Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixings into concrete fence post

I'm planning to hang a pair of wooden garden gates between the house wall on one side and a concrete fence post on the other. The hinge posts (i.e. the wooden post fixed to both the wall and the fence post) will be 70mm square and approx 1.7m high hardwood. I'm thinking of 4 fixings for each post. Any suggestions re the type and size of plugs/screws?

Yes, I understand about the problems drilling into concrete fence posts. I don't have an SDS drill but could probably borrow one or hire one if absolutely necessary.

It's the type and size of fixing that I'm not certain about.

TIA
Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2020 19:32, petek wrote:
I'm planning to hang a pair of wooden garden gates between the house wall on one side and a concrete fence post on the other. The hinge posts (i.e. the wooden post fixed to both the wall and the fence post) will be 70mm square and approx 1.7m high hardwood. I'm thinking of 4 fixings for each post. Any suggestions re the type and size of plugs/screws?

Yes, I understand about the problems drilling into concrete fence posts. I don't have an SDS drill but could probably borrow one or hire one if absolutely necessary.

It's the type and size of fixing that I'm not certain about.

TIA
Pete

If you drill anywhere near the edge the concrete will shell off.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/20 19:32, petek wrote:
I'm planning to hang a pair of wooden garden gates between the house wall on one side and a concrete fence post on the other. The hinge posts (i.e. the wooden post fixed to both the wall and the fence post) will be 70mm square and approx 1.7m high hardwood. I'm thinking of 4 fixings for each post. Any suggestions re the type and size of plugs/screws?

Yes, I understand about the problems drilling into concrete fence posts. I don't have an SDS drill but could probably borrow one or hire one if absolutely necessary.

It's the type and size of fixing that I'm not certain about.

Have you thought of using clamps like the ones shown he
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Postfix-Slotted-Concrete-Fence-Brackets/dp/B00AD8EVEU
(I know it says "currently unavailable", but you might be able to get
them elsewhere.)

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 9:09:49 PM UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
Also, is it reinforced by rebar rods inside? Avoiding hitting those is a
very good suggestion. Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"williamwright" wrote in message
On 13/05/2020 19:32, petek wrote:
I'm planning to hang a pair of wooden garden gates between the house wall
on one side and a concrete fence post on the other. The hinge posts (i..e.
the wooden post fixed to both the wall and the fence post) will be 70mm
square and approx 1.7m high hardwood. I'm thinking of 4 fixings for each
post. Any suggestions re the type and size of plugs/screws?

Yes, I understand about the problems drilling into concrete fence posts.
I don't have an SDS drill but could probably borrow one or hire one if
absolutely necessary.

It's the type and size of fixing that I'm not certain about.

TIA
Pete

If you drill anywhere near the edge the concrete will shell off.

Bill

As I said, I understand the problems with drilling in concrete fence posts. I can't guarantee what this post is like (my neighbour had it put up a couple of months ago) but as I understand it the rebar is usually in the corners where the section is considerably thinner. I'm intending to drill in the middle of the post, or slightly off centre alternately to give some resistance to twist. I have seen various clamps but I'm not too keen and would like something more permanent.
So.... again as I said, what type and size of plugs/screws? Masonry screws? Frame fixings? Ordinary rawlplug and woodscrew (and if so what length/diameter)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

petek Wrote in message:
I'm planning to hang a pair of wooden garden gates between the house wall on one side and a concrete fence post on the other. The hinge posts (i.e. the wooden post fixed to both the wall and the fence post) will be 70mm square and approx 1.7m high hardwood. I'm thinking of 4 fixings for each post. Any suggestions re the type and size of plugs/screws?

Yes, I understand about the problems drilling into concrete fence posts. I don't have an SDS drill but could probably borrow one or hire one if absolutely necessary.

It's the type and size of fixing that I'm not certain about.

TIA
Pete

How well concreted in is the fence post?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2020 22:18, petek wrote:

So.... again as I said, what type and size of plugs/screws? Masonry screws? Frame fixings? Ordinary rawlplug and woodscrew (and if so what length/diameter)?

Well, nothing special. I'd be drilling 10mm holes, using blue plugs, and
No 10 screws.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to petek, Stupot wrote:
I would not trust plugs and screws. Drill right through and use M10 stainless
steel bolts with washers. If you are confident enough of your measuring, drill
from both sides into the middle to avoid an unsightly, ragged exit hole.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...t-1430926-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2020 22:18, petek wrote:

As I said, I understand the problems with drilling in concrete fence posts. I can't guarantee what this post is like (my neighbour had it put up a couple of months ago) but as I understand it the rebar is usually in the corners where the section is considerably thinner. I'm intending to drill in the middle of the post, or slightly off centre alternately to give some resistance to twist. I have seen various clamps but I'm not too keen and would like something more permanent.
So.... again as I said, what type and size of plugs/screws? Masonry screws? Frame fixings? Ordinary rawlplug and woodscrew (and if so what length/diameter)?

I'd consult with the neighbour before stuffing up his post.
YMMV
Posted to uk.d-i-y

petek Wrote in message:
I'm planning to hang a pair of wooden garden gates between the house wall on one side and a concrete fence post on the other. The hinge posts (i.e. the wooden post fixed to both the wall and the fence post) will be 70mm square and approx 1.7m high hardwood. I'm thinking of 4 fixings for each post. Any suggestions re the type and size of plugs/screws?

