Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fixings to secure posts into concrete foundations?

Hello, I am planning to build a well-insulated 'shed' type of office
with timber walls secured to thick timber posts, and with concrete
foundations.

I realise I could dig deep holes at each corner for the posts, and
leave it at that. But could someone tell me what those things are
called, made of galvanised steel, that you insert into the concrete
and then secure the posts to (or inser them into), and then tighten up
to make them rock solid?

In a bigger version they are used to secure tall signs to on petrol-
station forecourts; and at well-made 'temporary' buildings such as
some bird hides. I guess hundreds of uk.d-i-yers will know what they
are called! I'd be very grateful if someone could remind me, so it
will be easier for me to check them out.

Many thanks!

Best regards,

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI John

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 01:14:05 -0700 (PDT), John Nagelson
wrote:

Hello, I am planning to build a well-insulated 'shed' type of office
with timber walls secured to thick timber posts, and with concrete
foundations.

I realise I could dig deep holes at each corner for the posts, and
leave it at that. But could someone tell me what those things are
called, made of galvanised steel, that you insert into the concrete
and then secure the posts to (or inser them into), and then tighten up
to make them rock solid?

In a bigger version they are used to secure tall signs to on petrol-
station forecourts; and at well-made 'temporary' buildings such as
some bird hides. I guess hundreds of uk.d-i-yers will know what they
are called! I'd be very grateful if someone could remind me, so it
will be easier for me to check them out.

Many thanks!

Do you mean 'Metposts' ?
Come in a range of sizes, and with 'spikes' on the bottom or flat
plates with bolt-down holes....

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Thanks Adrian. Aren't they for fence-posts? I'm after something a bit
tougher, used e.g. for whopping great lamp-posts maybe?

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI John

wrote:
[...]

All depends g
There's three of the 4" spikey jobs holding down (or up ?) the
supports for my car port. Spikes were 18" long but we didn't have 18"
of earth to put them in - so shortened them and then set them in
concrete. Survived the gales last week - so can't be that bad g

There's probably a 'commercial' version available with larger sizes -
but I'm not aware of it. How many did you need - and what size ?

Would angle-iron set in concrete (or maybe 2 x ) do the job -
bolts through the angle into the wood ?

FWIW - when they built my new studio (12ft x 24ft) they embedded 3" x
1.5" steel frames into the concrete (one at each end and one in the
middle) and then used enormous self-tapping bolts (!) to screw the
timber framed panels to the supports. Very solid !

HTH
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Probably 4, maybe 6. Was thinking, to hold 6" square posts.

Would angle-iron set (or maybe 2 x ) do the job -
bolts through the angle into the wood ?

Maybe. I'm not up on the lingo - does this mean L-shapes??

FWIW - when they built my new studio (12ft x 24ft) they embedded 3"
x 1.5" steel frames into theconcrete(one at each end and one in the
middle) and then used enormous self-tapping bolts (!) to screw the
timber framed panels to the supports. Very solid !

I think maybe the things I'm after are like this:

http://www.powrfab.com/Pages/ConcreteB.html

I.e. three steel rectangles at right angles forming a
|_| shape (shown at the left),

or shaped:

|_|
|_|
(shown at the top).

The latter must be even stronger. Just so long as the concrete gets
all the way round the thing and holds it down for a few decades, I'll
be happy. :-)

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI John

wrote:
[...]

I guess it depends on 'precisely' what you want them to do.
If it's just a case of stopping the wooden posts from moving, then the
angle-iron solution might do the job for you.
A 'socketed' solution might be a bit overkill - but then, I don;t know
how exposed the location is...

Would angle-iron set (or maybe 2 x ) do the job -
bolts through the angle into the wood ?

Maybe. I'm not up on the lingo - does this mean L-shapes??

Yes - sort of right-angled....
traditionally made from old metal bedsteads (had a little trailer to
go behind the garden tractor that was made of the same stuff - worked
well !) - but you can buy, reasonably cheaply, metal fence posts made
from thickish angle iron - embedded in the concrete with a decent
coach-bolt through then your shed's not likely to be going anywhere...

FWIW - when they built my new studio (12ft x 24ft) they embedded 3"
x 1.5" steel frames into theconcrete(one at each end and one in the
middle) and then used enormous self-tapping bolts (!) to screw the
timber framed panels to the supports. Very solid !

I think maybe the things I'm after are like this:

http://www.powrfab.com/Pages/ConcreteB.html

I.e. three steel rectangles at right angles forming a
|_| shape (shown at the left),

or shaped:

|_|
|_|
(shown at the top).

