Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to lift dried brass polish out of crevices

On 04/04/2020 13:45, Jimk wrote:
(D.M. Procida) Wrote
in message:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:

What will loosen decades-old dried brass polish in fine crevices

pressure washer

Just in case someone stumbles upon the answer above and might be tempted
to take it seriously: it's completely stupid, and I presume made as some
kind of unfunny joke, if not actually maliciously.

Maybe for the person whose life contains nothing less unformed or
delicate than slabs of concrete a pressure washer might seem like an
appropriate answer to questions about cleaning things.

conspiracy theory/climate change denial/anti-vaccination obsessions; at
least when you post about those it's obvious that one is reading the
delusions of a ranter, rather than something that risks being mistaken
for actual advice.

"It is not the truth of Marxism that explains the willingness of
intellectuals to believe it, but the power that it confers on
intellectuals, in their attempts to control the world. And since...it is
futile to reason someone out of a thing that he was not reasoned into,
we can conclude that Marxism owes its remarkable power to survive every
criticism to the fact that it is not a truth-directed but a
power-directed system of thought."

Pfft.

Or if it will help keep you out of trouble, find some Scruton to read;
as the unthinking person's philosopher, he's probably at about your
level, the "use a pressure washer" class of critical thinking.

Daniele

(It's a long running uk.d-i-y joke... perhaps if you read a bit
more than just the free answers to your own queries, you would
understand.
Oh & do calm down...)

Just so. The alternative would have been an angle grinder!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

What will loosen decades-old dried brass polish in fine crevices (on a
decorative Persian tray)?

I've heard suggestions from lemon juice and vinegar to WD-40.

Thanks for the various suggestions made here.

In the end, the only thing that works to extricate the polish is to use
a toothpick, but since this tray must have something several hundred
metres of fine crevices, that's not really an option.

Neither soaking overnight in a solution of washing-up liquid, nor
applying more aggressive solvents (vinegar, white spirit, various
alcohols) makes any difference, and doesn't appear to loosen the dried
material enough to brush it out - I think the crevices are just too fine
and the polish too tenacious.

(The tray was large enough for me to do a somewhat controlled experiment
with different solvents on different parts of it, but since none of them
appeared to make any difference at all, there's nothing interesting to
report about that.)

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2020 14:08, D.M. Procida wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:

[...]

Have you tried a glass fibre brush? It will 'polish' the brass and
remove any tarnish so may not be suitable, if you wish to preserve it,
but if you want to get polish as well... Wear gloves, the fibres are
nasty if they get in your fingers. The brushes look like thick
propelling pencils, the brush bits are replaceable. Available on Ebay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 14:08:47 +0100, D.M. Procida wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:

[...]

One of those portable little electrical steam cleaners (where the vapour is
ejected through a spout) comes to mind. Though I couldn't tell how the steam
would affect some of the patina that is perhaps wanted. But it's said to be
very effective on all kinds of gooey, mucous and hardened stuff, especially
in crevices, even on lime in the bathroom.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:

[...]

Sounds like its time to try the pressure washer approach. ;-)

Seriously, unless theres something unusually fragile about the tray I
cant see high pressure water doing half the amount of harm that polishes,
acids etc can cause.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

[...]

So you haven't actually tried a pressure washer have you?
scared of being shown to be wrong?

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

So you haven't actually tried a pressure washer have you?
scared of being shown to be wrong?

If I tell you that you'll be perfectly safe throwing yourself in front
of a bus, are you 'scared' or simply prudent if you don't want to try it
out?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2020 18:23, GB wrote:

So you haven't actually tried a pressure washer have you?
scared of being shown to be wrong?

If I tell you that you'll be perfectly safe throwing yourself in front
of a bus, are you 'scared' or simply prudent if you don't want to try it
out?

Try not to be sillier than you were actually born.

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:

(It's a long running uk.d-i-y joke... perhaps if you read a bit
more than just the free answers to your own queries, you would
understand.

Sadly even in these COVID-restricted days I don't have the time to keep
up with the ineffable bantz of uk.d-i-y.

I have enough self-awareness to realise I'm doing other people a favour
by taking rather than offering DIY advice (unlike some).

Daniele

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I am not a climate denier or an anti vaccinator. I follow the
scientific data which show clearly that vaccination works and CO2 has
minimal effect on global temperature.

It's science, you silly old arse, you don't get to pick and choose
according to your whims. You're not at the take-away asking for no
onions because they give you indigestion and flatulence.

My apologies for mixing you up with the wrong brand of anti-scientist, I
can't really be bothered to pick apart people's different kinds of
witchcraft preferences. You're all the same to me.

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I am not a climate denier or an anti vaccinator. I follow the
scientific data which show clearly that vaccination works and CO2 has
minimal effect on global temperature.

It's science, you silly old arse, you don't get to pick and choose
according to your whims. You're not at the take-away asking for no
onions because they give you indigestion and flatulence.

