I have rooted my old NOOK HD+ 32Gb and installed a version of Android
7.1 Nougat on it, now I am struggling to achieve the unlock action...

I needed an Android device, to enable me to run an Android only app.

I wonder if anyone is familiar with the unlock action necessary? I am
new to Android.

When locked, it shows a tiny padlock in a circle, at the lower centre
of the screen. Tap the padlock and it suggests 'swipe upwords to
unlock' - I am finding it quite a tricky exercise to get it to then
unlock, usually it takes me several attempts, so I'm wondering if maybe
I'm using the wrong technique. What seems to work most often, is a very
rapid swipe from the bottom to the top of the touchscreen.

Perhaps it's the implementation of Android combined with the NOOK?

Andy Burns[_13_] October 14th 20 12:22 PM

Android 7.1 nougat

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

When locked, it shows a tiny padlock in a circle, at the lower centre of
the screen.

Normally just press over the icon, continue pressing and swipe it
upwards ...

Dave Liquorice[_2_] October 14th 20 01:07 PM

Android 7.1 nougat

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 12:00:53 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

When locked, it shows a tiny padlock in a circle, at the lower centre
of the screen. Tap the padlock and it suggests 'swipe upwords to
unlock' - I am finding it quite a tricky exercise to get it to then
unlock, usually it takes me several attempts, so I'm wondering if maybe
I'm using the wrong technique. What seems to work most often, is a very
rapid swipe from the bottom to the top of the touchscreen.

Technique I suspect. Start from the circled padlock swipe up,
maintianing finger contact with screen to somewhere over half way up?
"Very rapid" doesn't sound right, try slowing it down, take a gentle
1/2 to 1 second?

My Android 7.1.2 (Linage) on a Samsung SIII Mini just needs a short
quickish swipe up from the padlock to bring up the pattern
recognition unlock screen. But is also happy with a longer slow swipe
as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] October 14th 20 01:24 PM

Android 7.1 nougat

on 14/10/2020, Dave Liquorice supposed :
My Android 7.1.2 (Linage) on a Samsung SIII Mini just needs a short
quickish swipe up from the padlock to bring up the pattern
recognition unlock screen. But is also happy with a longer slow swipe
as well.

I tried that, no luck at all - with a slow swipe up, the display of
time and date gradually reduce in size, so it must be seeing my swipe.
I have tried circles, left swipes, right swipes. The only way I can get
it to unlock, is with the high speed bottom to top, or double clicking
a notification, when there is one on the screen.

I guess it must be the implementation combined with the slightly weird
NOOK hardware.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] October 14th 20 01:36 PM

Android 7.1 nougat

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 13:24:09 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

My Android 7.1.2 (Linage) on a Samsung SIII Mini just needs a

short
quickish swipe up from the padlock to bring up the pattern
recognition unlock screen. But is also happy with a longer slow

swipe
as well.

I tried that, no luck at all - with a slow swipe up, the display of
time and date gradually reduce in size, so it must be seeing my swipe.

That's what happens as I swipe up. What happens with a straight
gentle swipe up that goes goes off the top of the screen? Is there
any other unlock method required such as a PIN or pattern? I have a
pattern set.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] October 14th 20 02:13 PM

Android 7.1 nougat

on 14/10/2020, Dave Liquorice supposed :
That's what happens as I swipe up. What happens with a straight
gentle swipe up that goes goes off the top of the screen? Is there
any other unlock method required such as a PIN or pattern? I have a
pattern set.

Its default was just the swip to unlock, I added the pin thinking it
might avoid the swipe, but it didn't. Whether it needs or doesn't need
the pin to unlock, the swipe remains tricky to get past.

I'm not sure what the pattern method is, but the NOOK lacks a camera.

mm0fmf[_2_] October 14th 20 07:58 PM

Android 7.1 nougat

On 14/10/2020 12:00, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have rooted my old NOOK HD+ 32Gb and installed a version of Android
7.1 Nougat on it, now I am struggling to achieve the unlock action...

I needed an Android device, to enable me to run an Android only app.

I wonder if anyone is familiar with the unlock action necessary? I am
new to Android.

When locked, it shows a tiny padlock in a circle, at the lower centre of
the screen. Tap the padlock and it suggests 'swipe upwords to unlock' -
I am finding it quite a tricky exercise to get it to then unlock,
usually it takes me several attempts, so I'm wondering if maybe I'm
using the wrong technique. What seems to work most often, is a very
rapid swipe from the bottom to the top of the touchscreen.

Perhaps it's the implementation of Android combined with the NOOK?

It's all in the wrist action and you're doing it wrong.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) October 14th 20 08:26 PM

Android 7.1 nougat

Yes the Nook reader is not a very good touch screen, I feel. I'm sure I've
heard this before somewhere.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) October 14th 20 08:32 PM

Android 7.1 nougat

I don't think so. I do not have one, but a friends needs to be pressed
firmly, than with it held, moved up till the action occurs. Seems a little
odd since with Talkback on I think there is a different way to do it as
blind folk cannot see the padlock!

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 14th 20 09:07 PM

Android 7.1 nougat

No. Youch screen technology is in fact simply utter ****

Jimk October 14th 20 09:42 PM

Android 7.1 nougat

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
[...]

especially for yyping...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----