Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SWA junction box

I need to join two lengths of 4mm armoured cable - above ground - in
fact I'll need three junction boxes in total.

I know I can get this sort of thing - https://tinyurl.com/yc37e53k - but
this is a favour for someone else and I want to try and keep costs down.
Any recommendations for cheaper IP66/67 boxes that will be robust and
durable enough, and which will be a good deal less that £60 in total?

I should add that this cable is to run along a garden border about a
foot off the ground.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Farmer Giles wrote:
I need to join two lengths of 4mm armoured cable - above ground - in
fact I'll need three junction boxes in total.

I know I can get this sort of thing - https://tinyurl.com/yc37e53k - but
this is a favour for someone else and I want to try and keep costs down.
Any recommendations for cheaper IP66/67 boxes that will be robust and
durable enough, and which will be a good deal less that £60 in total?

I should add that this cable is to run along a garden border about a
foot off the ground.

Anyway, after a few days' use of the old stuff, it would have
needed replacement just as much as new-bought stuff would.

Try:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufac...ded/index.html

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2020 10:03, charles wrote:
In article ,
Farmer Giles wrote:
I need to join two lengths of 4mm armoured cable - above ground - in
fact I'll need three junction boxes in total.

I know I can get this sort of thing - https://tinyurl.com/yc37e53k - but
this is a favour for someone else and I want to try and keep costs down.
Any recommendations for cheaper IP66/67 boxes that will be robust and
durable enough, and which will be a good deal less that £60 in total?

I should add that this cable is to run along a garden border about a
foot off the ground.

Anyway, after a few days' use of the old stuff, it would have
needed replacement just as much as new-bought stuff would.

Try:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufac...ded/index.html

Thanks for that. They look as if they would fit the bill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you are using the steel sheath as an earth with plastic adaptable boxes you will have to connect the glands together in each box. However if using a SWA with three conductors one being used as an earth then that is not necessary and you can probably be able to use cheaper stuffing glands with the adaptable boxes.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2020 13:08, Tricky Dicky wrote:
If you are using the steel sheath as an earth with plastic adaptable boxes you will have to connect the glands together in each box. However if using a SWA with three conductors one being used as an earth then that is not necessary and you can probably be able to use cheaper stuffing glands with the adaptable boxes.

Richard

Good point, and thank you. I haven't really checked the SWA yet, but
obviously I will do before I order anything. All I know at the moment is
that it's 4mm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:

If you are using the steel sheath as an earth with plastic adaptable
boxes you will have to connect the glands together in each box.

Wiska have optional earth bar kits available for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 June 2020 13:08:37 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
If you are using the steel sheath as an earth with plastic adaptable boxes you will have to connect the glands together in each box. However if using a SWA with three conductors one being used as an earth then that is not necessary and you can probably be able to use cheaper stuffing glands with the adaptable boxes.

I thought the armour always had to be earthed, whether it was also being used as the circuit protective conductor?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 27/06/2020 09:30, Farmer Giles wrote:
I need to join two lengths of 4mm armoured cable - above groundÂ* - in
fact I'll need three junction boxes in total.

I know I can get this sort of thing - https://tinyurl.com/yc37e53k - but
this is a favour for someone else and I want to try and keep costs down.
Any recommendations for cheaper IP66/67 boxes that will be robust and
durable enough, and which will be a good deal less that £60 in total?

I should add that this cable is to run along a garden border about a
foot off the ground.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/25mm-2-wa...uit-box/26876?

plus lid, gasket, screws and outdoor gland pack.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2020 13:08, Tricky Dicky wrote:

If you are using the steel sheath as an earth with plastic adaptable
boxes you will have to connect the glands together in each box.

Yes.

However if using a SWA with three conductors one being used as an
earth then that is not necessary and you can probably be able to use
cheaper stuffing glands with the adaptable boxes.

No, the armour must always be earthed - that is kind of the point of SWA
- if you do manage to damage the cable, its difficult to do in a big way
without shorting the armour to the core.

What you really want is the circuit protective device(s) to notice this
event, and turn off the power. Not have a live core make the armour and
any attached metalwork live instead!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Farmer Giles wrote:
I need to join two lengths of 4mm armoured cable - above ground - in
fact I'll need three junction boxes in total.

I know I can get this sort of thing - https://tinyurl.com/yc37e53k - but
this is a favour for someone else and I want to try and keep costs down.
Any recommendations for cheaper IP66/67 boxes that will be robust and
durable enough, and which will be a good deal less that £60 in total?

I should add that this cable is to run along a garden border about a
foot off the ground.

Anyway, after a few days' use of the old stuff, it would have
needed replacement just as much as new-bought stuff would.

Try:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufac...ded/index.html

Yup, I quite like those...

For a "straight through" join, the metal conduit boxes make gland to
gland earth continuity a bit easier though, and are very robust.

(he will need three sets of glands as well - probably 20s for 2 core
SWA, or 20 for 3 core).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Â*Â*Â* Farmer Giles wrote:
[...]

3 core 4mm uses a 20s.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* Farmer Giles wrote:
[...]

Yup could be - I have seen conflicting info on that. Our table :

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...WA#Gland_Sizes

has it as 20 for three core, but many manufacturers sites say 20s will
still fit.

We probably should update our table.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Â*Â*Â* Farmer Giles wrote:
[...]

And end up as accurate as the cleat size recommendations that
manufacturers use?

The only use for black insulation tape is to pack out the SWA when the
cleats are too big.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2020 18:43, ARW wrote:
On 27/06/2020 09:30, Farmer Giles wrote:
I need to join two lengths of 4mm armoured cable - above groundÂ* - in
fact I'll need three junction boxes in total.

I know I can get this sort of thing - https://tinyurl.com/yc37e53k -
but this is a favour for someone else and I want to try and keep costs
down. Any recommendations for cheaper IP66/67 boxes that will be
robust and durable enough, and which will be a good deal less that £60
in total?

I should add that this cable is to run along a garden border about a
foot off the ground.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/25mm-2-wa...uit-box/26876?

plus lid, gasket, screws and outdoor gland pack.

Wouldn't they be difficult to seal completely? And,in my experience,
galvanised fittings always rust around the threads.

I know that they wouldn't be quite as robust, but wouldn't strong
plastic boxes be better overall?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 June 2020 04:19:56 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
The only use for black insulation tape is to pack out the SWA when the
cleats are too big.

Offcuts of sheath would be less likely to creep under pressure, and save buying insulation tape.

Owain