Chuck

Default Romex in crawl space no junction box/outlet box etc

Someone tapped into romex ( which supplies power to living space wall
outlet) to power a light fixture (bare bulb, grounded outlet and box)
in crawl space. This is exposed romex running under floor joists.
At the connection there are wire nuts but this is not contained in a
junction box. Should it be? Is it a safety issue?

I would put one there anyway just for neatness, but romex has very
little slack and I doubt that I could get it into a junction box
without making another connection, with more romex (which I do already
have) and yet another junction box..
Thanks..
Chuck
Matt Morgan

SEVERE SAFETY ISSUE.

Do as you suggest.

toller

"Matt Morgan" wrote in message
. ..
SEVERE SAFETY ISSUE.

Do as you suggest.

I'll second that.
I know someone who had a reputable HVAC company put in his new furnace last
year. They left the electrical connection just hanging in the air.
Unbelievable.

Matt Morgan

ROFL.

You aren't talking about the company that put mine new system in, are you?

Exposed romex splice, sitting right in the joist space.

Tech told me it would never hurt anything.

Unbelievable.

ameijers

"Matt Morgan" wrote in message
ROFL.

You aren't talking about the company that put mine new system in, are you?

Exposed romex splice, sitting right in the joist space.

Tech told me it would never hurt anything.

Unbelievable.

Just had a similar discussion with my brother in law, about why, YES, the
forgotten romex clamps were needed on the can lights he was installing, even
though 'nobody would ever be in that attic dead space tugging on the wires.'
Yes, the odds are it would probably be fine, but if one person adding
another light 20 years from now tugged too hard on the wire, it could cause
a fire, and that is why code requires strain reliefs and enclosed junctions.

As soon as I said that the inspector at resale time would notice the lights
when he went into attic, my sister volunteered to drive back to the big-box.

aem sends....

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"toller" wrote in message

"Matt Morgan" wrote in message
. ..
SEVERE SAFETY ISSUE.

Do as you suggest.

I'll second that.
I know someone who had a reputable HVAC company put in his new furnace

last
year. They left the electrical connection just hanging in the air.
Unbelievable.

Now see...this is why our state has issued a special electrical licence for
HVAC companies, and without one, no company can make ANY electrical
connections as in a final hookup with out a licenced electrician, and
permits and inspections.

Sad...you should have called them back and raised pure hell till someone got
out there and made it right.
That is what is called hack work....reputable company or not.

did they pull permits and get inspections? if so, you have leverage with the
local inspectors office now...

Chuck

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:59:44 GMT, "toller" wrote:

"Matt Morgan" wrote in message
SEVERE SAFETY ISSUE.

Do as you suggest.

I'll second that.
I know someone who had a reputable HVAC company put in his new furnace last
year. They left the electrical connection just hanging in the air.
Unbelievable.

Thanks guys..
They talk about the DIY'ers ,,, but lots of times the PRO's have
judgement lapses.
Chuck
Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Chuck" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:59:44 GMT, "toller" wrote:

"Matt Morgan" wrote in message
SEVERE SAFETY ISSUE.

Do as you suggest.

I'll second that.
I know someone who had a reputable HVAC company put in his new furnace

last
year. They left the electrical connection just hanging in the air.
Unbelievable.

Thanks guys..
They talk about the DIY'ers ,,, but lots of times the PRO's have
judgement lapses.
Chuck

If they left it like that, that was no pro..

I ask again, did they pull permits and inspections?
if so, then you have the power to make it right, both at the company level
and at the inspectors.
if not.
You got what you paid for....it worked, but without a permit and
inspection...well..it wasnt a pro that installed it, unless you want to call
him a professional hack.