Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Pubs with out of date beer barrels

Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2020 19:38, ARW wrote:
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

shocking
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2020 19:38, ARW wrote:
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

I've got some 1992 bottled beer under my stairs - however it is around
11% ABV (Courage Russian Stout). Two bottles I drank over the Christmas
period were very nice

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2020 19:38, ARW wrote:
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

Some of them may actually taste better with a longer conditioning period.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m posted
On 29/06/2020 19:38, ARW wrote:
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your
out of date barrels.

I've got some 1992 bottled beer under my stairs - however it is around
11% ABV (Courage Russian Stout). Two bottles I drank over the
Christmas period were very nice

Bloody hell. I used to drink that in 1977. Didn't know you could still
get it - even in 1992.

--
Algernon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

Who'sat then?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 June 2020 19:38:09 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

In Cornwall:

Thousands of gallons of beer have been poured down the drain in Cornwall in the past week as pubs prepare to reopen.

It has been a challenge for South West Water, which has had to co-ordinate time slots for every pub to avoid overloading the system.

Mr Williams had to get rid of his beer on a Friday and a Monday, pouring 50 gallons each day.
"It took over an hour to get rid of but it had to be done," he said.
Staff at South West Water said they had to make sure only small amounts of beer were released into the system on any one day.
Andrew Rowntree, from the utility company, said beer took a lot of oxygen to break down - oxygen which was vital to the way water treatment plants worked.
If the treatment process gets hit with a lot of beer, then the bacteria within our system has a 'bad night out', and it doesn't do any good at all. It can completely kill our sewage treatment processes."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 19:38:08 +0100, ARW
wrote:

Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

Coming soon to a Wetherspoons near you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 15:02:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Pub teneant in the village told me that there were 55 million pints across
the UK; about a week later his mother, who runs the pub in the next village,
said 72 million!
Apparently it's being disposed of locally because the delivery lorries can't
load the 'barrels' - drop and bounce doesn't work well in reverse - and it's
too expensive and complicated to hire lorries.
Marstons is reimbursing pubs for the wasted beer; I don't know what Wells is
doing re. rent, but it has a poor reputation as a pubco.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

Coming soon to a Wetherspoons near you.

Don't they now have to first recruit more staff and train them - it will
take them all of 5 minutes to train a cellar-man how to keep beer in
good condition

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 June 2020 08:55:53 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
I guess that some pubs on day one of the lock-down just shut their doors
and no cellar work has taken place until recently.

I thought that most if not all were emptying as quickly as possible after lockdown for insurance requirements.

Or perhaps all those signs "all stock removed from premises" are not all true.

In Edinburgh empty houses sometimes have "all fireplaces removed from premises" signs.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 June 2020 09:12:05 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
There was a girl at my school who used to add a small amount of whisky
to the goldfish bowl if she thought the goldfish was depressed.

That's wrong in so many ways, but what a delightful thought.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

Coming soon to a Wetherspoons near you.

Don't they now have to first recruit more staff and train them - it will
take them all of 5 minutes to train a cellar-man how to keep beer in
good condition

Fsv of "beer" you mean? like "cough-tinental" larger & guinness
(black larger)
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 June 2020 11:37:13 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
We had cast iron fires / surrounds in the Victorian cottage when I
bought it and have since pulled all but one out. A builder doing some
other work here saw them and suggested they were 'worth a bit'.

It's the Adam marble that's expensive, not the grate from the third housemaid's garret.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2020 11:37, T i m wrote:

We had cast iron fires / surrounds in the Victorian cottage when I
bought it and have since pulled all but one out. A builder doing some
other work here saw them and suggested they were 'worth a bit'.

I took a photograph of one and showed it to a local fire reclaimers,
asking them if it would be any interest and he said 'no thanks' (at
nearly any money).

Whilst it was fairly ornate and undamaged, they really only wanted the
bigger ones (these were mostly bedroom sized). ;-(

So unless the mixed-light-iron scrap price has skyrocketed ... ?

Same experience 35 years ago when pulling out cast iron bedroom fireplaces.

