Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to wash out/remove dried out soluble coolant

I have a particular machine where soluble oil/metalworking fluid has
dried out in the sump. How do I remove the dried out stuff to prevent
clogging of the fluid system with the remnants of the old dried out
stuff.

The substance is called hangsterfer S500.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8543 fired this volley in
:

I have a particular machine where soluble oil/metalworking fluid has
dried out in the sump. How do I remove the dried out stuff to prevent
clogging of the fluid system with the remnants of the old dried out
stuff.

Hot TSP solution will not only soften and remove the old stuff, but also
clean the metal of the tank.

Make up a strong solution -- say a cup TSP per gallon, and heat it up to
near-boiling, either in a separate pot or in the tank with an immersion
heater. Let it work for as long as you can stand. A couple of days of
soaking will get it all pretty much limbered up and removable.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
. 3.70:

I have a particular machine where soluble oil/metalworking fluid has
dried out in the sump. How do I remove the dried out stuff to prevent
clogging of the fluid system with the remnants of the old dried out
stuff.

PS... it's not only dried, but oxidized to a varnish. Varnish is not
water-soluble. But strong, hot TSP solution is ALSO a "varnish remover"
G.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-01-21, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus8543 fired this volley in
:

I have a particular machine where soluble oil/metalworking fluid has
dried out in the sump. How do I remove the dried out stuff to prevent
clogging of the fluid system with the remnants of the old dried out
stuff.

Hot TSP solution will not only soften and remove the old stuff, but also
clean the metal of the tank.

Make up a strong solution -- say a cup TSP per gallon, and heat it up to
near-boiling, either in a separate pot or in the tank with an immersion
heater. Let it work for as long as you can stand. A couple of days of
soaking will get it all pretty much limbered up and removable.

Lloyd

Awesome, and easy, thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
Ignoramus8543 fired this volley in
:

I have a particular machine where soluble oil/metalworking fluid has
dried out in the sump. How do I remove the dried out stuff to prevent
clogging of the fluid system with the remnants of the old dried out
stuff.

Hot TSP solution will not only soften and remove the old stuff, but also
clean the metal of the tank.

Make up a strong solution -- say a cup TSP per gallon, and heat it up to
near-boiling, either in a separate pot or in the tank with an immersion
heater. Let it work for as long as you can stand. A couple of days of
soaking will get it all pretty much limbered up and removable.

Spray on oven cleaner removes it in seconds.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 20:49:27 -0600, Ignoramus8543

On 2014-01-21, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus8543 fired this volley in
:

I have a particular machine where soluble oil/metalworking fluid has
dried out in the sump. How do I remove the dried out stuff to prevent
clogging of the fluid system with the remnants of the old dried out
stuff.

Hot TSP solution will not only soften and remove the old stuff, but also
clean the metal of the tank.

Make up a strong solution -- say a cup TSP per gallon, and heat it up to
near-boiling, either in a separate pot or in the tank with an immersion
heater. Let it work for as long as you can stand. A couple of days of
soaking will get it all pretty much limbered up and removable.

Lloyd

Awesome, and easy, thanks

Just be sure you get real TSP. With the rampant greenies out there,
there are a lot of fake TSPs on shelves now. Like the "green" mineral
spirits, which don't work worth a hoot.

-
To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want
to change the world who are causing all the trouble.
--Anonymous
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley
in :

Spray on oven cleaner removes it in seconds.

which is also a strongly-basic cleaner (mostly lye).

However, that won't get it out of nooks and crannies you can't reach with
the spray. It's great for open surfaces, though, and won't hurt
steel/iron. Eats hell out of Al, but then, so does TSP.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2014-01-21, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

Yes. Sellers of real TSP spell the chemical name out on the box, so
there can be no confusion.

The standard brand is Savogran and is available at real paint stores.
Hardware stores often have only "TSP", which is usually sodium
silicate, which will not work.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PS... it's not only dried, but oxidized to a varnish. Varnish is not
water-soluble. But strong, hot TSP solution is ALSO a "varnish remover"

If it really has oxidized/polymerized, TSP would be my distant 2nd
choice. Lye would be much better; 1 lb/g or stronger.