Yes, I understand about the problems drilling into concrete fence posts. I don't have an SDS drill but could probably borrow one or hire one if absolutely necessary.

It's the type and size of fixing that I'm not certain about.

TIA
Pete

How well is the concrete post concreted in?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most of the concrete posts I've ever used have several holes already and one
simply uses long galvanised bolts and nuts to secure the wood.

Brian

+1 bolt through rather than expansion fittings or rawlplugs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2020 10:51, Robert wrote:
Most of the concrete posts I've ever used have several holes already
and one
simply uses long galvanised bolts and nuts to secure the wood.

Brian

+1 bolt through rather than expansion fittings or rawlplugs.

It's not his post. The only way to do it is, after agreeing
with neighbour who owns the post, clamp a length of treated
4*2 or 3*1.5 to the concrete with stainless steel jubilee
clips. Then fix your gate hinges on your own wall, and use
the post/timber combo as a gate stop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anchor resin. Drill oversize, blow out dust with some tube, squirt in the resin and push in some threaded bar of appropriate size. Support while setting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 7:32:16 PM UTC+1, petek wrote:
I'm planning to hang a pair of wooden garden gates between the house wall on one side and a concrete fence post on the other. The hinge posts (i.e. the wooden post fixed to both the wall and the fence post) will be 70mm square and approx 1.7m high hardwood. I'm thinking of 4 fixings for each post. Any suggestions re the type and size of plugs/screws?

Yes, I understand about the problems drilling into concrete fence posts. I don't have an SDS drill but could probably borrow one or hire one if absolutely necessary.

It's the type and size of fixing that I'm not certain about.

TIA
Pete

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. Just to clear up one or two comments. Although my neighbour has just had the post installed (and paid for it) it's actually jointly owned. It's on the boundary line between our properties and replaces the first one which I put in 30+ years ago. The passage way is approx 6ft wide and I'm hanging a pair of gates so Andrews suggestion wouldn't work.
Anyway, after consideration of your comments and much searching of t'internet I've decided to go with 8.5mm Masonry bolts. Mainly because they cut a screw thread in the concrete (and brick on t'other side) and don't rely on expansion of a plug for grip. This should help to prevent any breakout of the concrete which ISTR is very weak in tension but strong in compression.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2020 23:36, petek wrote:
[...]

Ok, but if your property is registered then the land registry will show
(using 'T' marks) where the boundary line is and who has the right
(but not the obligation) to erect a boundary fence or wall. This fence
or wall normally does not straddle the boundary (unlike a party wall)
but is wholly contained on the side of the boundary line of the owner.

If you and you neighbour are happy with the situation, that's fine, but
remember, one day he might sell up and move and the next owner might
be more 'difficult'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 7:46:29 PM UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your comments Andrew, which raise an interesting point. Nothing to do with the size of screws and plugs but interesting none the less!

We moved into this house when the estate was built in 1979. At that time, the builders left the back garden and passage unfinished (i.e. just rough ground)and the "boundary" line was delineated by a simple row of 3ft high concrete posts linked by 2 or 3 rows of wire. Eventually, with the agreement of my then neighbours, I replaced these with a 6ft high fence using concrete posts, concrete base panels and larch lap panels. I can't remember who paid for it, we probably split it 50/50. I don't recall being too fussy about the exact line of the fence and indeed it could have been a few inches either side of a theoretical boundary line. It's not caused any problems with 4 subsequent sets of neighbours.

The current neighbour is having some external work done and in the course of things has replaced some of the concrete fence posts. One of these is the one I'm intending to use as one side of my gate. He didn't actually ask my permission nor did I expect him to, he just got on with it after telling me what he was going to do. He hasn't asked me to contribute to the cost.

So in these circumstances who owns the fence and where exactly is the theoretical boundary line. On his side of the fence or mine? The house deeds are held by my building society so I haven't got easy access but I doubt if the scale of any plans would be such that the line could be determined within a few inches either way.

You sound as if you know more about these things than me so I'd be interested in your comments.

Cheers
Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suppose whoever paid for the post is ultimately its owner whichever side of the boundary it is on. Its like someone kicking a football into your garden you cannot claim it and it remains the property of whoever bought it, your not obliged to throw it back or do anything with it or even allow a person on your property to claim it.

I would have a word with your neighbour and explain the situation as you have here he seems reasonable having already replaced the post for you. What you do not want is a boundary dispute they do not end well for either party with only the lawyers making money out of it. A couple of inches here or there especially where it does not really matter is not worth getting worked up about.

Drilling through the post and using nuts & bolts is by far the best option, aim for the centre the rebar tends to be more in the corners.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:

I suppose whoever paid for the post is ultimately it's owner whichever
side of the boundary it is on. It's like someone kicking a football into
your garden you cannot claim it and it remains the property of whoever
bought it, your not obliged to throw it back or do anything with it or
even allow a person on your property to claim it.

If you permanently fix something to land or a building it may become the
property of the person to whom the land or building belongs. Not that
this changes the advice to agree a plan with the neighbour.

I would have a word with your neighbour and explain the situation as you
have here he seems reasonable having already replaced the post for you.
What you do not want is a boundary dispute they do not end well for either
party with only the lawyers making money out of it. A couple of inches
here or there especially where it does not really matter is not worth
getting worked up about.

Drilling through the post and using nuts & bolts is by far the best
option, aim for the centre the rebar tends to be more in the corners.

Richard

--

Roger Hayter