Estate agents describing a property as full of period features usually
means full of outdated old crap that most people discarded 50+ years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2020 12:15, Jimk wrote:

Fsv of "beer" you mean? like "cough-tinental" larger & guinness
(black larger)

I've known pubs where poor cellarmanship can F*** ** nearly everything
that comes out of the pumps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2020 20:11, alan_m wrote:
On 29/06/2020 19:38, ARW wrote:
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your
out of date barrels.

I've got some 1992 bottled beer under my stairs - however it is around
11% ABV* (Courage Russian Stout). Two bottles I drank over the Christmas
period were very nice

Sounds like a 'best after' date would be more useful then !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 13:16:55 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 30/06/2020 11:37, T i m wrote:

We had cast iron fires / surrounds in the Victorian cottage when I
bought it and have since pulled all but one out. A builder doing some
other work here saw them and suggested they were 'worth a bit'.

I took a photograph of one and showed it to a local fire reclaimers,
asking them if it would be any interest and he said 'no thanks' (at
nearly any money).

Whilst it was fairly ornate and undamaged, they really only wanted the
bigger ones (these were mostly bedroom sized). ;-(

So unless the mixed-light-iron scrap price has skyrocketed ... ?

Same experience 35 years ago when pulling out cast iron bedroom fireplaces.

Estate agents describing a property as full of period features usually
means full of outdated old crap that most people discarded 50+ years ago.

;-)

The remaining fireplace would be fairly 'collectable', even if only
because it would add to the local scrap-collectors wagon. ;-)

The lounge had a tiled / concrete surround and hearth and the chimney
/ breast was still in the kitchen (along with all the other rooms).

I took the one out of the kitchen, though the bedroom and into the
loft and braced it there till we had the roof redone and I took it out
completely.

The two downstairs ones still have wall mounted gas fires on them and
the one bedroom hearth is just bricked up and vented.

The remaining cast iron hearth / surround is still in place and they
are actually fairly plain with a few frills. Still, been there over
130 years and the mantle can easily take the weight of a 42" plasma
TV[1]. ;-)

I really can't handle the idea of having an open fire in a bedroom!

Cheers, T i m

[1] The glass of the screen still weighs a ton on it's own and I have
a fairly large cardboard box full of various PCB's out of it that
nearly weigh as much!

Apart from making a coffee table out of the screen, it will be with a
heavy heart when I throw (heave) the glass into the skip, considering
the millions of cells potentially running at 1200 DegC and the effort
that went into designing and building it. ;-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 05:09:52 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Tuesday, 30 June 2020 11:37:13 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
We had cast iron fires / surrounds in the Victorian cottage when I
bought it and have since pulled all but one out. A builder doing some
other work here saw them and suggested they were 'worth a bit'.

It's the Adam marble that's expensive,

Yeah. A mate used to make 'mock' Adams surrounds in plaster?

not the grate from the third housemaid's garret.

Well, this was (is) a bit more than just a grate. ;-)

Looking he

https://www.oldfireplaces.co.uk/page...roduct&x=0&y=0

There doesn't seem to be much under 500, most seem to be sold and
many are smaller and less well proportioned than ours (or mantle is
36" wide and about 40" height). ;-)

Time to get the hammer and bolster out? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m Wrote in message:
On 30/06/2020 12:15, Jimk wrote:

Fsv of "beer" you mean? like "cough-tinental" larger & guinness
(black larger)

I've known pubs where poor cellarmanship can F*** ** nearly everything
that comes out of the pumps.

Lager liking, nouvelle cuisine selling, gastro bollox amateurs
IME & O
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2020 14:30, Jimk wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 30/06/2020 12:15, Jimk wrote:

Fsv of "beer" you mean? like "cough-tinental" larger & guinness
(black larger)

I've known pubs where poor cellarmanship can F*** ** nearly everything
that comes out of the pumps.

