Default Black stain on exterior oak door

I have a wooden exterior door on my house (oak). I stained the door
and then put an exterior polyurethane sealant on it (5 coats).
Moisture must have gotten under the sealant because some black stains
have appeared under the sealant, to the point where it must be redone.

I'm in the process of stripping the polyurethane and that's going
pretty well.

My questions a

Once the sealant is off, does the door have to be sanded down to the
bare wood (remove all the natural oak stain that I originally applied?

How to remove the black stains?

What to reseal it with?

Any suggestions?

Stephen

P.S. We are in Florida, near the ocean (not the greatest location for
a wood door, but several neighbors have them, and they've been able to
have a wood door, as long as it was well sealed?

I have a wooden exterior door on my house (oak). I stained the door
and then put an exterior polyurethane sealant on it (5 coats).
Moisture must have gotten under the sealant because some black stains
have appeared under the sealant, to the point where it must be

redone.

Red oak or white? Red Oak is porous and prone to rot and mildew.

There are at least wo kinds of wood bleach on the market. One is
oxalic acid, the other is a two-part bleach using sodium hydroxied
and hydrogen peroxide. I've tried both on red oak. The oxalic acid
didn't seem to do anything, the two-part bleach worked OK.

Shellac is reputed to be the best base coat to use as a moisture
barrier so that may be your best bet after you are down to bare wood.
For the best results it should be mixed fresh from flakes, see
http;//www.shellac.net. For second best results using pre-mixed
shellac check the date on the bottom of the can and use the freshest
you can find. If you use the 3 lb shellac from the can thin it
about 2:1 shellac to alcohol. Use dewaxed shellac.

Then you can go over the shellaced door with a good exterior
varnish.

Good luck.

--

FF

I have a wooden exterior door on my house (oak). I stained the

door
and then put an exterior polyurethane sealant on it (5 coats).
Moisture must have gotten under the sealant because some black

stains
have appeared under the sealant, to the point where it must be

redone.

Red oak or white? Red Oak is porous and prone to rot and mildew.

White oak.

There are at least wo kinds of wood bleach on the market. One is
oxalic acid, the other is a two-part bleach using sodium hydroxied
and hydrogen peroxide. I've tried both on red oak. The oxalic acid
didn't seem to do anything, the two-part bleach worked OK.

So you're saying that it would be better to go with a bleaching product
made specifically for wood.

My guess is that I'd have to apply it to the whole door, otherwise the
part where the stain was bleached would appear a different color, no?

Shellac is reputed to be the best base coat to use as a moisture
barrier so that may be your best bet after you are down to bare wood.

When you say down to bare wood, do you mean sanding off the stain, as
well. I've been able to get the polyurethane off using a poly
remover,and scraping it down. The wood still has the color that I
stained onto it when I began. I can only think that to get that color
off, I have to totally sand down the entire door. Is that necessary?
I just want to know. I will do what is required.

I have a wooden exterior door on my house (oak). I stained the
door
and then put an exterior polyurethane sealant on it (5 coats).
Moisture must have gotten under the sealant because some black

stains
have appeared under the sealant, to the point where it must be

redone.

I'm in the process of stripping the polyurethane and that's going
pretty well.

My questions a

Once the sealant is off, does the door have to be sanded down to

the
bare wood (remove all the natural oak stain that I originally

applied?

No, and it would be impossible w/ porous oak anyway unless you take

off
an inordinate amount of material

OK. thanks.

How to remove the black stains?

Oxalic acid (deck cleaner)...

I would apply it to the stains only, or the entire outside face.

What to reseal it with?

Good quality exterior spar varnish...

Don't say where the staining occurred so can't do more than

conjecture
on cause.

The stains were mostly on the lower half of the exterior, across the
entire bottom of the door, and near where a kickplate would go. The
door is covered by a portico so the top part is sheltered.

It did get a lot of exposure during the hurricanes last fall, so
seawater/rain/wind probably played a good part in all of it.
(We would have covered the door, but we weren't here.

Thanks for the tips.

If the black stains are oxidation from metal, which can be dust from
the grinder, to nails, lemon juice works well. Apply to the stain, and
let it sit, sometimes you have to leave it on overnight, and/or do
multiple applications.
robo hippy

How to remove the black stains?

Oxalic acid (deck cleaner)...

I would apply it to the stains only, or the entire outside face.

Try it...probably will want to do the whole door to even it out. If

is
effective against the particular stain (and I suspect it will be), it
will probably be fairly easy to get a reasonably good match.

Just wanted to say thanks to all who posted their responses.
The oxalic acid worked great and the door came back better than
I thought it would. I applied it to the entire door. It did lighten
the color somewhat, plus the sun bleached it over the past year,
so I do plan on restaining it before resealing.

Thanks again.

Stephen

The stains were mostly on the lower half of the exterior, across

the
entire bottom of the door, and near where a kickplate would go.

The
door is covered by a portico so the top part is sheltered.

It did get a lot of exposure during the hurricanes last fall, so
seawater/rain/wind probably played a good part in all of it.
(We would have covered the door, but we weren't here.

Probably a good plan/decision...

I'd say if it wasn't stained significantly prior to that time your
surmise is correct--the strong wind essentially did an accelerated

aging
test.

Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
Wayne Dalton Torquemaster and iDrive self-Install (Long) Scott Home Repair 3 March 2nd 05 03:34 AM
microwave door replacement [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 14th 05 04:40 AM
acid stain concrete WHoME? Home Repair 8 August 5th 04 03:05 AM
refrigerator door gakset Bob Urz Home Repair 10 May 13th 04 03:31 PM