Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pubs with out of date beer barrels

On 01/07/2020 12:51, RJH wrote:
On 30 Jun 2020 at 09:02:54 BST, "alan_m" wrote:

On 29/06/2020 23:43, Custos Custodum wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 19:38:08 +0100, ARW
wrote:

Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

Coming soon to a Wetherspoons near you.

Don't they now have to first recruit more staff and train them - it will
take them all of 5 minutes to train a cellar-man how to keep beer in
good condition

I'll happily stand corrected, but I'd have thought there's quite a lot to
keeping cask beer and making sure it's served in top condition.

No need for you to be corrected. It's not simple.

--
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2020 12:14, Robin wrote:
On 01/07/2020 11:17, soup wrote:
On 29/06/2020 19:38, ARW wrote:
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your
out of date barrels.

Best* before dates have absolutely NO meaning in law, USE BY does.

Did I miss the repeal of the bit of the The Food Labelling Regulations
1996 that require that (with some exceptions) "the minimum durability of
a food shall be indicated by the words best before followed by a)the
date up to and including which the food can reasonably be expected to
retain its specific properties if properly stored, and ..."?

Quiet right, V bad wording on my part .
Sort of idea I was going for was 'best before' just indicates when
food(or comestibles) is at its highest quality, it can still be served
but may taste or look crap, not illegal to sell (maybe stupid[loss of
reputation etc] but not illegal). 'Use by' indicates food that should
not be eaten after a certain date.

Best by- Quality
Use by - Safety
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2020 21:08, alan_m wrote:
The other mistake I've seen is to replicate a theme pub, that may work
as a one off in London, to the rest of the country. They may get short
term trade until the novelty quickly wears off.

There are 'Irish Pubs' (run by Kiwis) all over the world :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2020 14:44, Andrew wrote:
On 30/06/2020 21:08, alan_m wrote:
The other mistake I've seen is to replicate a theme pub, that may work
as a one off in London, to the rest of the country. They may get short
term trade until the novelty quickly wears off.

There are 'Irish Pubs' (run by Kiwis) all over the world :-)

Probably only works with a ex-pat population (of maybe many generations)
that has a rose tinted view of the old country. Possibly bearing no
resemblance what so ever to a typical pub in Ireland (or even a pub in
Ireland 50 years ago)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2020 12:51, RJH wrote:

I'll happily stand corrected, but I'd have thought there's quite a lot to
keeping cask beer and making sure it's served in top condition.

Exactly - but you have probably not experienced the cellerman's
workmanship in one of my local Wetherspoon pubs!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2020 20:29, Rod Speed wrote:

Why cant they use the ones they had before ?

They were all told to go and find jobs in Tesco!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Jul 2020 at 15:42:57 BST, "alan_m" wrote:

On 01/07/2020 12:51, RJH wrote:

I'll happily stand corrected, but I'd have thought there's quite a lot to
keeping cask beer and making sure it's served in top condition.

Exactly - but you have probably not experienced the cellerman's
workmanship in one of my local Wetherspoon pubs!

Tell me about it. I have to go to the cursed place because a couple of pals
can't go anywhere else, mobility reasons. I drink keg lager or tinned beer,
it's that bad. I've tried several pints that were just shy of vinegar. Not got
vast experience of them so maybe it's a one-off.

I did go on a small brewery tour a few years back. They complained that
Wetherspoons distort the market and drive prices low by bulk buying just as
the beer is on the cusp of its sell by date. So maybe it's gone off too.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2020 11:17, soup wrote:
On 29/06/2020 19:38, ARW wrote:
[...]

Yes. Subject to the qualification that there's no penalty for sellers
who err on the safe side. Hence I am one of those who read "use by"
dates not as "should not be eaten after" but as "have a look/sniff
before eating after...". Or in the case of some cheeses "probably not
worth eating /before/..."

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2020 15:59, RJH wrote:

I did go on a small brewery tour a few years back. They complained that
Wetherspoons distort the market and drive prices low by bulk buying just as
the beer is on the cusp of its sell by date. So maybe it's gone off too.

I'm not sure how that distorts the market that much. If a small brewery
has a mass of unsold beer close to its "sell by date" what else are they
going to do with it? It's not zero cost to throw it away.

With larger breweries the price paid by the public in supermarkets for
beer is often less than the brewery sell the same to publicans. This
probably distorts the market much more.

