Bob Urz

Default refrigerator door gakset

I have a twenty year old 17.5 c' whirlpool refrigerator. The door gasket
was getting torn. So, i went down to my local appliance parts house and
got a door gasket for it. Was a big pain in the ass to put on.
Now, the door does not want to close and seal like it used to.

I can tell the magnetic pull of the new gasket is not as strong as the
old one. I compared the new one to the freezer door which is original.
Is there a problem with these aftermarket door gaskets (FSP)? Has anyone
done this kind of repair and had a problem?

Bob

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bob Urz" wrote in message
I have a twenty year old 17.5 c' whirlpool refrigerator. The door gasket
was getting torn. So, i went down to my local appliance parts house and
got a door gasket for it. Was a big pain in the ass to put on.
Now, the door does not want to close and seal like it used to.

I can tell the magnetic pull of the new gasket is not as strong as the
old one.

The amount of pull is not important as long as you are getting a good seal.
Put a piece of paper in the area that closes and pull it out. As long as
you are getting some resistance it is giving a good seal.

BTW, it is nice to keep old appliances running instead of scrapping them,
but it is probably costing you about $15 a month more in electricity
compared to a new one. Be sure to consider that if you need an expensive
repair.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Tom

"Bob Urz" wrote in message
I have a twenty year old 17.5 c' whirlpool refrigerator. The door gasket
was getting torn. So, i went down to my local appliance parts house and
got a door gasket for it. Was a big pain in the ass to put on.
Now, the door does not want to close and seal like it used to.

I can tell the magnetic pull of the new gasket is not as strong as the
old one. I compared the new one to the freezer door which is original.
Is there a problem with these aftermarket door gaskets (FSP)? Has anyone
done this kind of repair and had a problem?

Bob

It's possible the gasket is binding a little on the hinge side. Try
spraying some wax like Pledge on the gasket and the box edge to allow the
gasket to slip into place easier.

TURTLE

"Bob Urz" wrote in message ...
I have a twenty year old 17.5 c' whirlpool refrigerator. The door gasket
was getting torn. So, i went down to my local appliance parts house and
got a door gasket for it. Was a big pain in the ass to put on.
Now, the door does not want to close and seal like it used to.

I can tell the magnetic pull of the new gasket is not as strong as the
old one. I compared the new one to the freezer door which is original.
Is there a problem with these aftermarket door gaskets (FSP)? Has anyone
done this kind of repair and had a problem?

Bob

This is Turtle.

When you put a new door gasket on it. You probley have a different thickiness from the old one and you will have to adjust the door
hinges to account for the thicker or thinner door gasket. This is common on refrigerators and freezers with new door gaskets. Now if
you just keep using the door a good bit. In about a year or two you will mash the new gasket into the space set by the door to the
point of it fitting in the old door gasket space. You can speed this process up by adjusting the door hinges to make it close
correctly now.

TURTLE

---

jeff

Bob Urz wrote in message ...

Hi,

I have a twenty year old 17.5 c' whirlpool refrigerator. The door gasket
was getting torn. So, i went down to my local appliance parts house and
got a door gasket for it. Was a big pain in the ass to put on.
Now, the door does not want to close and seal like it used to.

I can tell the magnetic pull of the new gasket is not as strong as the
old one.

Some gaskets have magnets on 4 sides and some are only on 3
sides.....is your gasket a 3 or 4 magnet one as it is important to
have the non-magnet side on the hinge side.

I compared the new one to the freezer door which is original.
Is there a problem with these aftermarket door gaskets (FSP)?

FSP is Factory Specifies Parts....that is an Whilpool/Inglis brand
name.

Has anyone
done this kind of repair and had a problem?

There is always some kinda problem....gasket is folded in the box, the
door twists when you undo the screws, etc.....some gasket changing
tips....
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig-doors.html#gasket

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Don Young

On many units the door itself is very flexible when the inner panel is
removed. When you reinstall the inner panel you need to leave the screws
barely snug and twist the door so the top and bottom close at the same time,
then tighten the screws. Lots of good advice in the other posts.

Don Young

"Bob Urz" wrote in message
I have a twenty year old 17.5 c' whirlpool refrigerator. The door gasket
was getting torn. So, i went down to my local appliance parts house and
got a door gasket for it. Was a big pain in the ass to put on.
Now, the door does not want to close and seal like it used to.

