Posted to alt.home.repair
cadguy2 cadguy2 is offline

Default exterior stain over exterior paint?

On May 10, 5:03 am, wrote:
I'm going to be restaining my siding this summer. But the trim
appears to have been mostly finished with paint instead of stain. Can
I paint over this with stain instead of paint? Would I have to scrape
it down to the wood to do so?

I managed a Benjamin Moore Paint Store and I am a "professional house
painter".
I would recommend that you paint the trim. If it has been painted
with a semi-gloss which most exterior trim is, a solid body stain (a
good suggestion though) may not stick to it. It's like painting Latex
over oil.

Be on the safe side.

Don K.