The percentage of beer that is off when it reaches any pub is probably a
vanishly small number. Cellarmanship (incl. stock control) and hygiene
have more to do with what comes out of the pump.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2020 11:17, soup wrote:
On 29/06/2020 19:38, ARW wrote:
[...]

Having a sniff is COMPLETELY USELESS.
It is no indication of fitness to eat.

From:- https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygie...d-use-by-dates

Dont trust the sniff test

Food can look and smell fine even after its use by date, but that
doesn't mean it's safe to eat. It could still be contaminated.

You cannot *see, smell or taste* the bacteria that cause food

poisoning.

Or in the case of some cheeses "probably not
worth eating /before/..."

Never used to like 'stinky' cheese but now...

From:- https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygie...d-use-by-dates

***** Dont trust the sniff test

***** Food can look and smell fine even after its use by date, but that
***** doesn't mean it's safe to eat. It could still be contaminated.

***** You cannot *see, smell or taste* the bacteria that cause food
***** poisoning.

I agree unreservedly with the gov.uk statement.

I disagree with your "completely useless". The fact that /some/ food
can kill despite the absence of bad smell does not mean the presence of
a bad smell is not an indicator. Similarly the fact /some/ food can
kill while looking fine is not a good reason to ignore eg maggots on meat.

And the risks aren't uniform. Eg I would judge my eyes/nose/tongue on
dairy products and meat but not on live oysters or other raw shellfish.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 15:42:57 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 01/07/2020 12:51, RJH wrote:

I'll happily stand corrected, but I'd have thought there's quite a lot to
keeping cask beer and making sure it's served in top condition.

Exactly - but you have probably not experienced the cellerman's
workmanship in one of my local Wetherspoon pubs!

Same here - refurbished the pub but not the 'expertise' so I offered,
without asking the manager of my favourite pub as consultant. She was
reckoned, by two reps who covered half of England, to be the best beer
keeper in the country, i.e. thae whole world and Potters bar.
Even a 5.2% ale that was brewed a sack barrow delivery away was off.
I still have about 15 quids worth of CAMRA tokens to use - need to make a
profit on my membership!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in
message ...
ARW has brought this to us :
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

I thought beer was usually good for 12 months after bottling/ keging?

My bottled homebrew stout from 8 months ago is still good.

I regularly drink some of mine that is over a year old.
It is noticeably different to when it is only a couple of
months since bottled, but will fine to drink.

But the beer in pub kegs is done differently, It doesn't
have secondary fermentation in the keg, it just has CO2
injected like they do with soft drink.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

surely well sealed alcohol products don't go "off"

Correct, but they do taste different as they age.

the point of BB dates is the lifetime of the seals on the container, not
the lifetime of the product

Thats not true of beer kegs in pubs. Those seals last a lot
longer than the 4 months the lockdown has been in force.

If the beer's gone off when they serve it, hand it back to them

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 08:12:48 +1000, Joshua Snow, better known as cantankerous

addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
his particular prowess at it every day."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

Coming soon to a Wetherspoons near you.

Don't they now have to first recruit more staff and train them - it will
take them all of 5 minutes to train a cellar-man how to keep beer in good
condition

I'll happily stand corrected, but I'd have thought there's quite a lot to
keeping cask beer and making sure it's served in top condition.

Yes,. but that doesnt involve the best before date.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 08:16:02 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

"Thats because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Why cant they use the ones (pub cellarmen
who were laid off) they had before ?

They were all told to go and find jobs in Tesco!

But were unlikely to have actually found any there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Jul 2020 at 16:34:30 BST, "alan_m" wrote:

On 01/07/2020 15:59, RJH wrote:

I did go on a small brewery tour a few years back. They complained that
Wetherspoons distort the market and drive prices low by bulk buying just as
the beer is on the cusp of its sell by date. So maybe it's gone off too.

I'm not sure how that distorts the market that much. If a small brewery
has a mass of unsold beer close to its "sell by date" what else are they
going to do with it? It's not zero cost to throw it away.

I forget the line of reasoning. It was something along the lines of your next
production run is determined by your previous. Wetherspoons would hold out
until the last moment and hoover up beer that had to be sold at wholesale
auction events. This meant the beer was sold, informing the next run of
brewing, but not at the expected price.

