Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Euro locks - key blocking

"tim..." Wrote in message:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , tim...
wrote:

"NY" wrote in message
"Thomas Prufer" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 09:42:13 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

I've got some Euro locks on external doors, but people keep locking
them and leaving the key on the inside. This means I can't put a key
fully in from the outside to unlock it.

Is this a bug or a feature?

Feature.

This can be changed by a locksmith in the more expensive cylinders,
i.e. Kaba, Keso etc.

It would have been better if those locks had been designed so you *can*
put a key in from the outside and open the door, while still leaving a
second key in the inside lock in case you need to exit in an
emergency. They could have a slide-latch which disables opening from
the outside if required for extra security when you know that everyone
who lives in the house is safely inside.

or just install one with a thumb turn on the inside

there's no need to have a key-lockable lock on the inside

If someone has broken in via a window, an easy=open door makes it far
easier to escape with his ill=gottten goods. Advice from our local Police
Crime Prevention Officer.

horses for courses

If there's only one permanent occupant of the house, then there's no
possibility of you leaving the key on the inside in the first place, so key
lock on the inside works

OTOH, if there's a possibility of someone being in the house when other
occupant is out, there MUST be a way of easily opening the door from the
inside in case of fire - either a thumb wheel or easily accessible key, so
ANO Burglar could use that as well

if you want 100% security when everyone is out of the house install a second
lock, only accessible from the outside

FSV of "100%"...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 19:15:24 +0100, Jimk wrote:

"tim..." Wrote in message:

"charles" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Or get a Eurolock cylinder that works even with the key in the other
side...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Oct 2020 20:31:14 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Or get a Eurolock cylinder that works even with the key in the other side...

I see I was unclear in my upstream post: Cylinders can be bought either way. The
more expensive ones can be changed over, though this may require knowledge
and/or tools to contain tiny springybits, and/or small precision bits to
exchange. (Disassembly tends to be much easier than assembly!)

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Thomas Prufer
wrote:
On 14 Oct 2020 20:31:14 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Or get a Eurolock cylinder that works even with the key in the other
side...

I see I was unclear in my upstream post: Cylinders can be bought either
way. The more expensive ones can be changed over, though this may require
knowledge and/or tools to contain tiny springybits, and/or small
precision bits to exchange. (Disassembly tends to be much easier than
assembly!)

and you can often get a few "Ping -****its"

Thomas Prufer

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 09:44:56 on
Thu, 15 Oct 2020, Thomas Prufer
remarked:
On 14 Oct 2020 20:31:14 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Or get a Eurolock cylinder that works even with the key in the other side...

I see I was unclear in my upstream post: Cylinders can be bought either
way. The more expensive ones can be changed over, though this may
require knowledge and/or tools to contain tiny springybits, and/or
small precision bits to exchange. (Disassembly tends to be much easier
than assembly!)

Won't DIY work of that kind invalidate the kitemark, and thus your home
insurance?

I don't know what kind of certification a "locksmith" would need, to
maintain the kitemark status.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 09:33:22 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 09:44:56 on
Thu, 15 Oct 2020, Thomas Prufer
remarked:
On 14 Oct 2020 20:31:14 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Or get a Eurolock cylinder that works even with the key in the other
side...

I see I was unclear in my upstream post: Cylinders can be bought either
way. The more expensive ones can be changed over, though this may
require knowledge and/or tools to contain tiny springybits, and/or small
precision bits to exchange. (Disassembly tends to be much easier than
assembly!)

Won't DIY work of that kind invalidate the kitemark, and thus your home
insurance?

I don't know what kind of certification a "locksmith" would need, to
maintain the kitemark status.

The 'works even with a key in' cylinders don't seem to cost much more (or
less).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 09:40:53 on Thu, 15
Oct 2020, Bob Eager remarked:
[...]

But are they available at all in the higher security ratings (eg locks
that cost ~£50 each).
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:44:56 on
Thu, 15 Oct 2020, Thomas Prufer
remarked:
On 14 Oct 2020 20:31:14 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Or get a Eurolock cylinder that works even with the key in the other
side...

I see I was unclear in my upstream post: Cylinders can be bought either
way. The more expensive ones can be changed over, though this may require
knowledge and/or tools to contain tiny springybits, and/or small precision
bits to exchange. (Disassembly tends to be much easier than assembly!)

Won't DIY work of that kind invalidate the kitemark, and thus your home
insurance?

changing a like for like type cylinder wont

putting in a less secure cylinder might

I don't know what kind of certification a "locksmith" would need, to
maintain the kitemark status.

changing a cylinder in an open unlocked door is easily DIY-able.

It requires almost zero skills. Just knowledge of the "trick"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

[...]

subtle point

I should have said "unlock-able"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 11:21:43 on Thu, 15 Oct
2020, tim... remarked:
Or get a Eurolock cylinder that works even with the key in the other
side...

I see I was unclear in my upstream post: Cylinders can be bought
either way. The more expensive ones can be changed over, though this
may require knowledge and/or tools to contain tiny springybits,
and/or small precision bits to exchange. (Disassembly tends to be
much easier than assembly!)

Won't DIY work of that kind invalidate the kitemark, and thus your
home insurance?

changing a like for like type cylinder wont

putting in a less secure cylinder might

I don't know what kind of certification a "locksmith" would need, to
maintain the kitemark status.

changing a cylinder in an open unlocked door is easily DIY-able.

It requires almost zero skills. Just knowledge of the "trick"

None of those sounds like "disassembly", with tiny springy bits.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2020-10-15, Thomas Prufer wrote:

On 14 Oct 2020 20:31:14 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Or get a Eurolock cylinder that works even with the key in the other side...

I see I was unclear in my upstream post: Cylinders can be bought either way. The
more expensive ones can be changed over, though this may require knowledge
and/or tools to contain tiny springybits, and/or small precision bits to
exchange. (Disassembly tends to be much easier than assembly!)

That last bit is true for everything.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

No I didn't get that comment, mine don't have any springy bits. The locking
mechanism is encapsulated inside a standard fit cylinder and all you do is
swap the cylinder

I had Euro locks at the last house

I have them in this one

Got a locksmith to change the first and having seen what he did was
confident enough to change the one here

--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2020-10-15, Thomas Prufer wrote:

On 14 Oct 2020 20:31:14 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Or get a Eurolock cylinder that works even with the key in the other
side...

I see I was unclear in my upstream post: Cylinders can be bought either
way. The
more expensive ones can be changed over, though this may require
knowledge
and/or tools to contain tiny springybits, and/or small precision bits to
exchange. (Disassembly tends to be much easier than assembly!)

That last bit is true for everything.

I offer you a Corby trouser press to play with

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 16:35:42 on Thu, 15 Oct
2020, tim... remarked:

(Disassembly tends to be much easier than assembly!)

That last bit is true for everything.

I offer you a Corby trouser press to play with

My experience with mobile phones is that working out how to
non-destructively get the back off, is far harder than putting it back
together again.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 10:45:46 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

[...]

https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Lockso...uro-Cylinders-
with-Anti-Lockout.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
news
In message , at 16:35:42 on Thu, 15 Oct 2020,
tim... remarked:

(Disassembly tends to be much easier than assembly!)

That last bit is true for everything.

I offer you a Corby trouser press to play with

My experience with mobile phones is that working out how to
non-destructively get the back off, is far harder than putting it back
together again.

somebody from Norwich will be along to Whoosh you later