Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default loblite aquatec 56 socket / junction to SWA

I've got the aquatec 56 double exterior socket fitted and wired through conduit from inside the house via 2.5mm TWE. The idea was to also use it as a junction box to some 4 or 6mm SWA (prob 6 for volage drop) for a shed - earth to be exported about 20 metres. So I have a separately switched 4mm TWE cable (minus the outer jacket) waiting behind the right hand socket. SWA will be connected later on in the year, by which time the wiring inside the house will be inaccessible.
The box is reasonably spacious but obviously it will all be a bit tight.
I moved as much gubbins as possible behind the left hand socket to get as much space for connection as possible behind the right, but a 32A choc block will still not fit behind the wired up socket.
I think the only option will be to crimp the cable. Live and neutral will be 4mm to 6mm, so OK in the yellow crimp. Earth connection would be more tricky - 2 x 1.5mm on one side (I've paralleled the TWE earths from the socket and SWA circuits which are 2.5mm TWE and 4mm TWE respectively), and on the other side 6mm + a wire from the armour via a piranha nut. I could however possibly use 2 core SWA and just the armour for an earth.

I could maybe use a single choc block terminal for the earth and crimp the rest.
Or possibly a cut up choc block would fit for all the connections (the choc block terminals are thinner when turned sideways).

Then I thought I could have a blanking plate over one half to give lots of space and only have one working socket, which would be fine. However, a blanking plate does not seem to be available for this socket.

Any ideas for the best way to connect in such a tight space ?
I think it was John (Rumm) who used the socket in this way before.

Cheers,
Simon.

BT Junction Box Tim Watts[_2_] UK diy 7 September 2nd 11 10:27 PM
use exterior socket as junction box for SWA ? sm_jamieson UK diy 3 April 20th 11 09:30 PM
Finding BT master junction/socket eastender[_3_] UK diy 19 March 27th 09 12:04 AM
30amp junction box fyfie UK diy 7 January 4th 07 09:20 PM
Spur for boiler needed - Via junction box or socket? [email protected] UK diy 10 June 1st 05 08:42 AM