Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Bryan[_2_] John Bryan[_2_] is offline

Default Water, water everywhere

In message
Tricky Dicky wrote:

Just had a close look at the meter, there is a battery symbol on the top
with Lithium written inside and a label saying 433MHz, so I am assuming
the battery is rechargeable probably from the flow of water on a mini
turbine. The meter is presumably the sort that can be read by a drive by.
At the moment I cannot see how to access the innards it will not unscrew
off the body and there is no visible battery compartment, makes you wonder
about longevity of the battery and how often the battery/meter needs
replacing, we have been here in September 7 years and nobody has ever read
the meter in that time.

Richard

Looking forward to the tear down.
I have had a YW meter since May 2010 and they have never actually
physically looked at the meter.

A few months after it being installed I caught the YW meter van man
outside my house. Having explained I lived here and was interested in what
he was doing I got a full run down of what the meter can tell them while
he is sat in his van...

Total flow, max flow, very importantly, reverse flow, (very naughty and
results in heavy fines), even duration of flow (for suspected leakage I
was told).

I usually get a metered bill followed by an estimated bill (normally above
what I actually use! Mmmm?).

--
John.