Posted to alt.home.repair

Default exterior stain over exterior paint?

I'm going to be restaining my siding this summer. But the trim
appears to have been mostly finished with paint instead of stain. Can
I paint over this with stain instead of paint? Would I have to scrape
it down to the wood to do so?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 5:03*am, wrote:
I'm going to be restaining my siding this summer. *But the trim
appears to have been mostly finished with paint instead of stain. *Can
I paint over this with stain instead of paint? *Would I have to scrape
it down to the wood to do so?

It's common for the trim to be painted, while the rest is stained,
particularly if the trim is a different color. Mu house, the cedar
is stained blue, the trim is painted white.

If you want to, you could probably put a solid stain over paint, but
certainly NOT a transparent stain. Read the label, which should
tell you what surfaces it's suitable for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 5:03 am, wrote:
I'm going to be restaining my siding this summer. But the trim
appears to have been mostly finished with paint instead of stain. Can
I paint over this with stain instead of paint? Would I have to scrape
it down to the wood to do so?

I managed a Benjamin Moore Paint Store and I am a "professional house
painter".
I would recommend that you paint the trim. If it has been painted
with a semi-gloss which most exterior trim is, a solid body stain (a
good suggestion though) may not stick to it. It's like painting Latex
over oil.

Be on the safe side.

Don K.