My apologies for mixing you up with the wrong brand of anti-scientist, I
can't really be bothered to pick apart people's different kinds of
witchcraft preferences. You're all the same to me.

Daniele

But have you tried pressure washing yet? Youve never explained why you
thought it was such a bad idea.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I am not a climate denier or an anti vaccinator. I follow the
scientific data which show clearly that vaccination works and CO2 has
minimal effect on global temperature.

It's science, you silly old arse, you don't get to pick and choose
according to your whims. You're not at the take-away asking for no
onions because they give you indigestion and flatulence.

My apologies for mixing you up with the wrong brand of anti-scientist, I
can't really be bothered to pick apart people's different kinds of
witchcraft preferences. You're all the same to me.

Daniele

But have you tried pressure washing yet? You've never explained why you
thought it was such a bad idea.

Why do you think I even have access to a pressure washer in the first
place? But if I did, it wouldn't occur to me to risk destroying
irreplaceable antiques with it.

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

On 05/04/2020 13:01, ARW wrote:
On 05/04/2020 12:55, GB wrote:
On 05/04/2020 07:18, Chris Hogg wrote:

So what is wrong with using a pressure washer? It's brass, so unless
it's something particularly delicate, it won't be damaged. A pressure
washer would do quite well. Explain your intemperate outburst.

If it's fully supported, a pressure washer might be okay. If it's not
supported, a pressure washer could turn a tray into a bowl.

I suspect that, although Daniele did not say this, it's an antique of
some sort. Even if not, it may represent many hours of craftsmanship,
and he wants to find a gentle yet effective method that will ease the
old polish out of the decoration.

She.

He, actually. It's an Italian male name.

This is him, the one in a smart suit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn4X2ZgZvsk

Here's a video with an improved mechanical design, and no need to
execute spectacular saves in the face of robotics live demo glitches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Jh1daCl60.

I think I mentioned the project here befo
https://www.brachiograph.art.

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:
[...]

Youve never mentioned €śirreplaceable antiques€ť before nor have said why
you think high pressure water would damage brass.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2020 19:12, D.M. Procida wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I am not a climate denier or an anti vaccinator. I follow the
scientific data which show clearly that vaccination works and CO2 has
minimal effect on global temperature.

It's science, you silly old arse, you don't get to pick and choose
according to your whims. You're not at the take-away asking for no
onions because they give you indigestion and flatulence.

My apologies for mixing you up with the wrong brand of anti-scientist, I
can't really be bothered to pick apart people's different kinds of
witchcraft preferences. You're all the same to me.

Daniele

The problem is that it is the people who support global warming who are
anti science - as has been proved repeatedly.

REAL scientist know the score, but keep their mouths shut whilst
employed at universities to avoid losing their jobs

To believe in CO2 induced global warming requires that you are dishonest
or not a scientist or are rather dim.

Which are you?

--
€śSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€ť

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2020 21:50, Tim+ wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I am not a climate denier or an anti vaccinator. I follow the
scientific data which show clearly that vaccination works and CO2 has
minimal effect on global temperature.

It's science, you silly old arse, you don't get to pick and choose
according to your whims. You're not at the take-away asking for no
onions because they give you indigestion and flatulence.

My apologies for mixing you up with the wrong brand of anti-scientist, I
can't really be bothered to pick apart people's different kinds of
witchcraft preferences. You're all the same to me.

Daniele

But have you tried pressure washing yet? Youve never explained why you
thought it was such a bad idea.

I think its because he is rather dim, or not a scientist.

It sure works to get the crud out of cracks and crevices in cars

Tim

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2020 10:11, D.M. Procida wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:
[...]

What irreplaceable antiques would those be?
So you admit you don't have a pressure washer, have never used one and
therefore have no clue as to whether it would be destructive or not
Your opinions on matters DIY count for as little as your opinions on
climate change and for the same reason. Your opinions are based on
egotism and not on experience.

You are just a pretentious code monkey
Stick to your narrow areas of expertise

Daniele

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2020 13:22:27, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 25/04/2020 19:12, D.M. Procida wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I am not a climate denier or an anti vaccinator. I follow the
scientific data which show clearly that vaccination works and CO2 has
minimal effect on global temperature.

It's science, you silly old arse, you don't get to pick and choose
according to your whims. You're not at the take-away asking for no
onions because they give you indigestion and flatulence.

My apologies for mixing you up with the wrong brand of anti-scientist, I
can't really be bothered to pick apart people's different kinds of
witchcraft preferences. You're all the same to me.

Daniele

The problem is that it is the people who support global warming who are
anti science - as has been proved repeatedly.

Quite the opposite. It has not been shown repeatedly.

REAL scientist know the score, but keep their mouths shut whilst
employed at universities to avoid losing their jobs

To believe in CO2 induced global warming requires that you are dishonest
or not a scientist or are rather dim.

And someone who doesn't keep an open mind leaving it to those who know
more than you; it would be called burying your head in the sand.

Which are you?

None of the above.