Lye is much harder to find. It used to found in hardware stores, e.g.,
Red Devil brand, for cleaning drains. But it was being used in drug
mfg, IIRC, and isn't carried anymore. I get mine online, from a
soap-making supplies place.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in message . 3.70...
"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley
in :

Spray on oven cleaner removes it in seconds.

which is also a strongly-basic cleaner (mostly lye).

Yup.

However, that won't get it out of nooks and crannies you can't reach with
the spray. It's great for open surfaces, though, and won't hurt
steel/iron. Eats hell out of Al, but then, so does TSP.

Don't leave more than a couple minutes unless the paint is epoxy base.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley
in :

Spray on oven cleaner removes it in seconds.

which is also a strongly-basic cleaner (mostly lye).

However, that won't get it out of nooks and crannies you can't reach with
the spray. It's great for open surfaces, though, and won't hurt
steel/iron. Eats hell out of Al, but then, so does TSP.

Lloyd

Oh, and another thing that melts away grime amazingly well is to spray it
with ether starting fluid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

PS... it's not only dried, but oxidized to a varnish. Varnish is not
water-soluble. But strong, hot TSP solution is ALSO a "varnish remover"

If it really has oxidized/polymerized, TSP would be my distant 2nd
choice. Lye would be much better; 1 lb/g or stronger.

Lye is much harder to find. It used to found in hardware stores, e.g.,
Red Devil brand, for cleaning drains. But it was being used in drug
mfg, IIRC, and isn't carried anymore. I get mine online, from a
soap-making supplies place.

I bought a can of Drano Crystals at Lowe's recently. It was the only
place I could find it around here.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I bought a can of Drano Crystals at Lowe's recently. It was the only
place I could find it around here.

If you're going to use it for something other than drain cleaning, do a
test first. I once tried to use Drano as a paint remover, cause I had
used lye to do it and I thought Drano was just lye. It was a disaster -
there was some other ingredient in the Drano that contaminated the work.

Here's where I get lye:
http://www.essentialdepot.com/servle...ade/Categories

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 2:08:15 AM UTC-5, Michael Terrell wrote:

have a DD2l4, and a honorable discharge.

Yeah, right! I noticed that with Gingrich, Cain, Santorum, Jeb Bush, Chris Cristie, Mitt Romney and all of his sons.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

. 3.70...
"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley
in :

Spray on oven cleaner removes it in seconds.

which is also a strongly-basic cleaner (mostly lye).

However, that won't get it out of nooks and crannies you can't reach with
the spray. It's great for open surfaces, though, and won't hurt
steel/iron. Eats hell out of Al, but then, so does TSP.

Lloyd

Oh, and another thing that melts away grime amazingly well is to spray it
with ether starting fluid.

This does work well, but do it outside, even if the weather is
unpleasant.

Ether fumes are extremely flammable, and if used in a basement, may
find their way to the pilot of the gas-fired hot water heater and
explode. Or be set off by the spark in a light switch or a control
relay.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/20/2014 5:59 PM, Ignoramus8543 wrote:
[...]

From a condom? Why don't you just buy another one, cheapskate?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:47:27 AM UTC-8, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley

in :

Spray on oven cleaner removes it in seconds.

....won't hurt

steel/iron. Eats hell out of Al, but then, so does TSP.

I've used TSP on aluminum, without problems. Lye, and washing soda
(OxyClean and such) are the aluminum (and aluminum/zinc alloy) molesters.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 18:29:31 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

whit3rd fired this volley in news:45a8eead-9f88-4d08-
:

I've used TSP on aluminum, without problems. Lye, and washing soda
(OxyClean and such) are the aluminum (and aluminum/zinc alloy)

molesters.

Dilute lye can be used on it, too (for a time). Hot, concentrated TSP is
quite corrosive to aluminum; enough so that it's sometimes used as a
prep etch alone or in combination with other etchants, because it also
acts as a surfactant to wash the item clean after etching.