With larger breweries the price paid by the public in supermarkets for
beer is often less than the brewery sell the same to publicans. This
probably distorts the market much more.

The percentage of beer that is off when it reaches any pub is probably a
vanishly small number. Cellarmanship (incl. stock control) and hygiene
have more to do with what comes out of the pump.

Yes, I'd have thought so too. If I had to guess, at Wetherspoons it's three
things: they keep open kegs on tap for far longer than they should (vinegar
beer); they don't let the barrels settle, and simply roll them into place when
changing (maybe 70% of the pints I've had have been cloudy); and/or hygiene
and things like cellar temperatures (the manager has told me he has problems
maintaining the correct temperature).

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2020 03:16, Rod Speed wrote:
alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Why cant they use the ones (pub cellarmen who were laid off) they had
before ?

They were all told to go and find jobs in Tesco!

But were unlikely to have actually found any there.

Possibly, but the joke used to be that most Wetherspoon staff were
McDonald rejects including the seemingly the large number of managers on
duty at one time. My local Wetherspoon was once used as a training pub.

Do everything by the book irrespective of the needs or number of
customers. Dead on 10pm remove most of the staff from serving on a busy
bar to go on cleaning duty etc. Not being served is a way to empty a pub
an hour before closing time and to encourage repeat custom. Even during
slack time not being severed by the two employees behind the bar on
coffee-tea only duty - but with no customers to order tea or coffee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

I forget the line of reasoning. It was something along the lines of your next
production run is determined by your previous. Wetherspoons would hold out
until the last moment and hoover up beer that had to be sold at wholesale
auction events. This meant the beer was sold, informing the next run of
brewing, but not at the expected price.

Can't blame Wetherspoons for that; if the brewers don't like it, every
now and then they could sell it cheap to someone else so that
Wetherspoons miss out, encouraging them to buy earlier or pay more next
time ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 12:16:06 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 08:30:50 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Thats because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 July 2020 08:06:40 UTC+1, RJH wrote:
Yes, I'd have thought so too. If I had to guess, at Wetherspoons it's
... things like cellar temperatures (the manager has told me he has
problems maintaining the correct temperature).

A lot of 'spoons are in converted buildings that probably don't have cellars, certainly not proper pub cellars.

I would have expected them to have a fairly fast turnover of beer stock though, or do they have such a wide range they still end up with slow-moving stock.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

To be fair here, could it be that they are testing the beer first to
check that it is okay then applying a new label (rather than just
changing the labels)?

I shall be able to get that info for you tomorrow - final day sorting
out the CCTV, outside lights, wifi to the beer garden so that the
waitress service app works etc for the big opening on Saturday.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Joshua Snow" Wrote in message:

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in
message ...
ARW has brought this to us :
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

I thought beer was usually good for 12 months after bottling/ keging?

My bottled homebrew stout from 8 months ago is still good.

I regularly drink some of mine that is over a year old.
It is noticeably different to when it is only a couple of
months since bottled, but will fine to drink.

But the beer in pub kegs is done differently, It doesn't
have secondary fermentation in the keg, it just has CO2
injected like they do with soft drink.

We call it "keg beer"....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

To be fair here, could it be that they are testing the beer first to
check that it is okay then applying a new label (rather than just
changing the labels)?

I shall be able to get that info for you tomorrow - final day sorting
out the CCTV, outside lights, wifi to the beer garden so that the
waitress service app works etc for the big opening on Saturday.

Apparently they tested the batch not the pubs individual kegs.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

To be fair here, could it be that they are testing the beer first to
check that it is okay then applying a new label (rather than just
changing the labels)?

I shall be able to get that info for you tomorrow - final day sorting
out the CCTV, outside lights, wifi to the beer garden so that the
waitress service app works etc for the big opening on Saturday.

Apparently they tested the batch not the pubs individual kegs.

I suppose there is some logic there, as the original 'best before'
date must have been estimated on the basis of the characteristics of
the batch.

I don't drink beer at present but I am pretty confident that any of my
beer enthusiast friends would be able to tell immediately if a pint
was 'off'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Keg beer is not drunk by "beer enthusiasts"...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Maybe not, but I am confident if asked the question they would be able
to come up with an informed answer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2020 06:53, Jimk wrote:

Keg beer is not drunk by "beer enthusiasts"...

