Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water, water everywhere

Remember a while back I had trouble with a push fit pipe fitting. Yesterday I failed to learn from the previous lesson, I was removing the water meter from under the sink and at the same time replacing the stop cock with a sure stop. Because I am not certain where all the piping will be going until I come to fit the new sink unit, I tidied up as much as possible using push fit and plastic pipe to temporarily connect things up. Having spent a good part of the afternoon hunched up under the sink with back and knees hurting I forgot to check the push fits and just got on cutting pipe and fitting together. Well Sods Law was in full operation one fitting had a badly fitted O ring and this is where I discovered the one short coming of the sure stop, unlike a stop cock where you can slowly turn on the water, the switch on the surestop gives instant full pressure so the dodgy fitting caused an instant deluge fortunately the instant switch off of the surestop saved the day.

BTW any use for a second hand water meter, Yorkshire Water surprisingly do not want it back and told me to dump it. I may when I am less busy do a Big Clive like tear down out of curiosity.

Richard