Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Pubs with out of date beer barrels

On 01/07/2020 17:19, soup wrote:
On 01/07/2020 16:18, Robin wrote:
On 01/07/2020 13:39, soup wrote:
On 01/07/2020 12:14, Robin wrote:
On 01/07/2020 11:17, soup wrote:
On 29/06/2020 19:38, ARW wrote:
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on
your out of date barrels.

Best* before dates have absolutely NO meaning in law, USE BY does.

Did I miss the repeal of the bit of the The Food Labelling
Regulations 1996 that require that (with some exceptions) "the
minimum durability of a food shall be indicated by the words best
before followed by a)the date up to and including which the food
can reasonably be expected to retain its specific properties if
properly stored, and ..."?

**Quiet right, V bad wording on my part .
Sort of idea I was going for was 'best before' just indicates when
food(or comestibles) is at its highest quality, it can still be
served but may taste or look crap, not illegal to sell (maybe
stupid[loss of reputation etc] but not illegal).* 'Use by' indicates
food that should not be eaten after a certain date.

Best by- Quality
Use by - Safety

Yes.* Subject to the qualification that there's no penalty for sellers
who err on the safe side. Hence I am one of those who read "use by"
dates not as "should not be eaten after" but as "have a look/sniff
before eating after...".

Having a sniff is COMPLETELY USELESS.
It is no indication of fitness to eat.

From:- https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygie...d-use-by-dates

***** Dont trust the sniff test

***** Food can look and smell fine even after its use by date, but that
***** doesn't mean it's safe to eat. It could still be contaminated.

***** You cannot *see, smell or taste* the bacteria that cause food
***** poisoning.

I agree unreservedly with the gov.uk statement.

I disagree with your "completely useless". The fact that /some/ food
can kill despite the absence of bad smell does not mean the presence of
a bad smell is not an indicator. Similarly the fact /some/ food can
kill while looking fine is not a good reason to ignore eg maggots on meat.

And the risks aren't uniform. Eg I would judge my eyes/nose/tongue on
dairy products and meat but not on live oysters or other raw shellfish.

--
Robin