Looks like joist hangers to me.....

You could use a couple of the u-shaped ones, bolted together so as to
make a

[_]
[ ]

Shape - and embed the bottom half in the concrete - then big bolts...

The latter must be even stronger. Just so long as the concrete gets
all the way round the thing and holds it down for a few decades, I'll
be happy. :-)

Don't know where in the world you are - but try making a simple
drawing of what you want and ask around either builders' merchants or
agricultural suppliers - I'm sure there will be something 'off the
shelf' that could be adapted.

HTH
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Nagelson wrote:
Hello, I am planning to build a well-insulated 'shed' type of office
with timber walls secured to thick timber posts, and with concrete
foundations.

I realise I could dig deep holes at each corner for the posts, and
leave it at that. But could someone tell me what those things are
called, made of galvanised steel, that you insert into the concrete
and then secure the posts to (or inser them into), and then tighten up
to make them rock solid?

In a bigger version they are used to secure tall signs to on petrol-
station forecourts; and at well-made 'temporary' buildings such as
some bird hides. I guess hundreds of uk.d-i-yers will know what they
are called! I'd be very grateful if someone could remind me, so it
will be easier for me to check them out.

You need Metpost 'Concrete Ins'.
http://www.metpost.co.uk/mp_concrete_in.html

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
John Nagelson wrote:
Hello, I am planning to build a well-insulated 'shed' type of office
with timber walls secured to thick timber posts, and with concrete
foundations.

I realise I could dig deep holes at each corner for the posts, and
leave it at that. But could someone tell me what those things are
called, made of galvanised steel, that you insert into the concrete
and then secure the posts to (or inser them into), and then tighten
up to make them rock solid?

In a bigger version they are used to secure tall signs to on petrol-
station forecourts; and at well-made 'temporary' buildings such as
some bird hides. I guess hundreds of uk.d-i-yers will know what they
are called! I'd be very grateful if someone could remind me, so it
will be easier for me to check them out.

You need Metpost 'Concrete Ins'.
http://www.metpost.co.uk/mp_concrete_in.html

I'm willing to bet that's not what the OP is thinking of however. I've seen
things that have a galvanised socket or "U" bracket for the post to sit in
which is welded to a galvanised rod that is then set into the concrete which
maintains free drainage of water away from the bottom of the post and keeps
it clear of any groundwater. I keeps the timber relatively dry and I guess
prevents any rot. Dunno what they're called though. ;-(

TIm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 20, 7:45 pm, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

You need Metpost 'ConcreteIns'.
http://www.metpost.co.uk/mp_concrete_in.html

I'm willing to bet that's not what the OP is thinking of
however.

Yes - I need something a little stronger, and bolts should definitely
be involved, rather than just wedging the posts in.

I've seen things that have a galvanised socket or "U" bracket for the post to sit in which is welded to a galvanised rod that is then
set into theconcretewhich maintains free drainage of water away
from the bottom of the post and keeps it clear of any
groundwater. I keeps the timber relatively dry and I guess
prevents any rot. Dunno what they're called though. ;-(

I've seen these too, where the bottom of the post is above the top of
the concrete, sometimes even with a gap, e.g.:

http://www.tamlyn.com/index_files/PostAnchors.htm

I'd prefer holders/brackets, though, where the concrete holds part of
the thing in a downwards direction rather than just squeezing it from
the sides.

Those Powrfab things might be the ticket. I may be wrong, but I think
they are made for the purpose I need, rather than for hanging joists?

http://www.powrfab.com/Pages/ConcreteB.html

Any idea where I might get them (or something similar) in the UK??

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Nagelson wrote:
On Mar 20, 7:45 pm, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

You need Metpost 'ConcreteIns'.
http://www.metpost.co.uk/mp_concrete_in.html

I'm willing to bet that's not what the OP is thinking of
however.

Yes - I need something a little stronger, and bolts should definitely
be involved, rather than just wedging the posts in.

There are two types, the wedge in and the bolt type.

I've seen things that have a galvanised socket or "U" bracket for
the post to sit in which is welded to a galvanised rod that is then

set into theconcretewhich maintains free drainage of water away
from the bottom of the post and keeps it clear of any
groundwater. I keeps the timber relatively dry and I guess
prevents any rot. Dunno what they're called though. ;-(

This any good?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/85498/...st-Anchor-Base

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman