Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connecting waste pipes to plastic barrels.

I'm trying to put together a plan for a new filter for my pond and am
getting confused about different pipe diameters. Basically it's going
to be two plastic barrels like these http://www.smithsofthedean.co.uk/Blue%20Sq%20100l2.JPG
connected together near the top with a piece of pipe and an outflow
from one of the barrels to the pond.

What I'm not sure about is the cheapest way to connect the pipes to
the barrels. I can order different sized tank connectors, such as here
http://www.koi-fish.co.uk/acatalog/p...onnectors.html. But if I
want to use at least a 3" pipe then I seem to be stuck with buying
expensive pipes from the same place.

The connectors aren't took expensive but as I'll be using several
meters of pipe and a few elbows does anyone have any cheaper
suggestions as to what pipes would be suitable. Ideally something I
can solvent weld or at least be sure won't leak.

Thanks

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

matthelliwell wrote:
[...]

Do you really need such a large diameter pipe? 3" will support a huge
flow rate. If you can live with domestic waste pipes of 32 & 40 mm,
there are loads of cheap fitting both solvent weld and compression types
which will allow disconnection for cleaning/modification etc.

I think there is some 50mm waste pipe too but less popular and possibly
only push fit too.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"matthelliwell" wrote in message
[...]

Class C is the cheap stuff. However, it is a standard plumbing material and,
if you shop around you should be able to get it a bit cheaper than they sell
it at.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin coughed up some electrons that declared:

I think there is some 50mm waste pipe too but less popular and possibly
only push fit too.

Nope, solvent weld is available too. Surprisingly B&Q sell it (at bigger
stores at least) as do BES. Made by both Floplast and Marley.

I know - I've just used loads

OT: Made a homemade 50mm u-trap out of bends and tees with 2 access plugs,
for clearing - partly as an excercise in wibbling.

However, this u-trap, under garden tests with hosepipe and bucket can cope
with in excess of 50 l/min without backing up. The idea was to have a
single u-trap serving two machine standpipes, partly to have the trap on
the other side of the wall (under the stairs for easier access) and partly
to avoid problems relating to if a machine was not present and having the
associated trap dry out and pong.

Whoever it was how recommended 50mm for my kitchen (sink + 2 appliances
max) - thanks. Under tests it does perform extremely well, despite a 3.5m
run to the 110 stack.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"matthelliwell" wrote in message
I've currently got two 40mm outflows from the current filter that are
just about ok but i'm pondering a bigger flow for the new filter. I
didn't realise you could get 50mm pipe easily, two of those should
give the same area as a 3" outlet, if I can squeeze them in.

2 x 50mm pipes would give you a 56% increase in area.
1 x 2½ inch pipe would give you a 26% increase
1 x 3 inch would give an increase of 81%

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

matthelliwell coughed up some electrons that declared:

I am however, getting confused with pipe sizes. Are the quoted sizes
(50mm or whatever) internal or external diameter? I assume they are
internal diameter and the external diameters vary between
manufacturers?

Thanks

Matt

Internal I think.

But - the pipes are generally made to one of two BS's - one for push fit and
the other for solvent weld.

Solvent weld comes in ABS (usually for dia = 50mm), sometimes uPVC(!) and
always uPVC for 50mm.

I'm not sure if you can solvent weld ABS to uPVC - but at that interface
it's usually been a rubber joint for me (32/40/50mm to 110mm adaptors).

Come to think of it - I did weld ABS to uPVC last week, but it was only dry
ducting for a water pipe, so not very important. Seemed to be firm
though...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

[...]

What I started out to say, was that pipes to the same BS are compatible
between makes, though you do noticed that sometimes one combination is
tighter than another...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 13:49:28 -0700, matthelliwell wrote:

The connectors aren't took expensive but as I'll be using several
meters of pipe and a few elbows does anyone have any cheaper
suggestions as to what pipes would be suitable. Ideally something I
can solvent weld or at least be sure won't leak.

Plastic rainwater pipe can be solvent welded and has a small range of
bends and couplings. And is cheap as chips.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

The rain, it rains upon the Just, and on the Unjust fella
But more upon the Just because the Unjust's got the Just's umbrella
Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 13:49:28 -0700, matthelliwell wrote:

The connectors aren't took expensive but as I'll be using several
meters of pipe and a few elbows does anyone have any cheaper
suggestions as to what pipes would be suitable. Ideally something I
can solvent weld or at least be sure won't leak.

Plastic rainwater pipe can be solvent welded and has a small range of
bends and couplings. And is cheap as chips.

Would you take any special precautions when burying it?

(I normally stick a bit of shingle around 110 and 82mm, but this is weaker
pipe - so sand maybe?)

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 June, 09:18, YAPH wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 13:49:28 -0700, matthelliwell wrote:
The connectors aren't took expensive but as I'll be using several
meters of pipe and a few elbows does anyone have any cheaper
suggestions as to what pipes would be suitable. Ideally something I
can solvent weld or at least be sure won't leak.

Plastic rainwater pipe can be solvent welded and has a small range of
bends and couplings. And is cheap as chips.

It is but will I be able to solvent weld the stuff to the tank
adaptors, does it even have a standard diameter?

The problem I've having now is working out exactly what pipe sizes can
be connected to http://www.koi-fish.co.uk/acatalog/info_KKFTC3.html.
Is a 90mm pipe going to weld onto it ok? or 3"? It all seems to be a
wierd mixture of metric and imperial.

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 June, 09:18, YAPH wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 13:49:28 -0700, matthelliwell wrote:
The connectors aren't took expensive but as I'll be using several
meters of pipe and a few elbows does anyone have any cheaper
suggestions as to what pipes would be suitable. Ideally something I
can solvent weld or at least be sure won't leak.

Plastic rainwater pipe can be solvent welded and has a small range of
bends and couplings. And is cheap as chips.

It is but will I be able to solvent weld the stuff to the tank
adaptors, does it even have a standard diameter?

The problem I've having now is working out exactly what pipe sizes can
be connected to http://www.koi-fish.co.uk/acatalog/info_KKFTC3.html.
Is a 90mm pipe going to weld onto it ok? or 3"? It all seems to be a
wierd mixture of metric and imperial.

Matt

Try these guys:

http://www.cdaquatics.co.uk/

They have an odd range of pipes - I had to use them as no-one else in the
entire universe seemed to stock solvent weld 82mm 135 degree bends for my
soil vent pipe...

I noticed they seem to have a lot of pipes for interconnecting big tanks.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 June, 21:49, matthelliwell wrote:

What I'm not sure about is the cheapest way to connect the pipes to
the barrels.

Wickes. They have a range of guttering diverters, barrel taps, barrel
linking kits. Very cheap too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"matthelliwell" wrote in message
On 25 June, 23:41, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:
[...]

Is class C some sort of special pressure pipe or does that just been
bog standard waste type pipe? Either way, at least I know what to
search for now!

British Standard PVC pipe comes in three grades - Class C, Class D an Class
E. Others are theoritically possible, but not made. Class C have the lowest
pressure rating and the thinnest wall. Class E has the thickest wall and is
the standard for industrial installations.

I am however, getting confused with pipe sizes. Are the quoted sizes
(50mm or whatever) internal or external diameter? I assume they are
internal diameter and the external diameters vary between
manufacturers?

Dimensions given in inches are the internal diameter of a wrought iron (up
to 2½") or cast iron pipe (3" and above). The external diameter of pipe in
those materials sets the external diameter of a BS pipe of the same size, as
it is necessary to be able to cut a BS Pipe thread on them.. The internal
diameter of BS pipes therefore varies according to the material and
pressure rating. Confusingly, some retailers nowadays refer to these pipes
by their nominal OD in millimetres.

White plastic waste pipe sizes are the notional internal diameter in
millimetres. However, they can vary in size according to manufacturer and
according to whether they are push-fit or solvent weld. Whereas BS pipe and
fittings of the same material can be freely mixed, with waste pipe, it is
important always to use the same make and type of pipe and fittings, or to
check that the bits you have mix properly.

Copper pipe is measured by its external diameter in millimetres.

Simple really :-)

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
What I started out to say, was that pipes to the same BS are compatible
between makes, though you do noticed that sometimes one combination is
tighter than another...

I find that identical items that fit together freely one day may be tight on
another. Talking to my pipe and fitting suppliers, I think it is a result of
different density PVC being used for different elements of the system and
having slightly different thermal expansion rates.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar coughed up some electrons that declared:

wrote:
[...]

Wonder how we got here... For most practical purposes, pipes are best known
by their OD seeing as that is the bit that has to marry the fitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that explanation, it is all making sense now. Now wonder I
was confused. My conclusion is I can't easily get all the fitting in
the sizes I want so I'll have to do some more. At least I know what
I'm looking for now and have some vague chance of getting bits which
fit together.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

For most practical purposes, you want to know what the capacity of the pipe
is, which why the bore was always the important measurement. Mind you, I
find a lot of plumbers don't know how to measure pipes. If I get an order
for a fly screen to fit, say, a 2½" pipe, unless I know the customer, I have
to check whether they really mean a 2½" pipe, or a 2" pipe, which has an OD
of near enough 2½"

http://www.norscreenfilters.co.uk/End_of_line_clamp.htm

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message

Wonder how we got here... For most practical purposes, pipes are best
known
by their OD seeing as that is the bit that has to marry the fitting.

For most practical purposes, you want to know what the capacity of the
pipe is, which why the bore was always the important measurement. Mind
you, I find a lot of plumbers don't know how to measure pipes. If I get an
order for a fly screen to fit, say, a 2½" pipe, unless I know the
customer, I have to check whether they really mean a 2½" pipe, or a 2"
pipe, which has an OD of near enough 2½"

http://www.norscreenfilters.co.uk/End_of_line_clamp.htm

Colin Bignell

I think this is perhaps the difference in the markets... In domestic land, I
feel fairly safe in believing that most people want to know if pipe X
connects to fitting Y. No-one's that fussed over a couple of mm (or a few
on bigger pipe) differences in ID.

But in industrial work, I take your point - especially WRT to factories,
chemical plants and the like.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 June, 11:18, Tim S wrote:
Try these guys:

http://www.cdaquatics.co.uk/

Placed my order with them yesterday. The various pipes and connectors
where about the same price as anywhere else I could find on line so I
ordered them along with the new air pump. No doubt I'll find I've
ordered the right size but wrong number of connectors but can't do
much about that.