Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default SWA junction box

On 28/06/2020 01:51, John Rumm wrote:
On 27/06/2020 22:07, ARW wrote:
On 27/06/2020 21:03, John Rumm wrote:
On 27/06/2020 10:03, charles wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Farmer Giles wrote:
I need to join two lengths of 4mm armoured cable - above groundÂ* - in
fact I'll need three junction boxes in total.

I know I can get this sort of thing - https://tinyurl.com/yc37e53k
- but
this is a favour for someone else and I want to try and keep costs
down.
Any recommendations for cheaper IP66/67 boxes that will be robust and
durable enough, and which will be a good deal less that £60 in total?

I should add that this cable is to run along a garden border about a
foot off the ground.

Anyway, after a few days' use of the old stuff, it would have
needed replacement just as much as new-bought stuff would.

Try:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufac...ded/index.html

Yup, I quite like those...

For a "straight through" join, the metal conduit boxes make gland to
gland earth continuity a bit easier though, and are very robust.

(he will need three sets of glands as well - probably 20s for 2 core
SWA, or 20 for 3 core).

3 core 4mm uses a 20s.

Yup could be - I have seen conflicting info on that. Our table :

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...WA#Gland_Sizes

has it as 20 for three core, but many manufacturers sites say 20s will
still fit.

We probably should update our table.

And end up as accurate as the cleat size recommendations that
manufacturers use?

The only use for black insulation tape is to pack out the SWA when the
cleats are too big.

--
Adam