Unless under the guise of a "craft beer"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2020 10:51, Scott wrote:

Maybe not, but I am confident if asked the question they would be able
to come up with an informed answer.

I do remember many decades ago, and when living in Southampton, that one
of the UK breweries producing a popular lager was on strike, or maybe
had production problems. The same brand was imported from the continent
and distributed to the surrounding pubs. Regular drinker of that lager
complained that it was off whereas in reality the "UK brewed under
licence" variant was nothing like its continental parent and just tasted
very different - and the same as I had tasted when abroad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 11:03:33 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 05/07/2020 10:51, Scott wrote:

Maybe not, but I am confident if asked the question they would be able
to come up with an informed answer.

I do remember many decades ago, and when living in Southampton, that one
of the UK breweries producing a popular lager was on strike, or maybe
had production problems. The same brand was imported from the continent
and distributed to the surrounding pubs. Regular drinker of that lager
complained that it was off whereas in reality the "UK brewed under
licence" variant was nothing like its continental parent and just tasted
very different - and the same as I had tasted when abroad.

The Guinness drinkers I knew said the product brewed in Park Royal was
nowhere near as good as the Dublin brew.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/07/2020 10:51, Scott wrote:

Maybe not, but I am confident if asked the question they would be able
to come up with an informed answer.

I do remember many decades ago, and when living in Southampton, that one
of the UK breweries producing a popular lager was on strike, or maybe
had production problems. The same brand was imported from the continent
and distributed to the surrounding pubs. Regular drinker of that lager
complained that it was off whereas in reality the "UK brewed under
licence" variant was nothing like its continental parent and just tasted
very different - and the same as I had tasted when abroad.

The Guinness drinkers I knew said the product brewed in Park Royal was
nowhere near as good as the Dublin brew.

^ That!

Avpx

--
One day a tortoise will learn how to fly.
(Small Gods)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/07/2020 10:51, Scott wrote:

Maybe not, but I am confident if asked the question they would be able
to come up with an informed answer.

I do remember many decades ago, and when living in Southampton, that one
of the UK breweries producing a popular lager was on strike, or maybe
had production problems. The same brand was imported from the continent
and distributed to the surrounding pubs. Regular drinker of that lager
complained that it was off whereas in reality the "UK brewed under
licence" variant was nothing like its continental parent and just tasted
very different - and the same as I had tasted when abroad.

The Guinness drinkers I knew said the product brewed in Park Royal was
nowhere near as good as the Dublin brew.

Years ago in the US, a friend who knew I drank Guinness gave me a case
of the stuff. The US version tasted nothing like what I drank on this
side of the Atlantic. It was truly dreadful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2020 14:04, S Viemeister wrote:

Years ago in the US, a friend who knew I drank Guinness gave me a case
of the stuff. The US version tasted nothing like what I drank on this
side of the Atlantic. It was truly dreadful.

Albeit a few years ago, but long after the demise of Watneys as a
brewing entity, I read some good reviews about US Watneys Red Barrel
I believe it was sold in at least one Disney theme park, possibly in an
"English" pub.

At one time, or perhaps still, brand or beer names are just used to
badge locally brewed beer irrespective if there was any taste connection
with the original.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 05/07/2020 10:56, alan_m wrote:
On 05/07/2020 06:53, Jimk wrote:

Keg beer is not drunk by "beer enthusiasts"...

Unless under the guise of a "craft beer"

Lou's greatest ever comment

Second day of the CAMRA beer festival at Hull Minster and our first visit.

CAMRA member "We have run our of cask ales"

Lou "I am not surprised they cannot ****ing wait to drink it and fill in
a note book."

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2020 06:53, Jimk wrote:

Keg beer is not drunk by "beer enthusiasts"...

Unless under the guise of a "craft beer"

Lou's greatest ever comment

Second day of the CAMRA beer festival at Hull Minster and our first visit.

CAMRA member "We have run our of cask ales"

Lou "I am not surprised they cannot ****ing wait to drink it and fill in
a note book."

"Beer tickers"
There's a pub in Sheffield with an attached micro brewery. They
name their beers after old steam locos, - same beers but each
brew gets a different loco name so the tickers would come in &
buy a half so they could tick it off.

Regulars just order "the weak ****", "medium ****" or "strong
****" as they prefer... :-)
--