Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water, water everywhere

No cos they can charge you a lot more for unmetered water I would assume.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"GB" wrote in message
On 30/06/2020 11:28, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Remember a while back I had trouble with a push fit pipe fitting.
Yesterday I failed to learn from the previous lesson, I was removing the
water meter from under the sink and at the same time replacing the stop
cock with a sure stop. Because I am not certain where all the piping will
be going until I come to fit the new sink unit, I tidied up as much as
possible using push fit and plastic pipe to temporarily connect things
up. Having spent a good part of the afternoon hunched up under the sink
with back and knees hurting I forgot to check the push fits and just got
on cutting pipe and fitting together. Well Sods Law was in full operation
one fitting had a badly fitted O ring and this is where I discovered the
one short coming of the sure stop, unlike a stop cock where you can
slowly turn on the water, the switch on the surestop gives instant full
pressure so the dodgy fitting caused an instant deluge fortunately the
instant switch off of the surestop saved the day.

BTW any use for a second hand water meter, Yorkshire Water surprisingly
do not want it back and told me to dump it. I may when I am less busy do
a Big Clive like tear down out of curiosity.

It's interesting that YW trust you to fit the meter.

We once had a new main fitted, bypassing the existing meter, which I
removed and stuck in a cupboard. For years, we had a guy from the water
company come round to read this meter. I'd hand him the meter and he'd
duly put the reading in his machine, and go on his way. I wrote long
letters to the water company about it, but they never seemed to bother to
read them.