I can tell the magnetic pull of the new gasket is not as strong as the
old one. I compared the new one to the freezer door which is original.
Is there a problem with these aftermarket door gaskets (FSP)? Has anyone
done this kind of repair and had a problem?

Bob

Bob Urz

TURTLE wrote:
"Bob Urz" wrote in message ...

[...]

Interesting theory, but i am not sure how to apply it. On this unit with
the freezer on the top, there is a common hinge in the middle for the
freezer and the fridge door. The only adjustment possible i can see
would be to shim out the whole mount from the main body. And since i did
not replace the gasket on the freezer, this may cause it not to seal as
well.

This is the first gasket i have done, and i did learn a few things.
One: never pull it straight our of the box in its crunched up state and
put it straight on. I should have got the gasket out and let it form
out to its natural size before installing it.

I have a feeling this gasket is not a 100% duplicate of the original.
As many replacement parts are. I got this on at one of my appliance
parts houses. Whether a original Whirlpool door gasket would have bee
any different is debatable.

And to the guy who said i could save some more money on energy on a
newer unit, yes, your probably right. But when i have a good old solid
unit i hate to get rid of it.

I helped my 85 year old dad clean out his kenmore window air unit last
weekend. It had not been cleaned our in many years. Its probably 30
years old +. (has a mashu****a compressor in it). Its beat up, but still
cools fine. I wonder if those new china made units would make it 3
years? They look like junk to me. And turtle, there was a big muffler
or accumulator on this one.

Bob

TURTLE

"Bob Urz" wrote in message ...

TURTLE wrote:
"Bob Urz" wrote in message ...

[...]

It will help to put the door gasket in a tub of hot water before puting it on the door.

Now the middle hing being common to both door. You just have to work with it and you can adjust it out.

Now the compressor having a Muffler on it. If you look ,it is on the suction line, and not on the discharge line. Most all Rotory
Compressor will have a Muffler on the Suction line [ not the discharge line ] entering the compressor for some reason. Mufflers on
the discharge line is not very common but on the suction line of the rotory compressor it is very common.

TURTLE

---

Bob Urz

xrongor wrote:

i say give it a week to 'settle' before doing much of anything.

randy

Its been on a month. I have tried loosening up the screws and letting
the door set and then tightening them again. It just does not seem to
help long term.

Now, the old gasket had like two folds in it, where the new gasket
seemed to have only one. I am still suspicious that the new FSP gasket
is thicker, does not give as much and has a weaker magnet.
ANd it does have magnets on all four sides.

I will have to think about the shims. I will have to check to see if the
appliance repair parts house has them. I don't have time to fab them
while all my food is defrosting....

Bob

Dave Harnish

Bob,

I missed your original post ('don't pass this way often enough),
but gaskets can be shimmed with strips of ordinary, corrugated
cardboard, glued in place with silicone caulk. Bad gaps, usually
in the corners, will often need a two layer 'stack' of these.

If you're having trouble properly 'warping' the door, loosen the
screws so they're just 'snug', and twist the door so the handle side
reveal is the same at top & bottom, then *carefully* tighten the
screws, the corners first. Some doors are really hard to get to stay
in place as you do this, especially those with no metal retainer strips.

Seal wrinkles are caused by shipping seals in those small boxes,
and can be really hard to remove. (One of my dreams for the last
32 years has been that manufacturers ship door seals in door-sized
boxes, eliminating these wrinkle problems). Putting shims at the
worst gaps will allow the magnets to pull the gasket in over time.
Takes several weeks in most cases, and you have to keep your eye
on them.

One of the tricks I've used on wrinkles for many years is throwing
the new seal into the clothes dryer. While stripping off the top half
of the original, I tumble the new seal for 4-5 minutes (no longer!)
on high heat. Really makes a difference in straightning out the
wrinkles. Can also be soaked in hot water in the bathtub, but it's
messier.

And - most importantly - don't forget to lube the hinge side of the new
seal. Vaseline(tm) works best, and this will add at least ten years of life
to the seals. Keeps them from twisting and tearing on that side, the
#1 cause of failure. I remember when refrigerators used to have this
done at the factory, at least the Frigidaires. They stopped in the mid-70's.
I think that's when they realized how may more door seals they could
sell by *not* lubing them grin. More he

http://www.DavesRepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYrefseallube.htm

PS - be thankful your refrig *has* screws holding the seals. New ones
don't, and that makes occasional lubrication very important in the long
haul.

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what
I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter.
(Back issues now posted here too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

John 3:3