DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   exterior stain over exterior paint? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/277606-exterior-stain-over-exterior-paint.html)

[email protected] May 10th 09 10:03 AM

exterior stain over exterior paint?

I'm going to be restaining my siding this summer. But the trim
appears to have been mostly finished with paint instead of stain. Can
I paint over this with stain instead of paint? Would I have to scrape
it down to the wood to do so?

[email protected] May 10th 09 01:25 PM

On May 10, 5:03*am, wrote:
I'm going to be restaining my siding this summer. *But the trim
appears to have been mostly finished with paint instead of stain. *Can
I paint over this with stain instead of paint? *Would I have to scrape
it down to the wood to do so?

It's common for the trim to be painted, while the rest is stained,
particularly if the trim is a different color. Mu house, the cedar
is stained blue, the trim is painted white.

If you want to, you could probably put a solid stain over paint, but
certainly NOT a transparent stain. Read the label, which should
tell you what surfaces it's suitable for.

cadguy2 May 10th 09 07:36 PM

On May 10, 5:03 am, wrote:
I'm going to be restaining my siding this summer. But the trim
appears to have been mostly finished with paint instead of stain. Can
I paint over this with stain instead of paint? Would I have to scrape
it down to the wood to do so?

I managed a Benjamin Moore Paint Store and I am a "professional house
painter".
I would recommend that you paint the trim. If it has been painted
with a semi-gloss which most exterior trim is, a solid body stain (a
good suggestion though) may not stick to it. It's like painting Latex
over oil.

Be on the safe side.

Don K.