Posted to uk.d-i-y
petek[_2_] petek[_2_] is offline

Default Fixings into concrete fence post

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 7:32:16 PM UTC+1, petek wrote:
I'm planning to hang a pair of wooden garden gates between the house wall on one side and a concrete fence post on the other. The hinge posts (i.e. the wooden post fixed to both the wall and the fence post) will be 70mm square and approx 1.7m high hardwood. I'm thinking of 4 fixings for each post. Any suggestions re the type and size of plugs/screws?

Yes, I understand about the problems drilling into concrete fence posts. I don't have an SDS drill but could probably borrow one or hire one if absolutely necessary.

It's the type and size of fixing that I'm not certain about.

TIA
Pete

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. Just to clear up one or two comments. Although my neighbour has just had the post installed (and paid for it) it's actually jointly owned. It's on the boundary line between our properties and replaces the first one which I put in 30+ years ago. The passage way is approx 6ft wide and I'm hanging a pair of gates so Andrews suggestion wouldn't work.
Anyway, after consideration of your comments and much searching of t'internet I've decided to go with 8.5mm Masonry bolts. Mainly because they cut a screw thread in the concrete (and brick on t'other side) and don't rely on expansion of a plug for grip. This should help to prevent any breakout of the concrete which ISTR is very weak in tension but strong in compression.