All sorts of things, actually, can vigorously attack aluminum because of
where it is on the electromotive series. Lest you think I'm crazy, let
me warn you that this is not obvious -- but water with a pH just barely
basic of neutral attacks aluminum VIGOROUSLY under certain circumstances;
so vigorously that it can cause substances to heat to the point of
ignition.

All of us pyrotechnics guys are aware of the dangers of water and
aluminum. There have been numerous fires, many burns, and a few deaths
because of it.

What's the best cleaner for baked-on crap on a toaster oven aluminum
pan? The perimeter of...er, someone's, is just black with it.

Oven cleaner contains lye and is contraindicated.

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.

Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

What's the best cleaner for baked-on crap on a toaster oven aluminum
pan? The perimeter of...er, someone's, is just black with it.

Oven cleaner contains lye and is contraindicated.

The first thing I'd do with it is simply boil it for a time. It's amazing
what hot water can jar loose, given time.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 21:47:48 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

What's the best cleaner for baked-on crap on a toaster oven aluminum
pan? The perimeter of...er, someone's, is just black with it.

Oven cleaner contains lye and is contraindicated.

The first thing I'd do with it is simply boil it for a time. It's amazing
what hot water can jar loose, given time.

Sounds like a plan. I'll toss it on the BBQ, full of water, after my
steak is done.

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.
-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807

Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Lloyd
E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

What's the best cleaner for baked-on crap on a toaster oven aluminum
pan? The perimeter of...er, someone's, is just black with it.

Oven cleaner contains lye and is contraindicated.

The first thing I'd do with it is simply boil it for a time. It's amazing
what hot water can jar loose, given time.

Many commercial dishwashing detergents are rated for "boiling out" a
deep fryer. Given the wide use of aluminum in food service equipment,
I bet there are detergents suited for use in boiling out an aluminum
utensil.

Here's one:
http://www.discoinc.com/index.php?displaycat=yes&subcat=yes&subcatid=90

The key is "metal safe".

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2014-01-21, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

I bought 4 lbs of TSP today, I hope that it will work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-01-22, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

PS... it's not only dried, but oxidized to a varnish. Varnish is not
water-soluble. But strong, hot TSP solution is ALSO a "varnish remover"

If it really has oxidized/polymerized, TSP would be my distant 2nd
choice. Lye would be much better; 1 lb/g or stronger.

Lye is much harder to find. It used to found in hardware stores, e.g.,
Red Devil brand, for cleaning drains. But it was being used in drug
mfg, IIRC, and isn't carried anymore. I get mine online, from a
soap-making supplies place.

I bought a can of Drano Crystals at Lowe's recently. It was the only
place I could find it around here.

I have those crystals at home too
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-01-22, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I bought a can of Drano Crystals at Lowe's recently. It was the only
place I could find it around here.

If you're going to use it for something other than drain cleaning, do a
test first. I once tried to use Drano as a paint remover, cause I had
used lye to do it and I thought Drano was just lye. It was a disaster -
there was some other ingredient in the Drano that contaminated the work.

Here's where I get lye:
http://www.essentialdepot.com/servle...ade/Categories

Bob

they seem to have it unavailable

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-01-22, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Here's where I get lye:
http://www.essentialdepot.com/servle...ade/Categories

they seem to have it unavailable

Oh no! I hope that it's not a matter of them taking it off the market.

Oh, wait ... they still have "food grade". I always bought "tech
grade", thinking that it would be cheaper. Nut the food grade is
actually cheaper:

http://www.essentialdepot.com/servle...ade/Categories

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-01-22, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Here's where I get lye:
http://www.essentialdepot.com/servle...ade/Categories

they seem to have it unavailable

Oh no! I hope that it's not a matter of them taking it off the
market.

Oh, wait ... they still have "food grade". I always bought "tech
grade", thinking that it would be cheaper. Nut the food grade is
actually cheaper:

http://www.essentialdepot.com/servle...ade/Categories

Bob

Food grade caustic soda??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lye_roll

Carbon dioxide from the heating flame normally neutralizes it.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=6442,396938

jsw