Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default use exterior socket as junction box for SWA ?

I will (eventually) be installing an exterior socket and SWA to a
shed. Do exterior double sockets have enough space inside to double as
a junction box (rear entry TWE, bottom entry SWA) ?
(Cannot really take SWA through wall as it will be installed at a
later date when kitchen units are in the way)
Comining the two could look rather neat.
Or do I need a junction box and socket (tucking the junction box under
the socket I would guess) ?
Cheers,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
I will (eventually) be installing an exterior socket and SWA to a
shed. Do exterior double sockets have enough space inside to double as
a junction box (rear entry TWE, bottom entry SWA) ?
(Cannot really take SWA through wall as it will be installed at a
later date when kitchen units are in the way)
Comining the two could look rather neat.
Or do I need a junction box and socket (tucking the junction box under
the socket I would guess) ?

They usually have lots of space.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 3:00*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/04/2011 13:39, sm_jamieson wrote:

I will (eventually) be installing an exterior socket and SWA to a
shed. Do exterior double sockets have enough space inside to double as
a junction box (rear entry TWE, bottom entry SWA) ?

Yup, I do it that way often. If you are going to screw a box to the
wall, it might as well be of some other benefit!

(Cannot really take SWA through wall as it will be installed at a
later date when kitchen units are in the way)

No need - its well protected by a lump of masonry ;-)

Comining the two could look rather neat.
Or do I need a junction box and socket (tucking the junction box under
the socket I would guess) ?

Nope.

The only observation I would make is that if you go for the MK ones,
they don't usually have enough room for use of the Piranha style earth
termination nuts that I am quite fond of.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...iranhna_Earth_...

I tend to use this range:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...cs_Index/Weath...

on the grounds that they have loads of room in the backbox. They are
easier to open - especially in the cold (you squeeze the lugs at the
bottom of the "point" together which is much easier on the hands than
the MK style where you need to push a couple of lugs up - which IME
results in the thing eventually snapping open and reliving your fingers
of a layer of skin! They also have 20mm holes top and bottom pre drilled
with blanking grommets in place.

Note you can sometimes find them on ebay for less than TLCs price.

--

Just to confirm, did you mean the Aquatec 56 ones or the Powerseal
ones ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 1:43*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

They usually have lots of space.

Not the Aquatec ones, IMHE. I'd never use those again, even for a
spur in T&E