Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water, water everywhere

Remember a while back I had trouble with a push fit pipe fitting. Yesterday I failed to learn from the previous lesson, I was removing the water meter from under the sink and at the same time replacing the stop cock with a sure stop. Because I am not certain where all the piping will be going until I come to fit the new sink unit, I tidied up as much as possible using push fit and plastic pipe to temporarily connect things up. Having spent a good part of the afternoon hunched up under the sink with back and knees hurting I forgot to check the push fits and just got on cutting pipe and fitting together. Well Sods Law was in full operation one fitting had a badly fitted O ring and this is where I discovered the one short coming of the sure stop, unlike a stop cock where you can slowly turn on the water, the switch on the surestop gives instant full pressure so the dodgy fitting caused an instant deluge fortunately the instant switch off of the surestop saved the day.

BTW any use for a second hand water meter, Yorkshire Water surprisingly do not want it back and told me to dump it. I may when I am less busy do a Big Clive like tear down out of curiosity.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2020 11:28, Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

It's interesting that YW trust you to fit the meter.

We once had a new main fitted, bypassing the existing meter, which I
removed and stuck in a cupboard. For years, we had a guy from the water
company come round to read this meter. I'd hand him the meter and he'd
duly put the reading in his machine, and go on his way. I wrote long
letters to the water company about it, but they never seemed to bother
to read them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking GB wrote :
It's interesting that YW trust you to fit the meter.

We once had a new main fitted, bypassing the existing meter, which I removed
and stuck in a cupboard. For years, we had a guy from the water company come
round to read this meter. I'd hand him the meter and he'd duly put the
reading in his machine, and go on his way. I wrote long letters to the water
company about it, but they never seemed to bother to read them.

That is at odds with my own experience with YW, I have always found
them to be exceptionally responsive and giving exceptional service in
response to enquiries. I should point out I only ring or email them, I
have never written a paper letter to them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
[...]

Where did he say he fitted a meter?

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We had a meter placed in the street a couple of years ago when the drive was being done and also because of the nature of the new sink unit keeping the meter there would add to the clutter, the old meter was simply left until the kitchen refurb. Removal in these circumstances is permissible without involving YW. They do know it is being removed as I said I enquired with them what they wanted to do with the old meter.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:

BTW any use for a second hand water meter, Yorkshire Water surprisingly
do not want it back and told me to dump it. I may when I am less busy do
a Big Clive like tear down out of curiosity.

Well if you have a feed going to fields or garden only (we have), then
you could use the meter on that to justify a claim for a refund on the
'sewerage' proportion of your water bill.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just had a close look at the meter, there is a battery symbol on the top with Lithium written inside and a label saying 433MHz, so I am assuming the battery is rechargeable probably from the flow of water on a mini turbine. The meter is presumably the sort that can be read by a drive by. At the moment I cannot see how to access the innards it will not unscrew off the body and there is no visible battery compartment, makes you wonder about longevity of the battery and how often the battery/meter needs replacing, we have been here in September 7 years and nobody has ever read the meter in that time.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Tricky Dicky wrote:

Just had a close look at the meter, there is a battery symbol on the top
with Lithium written inside and a label saying 433MHz, so I am assuming
the battery is rechargeable probably from the flow of water on a mini
turbine. The meter is presumably the sort that can be read by a drive by.
At the moment I cannot see how to access the innards it will not unscrew
off the body and there is no visible battery compartment, makes you wonder
about longevity of the battery and how often the battery/meter needs
replacing, we have been here in September 7 years and nobody has ever read
the meter in that time.

Richard

Looking forward to the tear down.
I have had a YW meter since May 2010 and they have never actually
physically looked at the meter.

A few months after it being installed I caught the YW meter van man
outside my house. Having explained I lived here and was interested in what
he was doing I got a full run down of what the meter can tell them while
he is sat in his van...

Total flow, max flow, very importantly, reverse flow, (very naughty and
results in heavy fines), even duration of flow (for suspected leakage I
was told).

I usually get a metered bill followed by an estimated bill (normally above
what I actually use! Mmmm?).

--
John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:

Just had a close look at the meter, there is a battery symbol on the
top with Lithium written inside and a label saying 433MHz, so I am
assuming the battery is rechargeable

More likely a Lithium thionyl chloride primary cell,
10 year D-type used in many smartmeter applications, e.g.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/d-batteries/2019466?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No cos they can charge you a lot more for unmetered water I would assume.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"GB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
Remember a while back I had trouble with a push fit pipe fitting.
Yesterday I failed to learn from the previous lesson, I was removing the
water meter

In what world are you allowed to personally remove a water meter?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try reading the rest of the thread it is all explained there.