Lager liking, nouvelle ££ cuisine selling, gastro bollox amateurs
IME & O

Not necessarily. There is sometimes an obvious reason why some
"traditional" pubs fail while the one 100 metres up the road is crowded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2020 19:07, Jimk wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 30/06/2020 14:30, Jimk wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 30/06/2020 12:15, Jimk wrote:

Fsv of "beer" you mean? like "cough-tinental" larger & guinness
(black larger)

I've known pubs where poor cellarmanship can F*** ** nearly everything
that comes out of the pumps.

Lager liking, nouvelle ££ cuisine selling, gastro bollox amateurs
IME & O

Not necessarily. There is sometimes an obvious reason why some
"traditional" pubs fail while the one 100 metres up the road is crowded.

Tits?

Probably not, if it is in Soho :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

Coming soon to a Wetherspoons near you.

Don't they now have to first recruit more staff and train them

Why cant they use the ones they had before ?

- it will take them all of 5 minutes to train a cellar-man how to keep
beer in good condition

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 05:29:50 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 29/06/2020 22:00, Jimk wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

Who'sat then?

Well the barrel that refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach is one
of the barrels.

The Moretti and John Smiths have also been relabelled.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

Coming soon to a Wetherspoons near you.

I have not yet got proof that Spoons have done it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2020 19:07, Jimk wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 30/06/2020 14:30, Jimk wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 30/06/2020 12:15, Jimk wrote:

Fsv of "beer" you mean? like "cough-tinental" larger & guinness
*** (black larger)

I've known pubs where poor cellarmanship can F*** ** nearly everything
that comes out of the pumps.

Lager liking, nouvelle ££ cuisine selling, gastro bollox amateurs
** IME & O

Not necessarily. There is sometimes an obvious reason why some
"traditional" pubs fail while the one 100 metres up the road is crowded.

Tits?

Probably not, if it is in Soho :-)

In my long drinking experience, pubs with topless barmaids etc. only
seem to last a few months. The pricing policy soon drives people to
drink elsewhere.

The other mistake I've seen is to replicate a theme pub, that may work
as a one off in London, to the rest of the country. They may get short
term trade until the novelty quickly wears off.

While there may be is a place for novelty pubs and pubs with elevated
prices the vast majority in the UK are not of this type and have to
compete with supermarkets for alcohol sales.

It may take two years to build a pub trade but only two weeks or less to
lose it. I've seen too many new landlords/managers come into a once busy
pub and virtually empty it, and then complain that the customer owes
them a living.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

To be fair here, could it be that they are testing the beer first to
check that it is okay then applying a new label (rather than just
changing the labels)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 29/06/2020 22:00, Jimk wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

Who'sat then?

Well the barrel that refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach is one
of the barrels.

The Moretti and John Smiths have also been relabelled.

Ah keg beer....yuck! Tho sterile until tapped iirc?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW has brought this to us :
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out of
date barrels.

I thought beer was usually good for 12 months after bottling/ keging?

My bottled homebrew stout from 8 months ago is still good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out of
date barrels.

surely well sealed alcohol products don't go "off"

the point of BB dates is the lifetime of the seals on the container, not the
lifetime of the product

If the beer's gone off when they serve it, hand it back to them

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2020 19:38, ARW wrote:
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

Best before dates have absolutely NO meaning in law, USE BY does.

Anyway they have probably allowed for the barrels being opened but as
they haven't ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2020 11:17, soup wrote:
On 29/06/2020 19:38, ARW wrote:
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your
out of date barrels.

Best* before dates have absolutely NO meaning in law, USE BY does.

Did I miss the repeal of the bit of the The Food Labelling Regulations
1996 that require that (with some exceptions) "the minimum durability of
a food shall be indicated by the words best before followed by a)the
date up to and including which the food can reasonably be expected to
retain its specific properties if properly stored, and ..."?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

Coming soon to a Wetherspoons near you.

Don't they now have to first recruit more staff and train them - it will
take them all of 5 minutes to train a cellar-man how to keep beer in
good condition

I'll happily stand corrected, but I'd have thought there's quite a lot to
keeping cask beer and making sure it's served in top condition.
--
Cheers, Rob