Posted to uk.d-i-y
petek[_2_] petek[_2_] is offline

Default Fixings into concrete fence post

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 7:46:29 PM UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 14/05/2020 23:36, petek wrote:
On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 7:32:16 PM UTC+1, petek wrote:
I'm planning to hang a pair of wooden garden gates between the house wall on one side and a concrete fence post on the other. The hinge posts (i.e. the wooden post fixed to both the wall and the fence post) will be 70mm square and approx 1.7m high hardwood. I'm thinking of 4 fixings for each post. Any suggestions re the type and size of plugs/screws?

Yes, I understand about the problems drilling into concrete fence posts. I don't have an SDS drill but could probably borrow one or hire one if absolutely necessary.

It's the type and size of fixing that I'm not certain about.

TIA
Pete

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. Just to clear up one or two comments. Although my neighbour has just had the post installed (and paid for it) it's actually jointly owned. It's on the boundary line between our properties and replaces the first one which I put in 30+ years ago. The passage way is approx 6ft wide and I'm hanging a pair of gates so Andrews suggestion wouldn't work.
Anyway, after consideration of your comments and much searching of t'internet I've decided to go with 8.5mm Masonry bolts. Mainly because they cut a screw thread in the concrete (and brick on t'other side) and don't rely on expansion of a plug for grip. This should help to prevent any breakout of the concrete which ISTR is very weak in tension but strong in compression..

Ok, but if your property is registered then the land registry will show
(using 'T' marks) where the boundary line is and who has the right
(but not the obligation) to erect a boundary fence or wall. This fence
or wall normally does not straddle the boundary (unlike a party wall)
but is wholly contained on the side of the boundary line of the owner.

If you and you neighbour are happy with the situation, that's fine, but
remember, one day he might sell up and move and the next owner might
be more 'difficult'.

Thanks for your comments Andrew, which raise an interesting point. Nothing to do with the size of screws and plugs but interesting none the less!

We moved into this house when the estate was built in 1979. At that time, the builders left the back garden and passage unfinished (i.e. just rough ground)and the "boundary" line was delineated by a simple row of 3ft high concrete posts linked by 2 or 3 rows of wire. Eventually, with the agreement of my then neighbours, I replaced these with a 6ft high fence using concrete posts, concrete base panels and larch lap panels. I can't remember who paid for it, we probably split it 50/50. I don't recall being too fussy about the exact line of the fence and indeed it could have been a few inches either side of a theoretical boundary line. It's not caused any problems with 4 subsequent sets of neighbours.

The current neighbour is having some external work done and in the course of things has replaced some of the concrete fence posts. One of these is the one I'm intending to use as one side of my gate. He didn't actually ask my permission nor did I expect him to, he just got on with it after telling me what he was going to do. He hasn't asked me to contribute to the cost.

So in these circumstances who owns the fence and where exactly is the theoretical boundary line. On his side of the fence or mine? The house deeds are held by my building society so I haven't got easy access but I doubt if the scale of any plans would be such that the line could be determined within a few inches either way.

You sound as if you know more about these things than me so I'd be interested in your comments.

Cheers
Pete