Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Euro locks - key blocking

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 19:15:24 +0100, Jimk wrote:

"tim..." Wrote in message:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , tim...
wrote:

"NY" wrote in message
"Thomas Prufer" wrote in
message ...
On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 09:42:13 +0100, Roland Perry

wrote:

I've got some Euro locks on external doors, but people keep
locking them and leaving the key on the inside. This means I can't
put a key fully in from the outside to unlock it.

Is this a bug or a feature?

Feature.

This can be changed by a locksmith in the more expensive
cylinders, i.e. Kaba, Keso etc.

It would have been better if those locks had been designed so you
*can*
put a key in from the outside and open the door, while still
leaving a second key in the inside lock in case you need to exit in
an emergency. They could have a slide-latch which disables opening
from the outside if required for extra security when you know that
everyone who lives in the house is safely inside.

or just install one with a thumb turn on the inside

there's no need to have a key-lockable lock on the inside

If someone has broken in via a window, an easy=open door makes it far
easier to escape with his ill=gottten goods. Advice from our local
Police Crime Prevention Officer.

horses for courses

If there's only one permanent occupant of the house, then there's no
possibility of you leaving the key on the inside in the first place, so
key lock on the inside works

OTOH, if there's a possibility of someone being in the house when other
occupant is out, there MUST be a way of easily opening the door from
the inside in case of fire - either a thumb wheel or easily accessible
key, so ANO Burglar could use that as well

if you want 100% security when everyone is out of the house install a
second lock, only accessible from the outside

FSV of "100%"...

Or get a Eurolock cylinder that works even with the key in the other
side...